Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Eric, Apr 13, 2013.
If anyone attends please post your thoughts...as I did last week I will post mine late tonight.
It was such a sloppy day it's hard to sum up my thoughts. The only people that really stood out were Dennis Andrews and Adam Gotsis. Dennis must have ran for 100+ yards and Gotsis stripped Vad around the 5 yard line. The strip wasn't counted as a fumble but in a real game that would have been a fumble. Justin Thomas fumbeled multiple times in the pistol, as did Vad Lee. Not a good day for the QBs. Charles Perkins seems like he has gotten use to the B-Back position as he made some quality dives today.
Other than that, I hope Lynn Griffin and Dominick Noble aren't badly hurt. It seems like the defense is reading the offense pretty well. Let's hope our defense has improved and the offense just had an off day.
Could a lot of the fumbles be due to the inconsistency in the o line?
Practice was definitely sloppy this morning, it seems the backup centers are really struggling with the shotgun snap and in keeping pressure out of the backfield. There were numerous times when penetration up the middle led to additional fumbles because the backs were being hit at the same time as the handoffs. A few other thoughts are below:
• I thought Vad had better command of the offense than last year and is showing improvement on his pitch/keep reads. He reeled off a 60+ yard run and another for probably 30-40 yards in addition to having some good last minute pitches that led to decent gains. That being said, he started real slow and along with Thomas had some fumbles, mostly on snaps
• Vad completed a couple of crossing routes to A-Backs for decent gains (Andrews , Days, Bostic?) and had a great rollout to the left hitting Bostic on a deep flag pattern for about 40-50 yards in the air on a terrific throw. He also made a terrible decision on a throw back across his body rolling to his right as he was about to get to the sideline that was intercepted and returned for a TD by Milton
• On the drive after his INT, Milton made a good play on a deep ball thrown to Summers breaking it up in the end zone. I can’t recall one pass completion to a WR today
• Laskey broke a long one for about 60 yards and seems a little quicker or more aggressive than last season
• Justin Thomas was solid and played a little more with the 1’s than he did last week. At one point after Vad had fumbled two times in a short period Johnson put Thomas in to replace Vad with the 1’s. He broke off a few good runs but nothing of note in the passing game besides showing escapability in the pocket and extending plays
• Matt Connors had a really good scrimmage with a couple of long runs with the 2’s and 3’s.
• Snoddy played a fair amount with the 2’s and a little with the 1’s and had a few decent runs between 10-20 yards and a longer one for about 30. Showed a little more toughness in the middle than I had seen previously. His speed is noticeable and on the longer run he was tripped up by the safety by his ankles otherwise he would have had a 70 yard TD.
• Dennis Andrews was really impressive today. He broke off 3 long runs from the ‘Diamond’ formation (QB in pistol flanked by 2 AB’s and a BB behind the QB) where they do an inside handoff on a read option play including some good moves and broken tackles in the open field. He also had a good catch on a crossing pattern
• On Defense, Milton had a couple of big plays and Harrell, Attaochu, Lynn Griffin all came up with some big hits. Gotsis was solid and he and Cummings had a couple of TFL, getting to the QB during the mesh. Hard to get a read on the D-Line with injuries on O-Line but they were getting a strong push up the middle most of the scrimmage and Attaochu came up with good pressure on a few occasions.
• Perkins ran with the 3’s, but is clearly behind Sims, Laskey, Snoddy and he appeared to be behind Connors as well (may be b/c he is working back from injury). He had a couple of runs between 5-15 yards, but nothing explosive.
• Kickers looked good again, I believe they hit all of their attempts including a couple over 40.
• Noble was carted off the field, knee injury perhaps?
Not even remotely due to O-Line. We fumbeled out of the pistol almost 6 times.
Thanks for the notes guys! Keep them coming
Yes thank you all very much.
Things that impressed me today:
Scully 52yd FG
The defense was "attacking and swarming" took good angles, wrapped up and tackled well in the open field
Couldn't agree more.
Official notes from ramblinwreck.com
Coach seemed to fall on the sword.
"It's pretty hard to play when every other play the snap goes over (the quarterback's) head," Johnson said. "We have to do a better job of coaching that (the snap)."
Noble injury looks to be serious. Big blow to CB depth.
Best thing about today was my SUV did not get towed. The Deck was maxed out so I parked where I probably should not have and worried about getting towed the whole practice.
A lot of good and bad today. Vad looked pretty good on some runs, some nifty last minute opiton pitches to the A backs and a long pass to Bostic but he also threw a pick and fumbled when he was blindsided again by Anthony Williams. Sims did not get many touches put looked pretty good. Laskey was running hard and bringing the pain. Chuck Perkins got some carries against the 3rd and 4th team and looked pretty good. Matt Conners had the run of the day but again it was against the scrubs. Andrews and Synjyn had good runs and Andrews looks like he is a smooth operator once he gets in gear. May have a player there. Justin did not show too much today. He got whacked early and I think he hurt his right arm in some way. He never showed much after that. Byerly looked more like a third string QB today than last week. I think that was because he was going against the number 2 defense this week mostly and not against the number 3 d like last week. The receivers must have rarely got open because we were unable to get many passes off and the QB's usually ended up either getting sacked or scrambling for short gains. The offensive line is just not getting it done. I think they all need a swift kick in the ***.
The defense looked pretty good again. Our front four of Attaochu, Gotsis, Cumming and Crenshaw were stout and Kitchens, Gamble, Williams and Stargel showed up some as well. The linebackers are looking stout. Nealy and Hankins were laying the wood. Marcodes and McNair made some plays as well. Drummond looked better today also. The D Backs are doing fine. Jemea and Louis played well and DJ White filled in some. Noble went down with what looked to be a significant leg injury and is probably done for this season. The safeties of Golden and Milton both look real good. Griffin made some plays as well. Milton turned his ankle but made the interception on Vad and layed some tackles prior to getting hurt. I think he will be OK. Golden got a shoulder stinger when he came in and hammered Laskey but he got back in there later. Roof has the D playing with some fire and I like what I am seeing on that side of the ball.
Justin Moore kicked some fantastic field goals so maybe he has his crap together this year and can help the team win some games.
Overall a mixed bag today with the Defense staying ahead of the offense. Things will stay that way until we get some offensive linemen that care enough to execute their assignments properly. We have the talent we just are not using it right now.
I would love to hear from everyone and Eric on this question...If the Oline is really playing that bad( I know Burden,Bailey,&Finch are out) can we expect CHris Griffin or Devine to play this year?
No. Take the OL troubles with a grain of salt. I would be worried if any of our starters were injured during the season. The quality of depth is not as good as originally believed
Yeah the depth doesn't look as good as it once did. I am sad to see that E. Joe and B. Chamberlain haven't developed more.
I hope we can Redshirt both guys
I think Erin Joe is not going to be a contributor. Braun is not as good as I originally thought, Chamberlin is fair, O'Reilly does not look that good and Alford just is not mean enough so we are not going to have a stout second team line. If we can get Finch, Bailey and Jackson healthy and keep Mason and Beno well, we will have a pretty good starting five. Hopefully we can find one or two guys that can play behind those five. Our offensive line needs to come up with a different nickname. They do not play like the goon squad they play like the Gang that can't shoot straight. I think we need to find a new offensive line coach. Sewak is just not demanding enough out of these guys and neither is Johnson.
Not a lot to add to the thoughts already posted.
Was a very sloppy day...fumbles, bad blocking, etc.
It is awful to watch our WR core right now.
Noble injury isn't as bad as was first thought...about the only good news.
I will say I am impressed with some things the D has done so far.
Devine needs to lose weight and Chris needs to add some.
However if the guards aren't getting it done they will give Devine a chance...I would be surprised to see him this season though.
Separate names with a comma.