Saturday scrimmage at Pope HS

Deleted member 2897

One of the member of CGC's staff moved into our neighborhood, and we (and our wives) have become friends. I was able to help another staff member out due to my line of work, so have gotten to know a few of the guys. CBK and I were actually in school together as well, so we have some mutual friends.

I wouldn’t expect to share your address so I could move in and try and make friends too, so how about you share your next door neighbors address so we can protect your privacy. :p

Deleted member 2897

I love the reports coming out of Fall camp, but none of this makes any more or less optimistic about the upcoming season. We are probably going to get our butts kicked at Clemson, then be pretty competitive for most of the remaining games. I am not expecting us to win 8 or 9 games this year, but I also do not think we will be last in the Coastal.

The thing that “concerns” me is all the reports about plays being made by walk-ons and 4th stringers. Those guys are either not getting playing time in the real games, or our scholarship recruits are getting pushed by the wrong people. For example, I’m pretty sure I read our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string Centers are walk-ons with Cooper out again.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The thing that “concerns” me is all the reports about plays being made by walk-ons and 4th stringers. Those guys are either not getting playing time in the real games, or our scholarship recruits are getting pushed by the wrong people. For example, I’m pretty sure I read our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string Centers are walk-ons with Cooper out again.
1st Morgan is not a walk on and Sean Bedford said hi.

It's still early this is when they see who is ( above the line ) the last 2 weeks before the season is when they put their game plan in for the Clemson game don't worry about it till the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know Morgan is starting at Center, so that's a good sign. Second, having a good player as a walk-on break into the lineup isn't the problem. If you get a bunch of them its an indictment of the regular scholarship players.
I don't know for a fact Morgan is starting at center I know he was working out there and I thought Cooper was moving to OG or OT but again I don't know for a fact .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree that he won't see any meaningful action, but with the redshirt rule, I wonder if he'll get a chance to get on the field at some point this season. Really looking forward to seeing Griffin, Brown and Yates in their third year and beyond in this system.

Thanks for befriending one if our coaches. Hope u can provide insites while maintaining the friendcship.

I 2 am optimistic we will see significant improvement in year 3 and after.

I think we are very likely to add in a couple of recruiting classes that have a few ready to contribute freshman. We should see continued contributions from r s srs like we have this year. Plus three years of S &C and learning to play fast are pretty much a given.

Please keeo posting your filtered content.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know Morgan is starting at Center, so that's a good sign. Second, having a good player as a walk-on break into the lineup isn't the problem. If you get a bunch of them its an indictment of the regular scholarship players.

Actually having walk-ons getting PT is an indication that were are making good decisions (at least with the preferred walk-ons) recruiting and coaching up the players. I also believe CPJ had somewhat of a pecking order for practice reps and so far CGC is getting everybody lots of looks. I see walk-ons moving up the ladder as a good thing, both for team performance and for morale.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Actually having walk-ons getting PT is an indication that were are making good decisions (at least with the preferred walk-ons) recruiting and coaching up the players. I also believe CPJ had somewhat of a pecking order for practice reps and so far CGC is getting everybody lots of looks. I see walk-ons moving up the ladder as a good thing, both for team performance and for morale.
I think we will see MANY more players participate in ALL games- not just mop up/blowout games. I never felt that CPJ's staff had enough "quality " depth
( above the line ), especially on the OL. It really started to show as the season wore on. Hopefully we will have more, fresher, bodies available all year long this year, and in years to come.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is why having all those reps in practice makes sense. It helps us figure out who can compete and deliver the level of production needed to succeed in game minutes.

If we can have fresher players in all three phases of the game it’ll only be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know for a fact Morgan is starting at center I know he was working out there and I thought Cooper was moving to OG or OT but again I don't know for a fact .
I heard in an interview that the 1st center as of last week was William Lay, who is a walk-on.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
With all the 5 Star recruits at Clemson, WR Hunter Renfro had more TD's against Alabama in 3 National Championship Games than any other receiver in the SEC. FWIW, that's WALK-ON Hunter Renfro!