Say it loud...say it proud, Fred Taylor!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hello Mods. I hope you don't mind.

The NCAA took immediate action:

1648756817509.png

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is why NIL isn’t the end of the world. It‘s been happening for decades. Just because fans represented in the above picture are finally seeing it doesn’t mean the sport is collapsing. Taylor took UGA for 50K while todays guys are taking much more and still portaling. It’s all awesome to watch, Ewers took a million from Ohio State and never played a down. Just think how much Clemson paid for our new linemen and now he’ll be playing against them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that this confirms for many that “amateur” athletics was a sham all along.

Who got caught, who was hailed as a model student athlete, who had to give up Olympic gold medals, it was all the luck of the draw and had nothing to do with any kind of consistent standard.

Too bad.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
More proof to show to those idiot UGa fans who still claim their program was clean. Listen, some UGa fans have actually argued with me that the SAT scores are higher at Georgia than GT and in their mind this eliminates our excuse for poor recruiting.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
More proof to show to those idiot UGa fans who still claim their program was clean. Listen, some UGa fans have actually argued with me that the SAT scores are higher at Georgia than GT and in their mind this eliminates our excuse for poor recruiting.
Haven't you learned by now that you can't argue with stupid?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Do Tech fans really believe we’ve never paid a player in our history?
I couldn't agree more. I think we try to contrast ourselves vs. uGA and other factory schools, but the thought that we haven't participated in this stuff to some degree is crazy. Every school broke the rules, some more than others. NIL just gets everything out in the open now.

The thought that all of these players are "amateurs" in respect to football and basketball has not been true for 40ish years. NCAA football is a de facto minor league that the NFL does not have to pay to upkeep. It is done with tv deals, advertising money, public funds (for state schools) and student tuition and athletic fee's. You gotta tip your hat to the NFL because it is ingenious. Cash in on the draft combine and event while not having to pay minor league salaries. Of course there are many players at the P5 level that are not being paid, but you better bet that the elite ones have been getting illegal benefits for years.