Saturday scrimmage against Miss State

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
According to the AJC, Heath did not play in the scrimmage - which makes it a little more impressive to me.
Maybe this team will win a little closer to the 12 games I hope for than the 9 games I expect.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
According to the AJC, Heath did not play in the scrimmage - which makes it a little more impressive to me.
Maybe this team will win a little closer to the 12 games I hope for than the 9 games I expect.

Agree. I actually think we can win 3-4 conference games and most of non-conference for a decent season for a complete rebuild.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Following the brave lead of ESPN and the other talking heads, I figured I'd take a look at the GT scheudle having never seen this team play or any of the opponents play...

Wins I hope we can count on (9)
Tenn Tech, Southern, Ohio, Sam Houston, Tulane, Alcorn State, Wofford, NC A&T, Tusculum

Games I think are winnable but we could also lose (4)
Penn State, Tennessee, VCU, BC

Likely losses (18)
UGA, all 9 ACC road games, 8 home ACC games

Hope I'm wrong, but I would see a 12-19 regular season as the ceiling for this club and pretty unlikely. You never know, so fingers crossed..

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone confirmed Mississippi State was coaching and playing to win? Many coaches use these games to test rotations, work on new things, etc. Trying not to be cynical but I'm wondering how/why season predictions are changing. Been busy so maybe I missed some news.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket , I agree. Not changing my outlook. We play 7 teams that any div 1 program should beat, plus two very weak mid-major programs (Ohio & Tulane). Other than that, I think winning one or two of the remaining 22 games is our most likely case

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Has anyone confirmed Mississippi State was coaching and playing to win? Many coaches use these games to test rotations, work on new things, etc. Trying not to be cynical but I'm wondering how/why season predictions are changing. Been busy so maybe I missed some news.
I see your point, and given the curtain behind which this scrimmage was held, there is nothing more than guessing about how the "game" progressed. That said, these kids all want to win, and the coaches want to see how different lineups work together. Just how much playing time a kid might get this season is always in jeopardy during these early season games. My college coach used to say that "players who will not give effort in practice cannot give effort in games." Maybe he meant that to mean they were going to be on the bench if they didn't show up in practice. Players understand that dynamic and most of them respect it.

So, even if Miss State was trying out things, they were trying to win. And, I think our staff was also trying different combinations. A win (or good showing) is an unexpected positive no matter how it happened.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Howland was quoted as saying his team had a long way to go after our scrimmage. I honesty thought we'd get killed so the fact that we actually won and the positive comments from coaches after has me optimistic we can win a few more than expected. Although, the biggest thing I am looking for is improvement from November to March.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Following the brave lead of ESPN and the other talking heads, I figured I'd take a look at the GT scheudle having never seen this team play or any of the opponents play...

Wins I hope we can count on (9)
Tenn Tech, Southern, Ohio, Sam Houston, Tulane, Alcorn State, Wofford, NC A&T, Tusculum

Games I think are winnable but we could also lose (4)
Penn State, Tennessee, VCU, BC

Likely losses (18)
UGA, all 9 ACC road games, 8 home ACC games

Hope I'm wrong, but I would see a 12-19 regular season as the ceiling for this club and pretty unlikely. You never know, so fingers crossed..

I expect GT to be an underdog in 3 of the four winnable games you mentioned.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have been wrong on so many of my preseason predictions in the past that I am OK waiting to see how things develop. My expectations are low enough right now that I can hardly be disappointed.