Running Back Review

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Going into spring practice, Georgia Tech’s three running back spots are firm at the top, with the return of All-ACC B-back KirVonte Benson (1,053 rushing yards, six rushing touchdowns) and A-backs Clinton Lynch (career 9.6 yards-per-carry average) and Qua Searcy (four scrimmage plays of 30 yards or more in 40 touches in 2017).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Going into spring practice, Georgia Tech’s three running back spots are firm at the top, with the return of All-ACC B-back KirVonte Benson (1,053 rushing yards, six rushing touchdowns) and A-backs Clinton Lynch (career 9.6 yards-per-carry average) and Qua Searcy (four scrimmage plays of 30 yards or more in 40 touches in 2017).
Great news I think GT will get a ton of rushing yards in 2018:cool:

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It feels like Clinton Lynch has been here for a decade. I feel like the running backs are going to be a strong point with all of the experience this year. Clinton Lynch has a great ability to get open in traffic, we need to take advantage of that more. In 15 he average thirty yards per catch. If Marshal is to take the next step as a quarterback he needs to get Lynch the ball in the air. I don't think 3 receptions is going to get it done this year.

upload_2018-3-16_14-56-2.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
By all reports, Lynch was injured at the start last year and never really came back 100%. When I read that it explained a lot; he just didn't seem to have the same burst at the LOS last year. That hurt because we didn't block the edge in 2016 much better then we did in 2017, but we got a lot more yards out there. Part of that was JT, of course; having a mustache-twirling gambler at QB helps in an option O. But part of it was that Lynch was obviously having a harder time breaking free on the pitches he got.

I hope he's completely ok by next season. We need him to return to form. And for TaQuon to read the edge better, of course.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Alas, running backs are the least of our worries. Except that I would like for the A backs to block better and for Marshall to get them the ball in space. I don't care how he does it but when our A backs can get the ball either receiving or running good things usually happen. For one, the other team's safeties have to start playing honest for a change.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No Taquon Marshall? I guess that there is no designation of "under center back".. he did lead the team in rushing yards and rush attempts. He is definitely not a "passing" back.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
By all reports, Lynch was injured at the start last year and never really came back 100%. When I read that it explained a lot; he just didn't seem to have the same burst at the LOS last year. That hurt because we didn't block the edge in 2016 much better then we did in 2017, but we got a lot more yards out there. Part of that was JT, of course; having a mustache-twirling gambler at QB helps in an option O. But part of it was that Lynch was obviously having a harder time breaking free on the pitches he got.

I hope he's completely ok by next season. We need him to return to form. And for TaQuon to read the edge better, of course.

A lot of Lynch's touches last year were not quality touches due to bad reads. That goes for the other A-Backs as well.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of Lynch's touches last year were not quality touches due to bad reads. That goes for the other A-Backs as well.
I think this is true, and it’s intetesting that overall distribution of runs by A backs was way down if you compare it to our more successful years. So, I would guess TQM was trying to get the ball to the ABs as much as possible, even when there wasn’t much there. This suggests to me that our biggest problem was blocking on the perimeter plays. I’m wondering who needs to pick it up the most in that department? I think Jeune, Stewart, and Camp are all pretty solid blockers, so I would guess Tackles and ABs need to make the most improvement.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I think this is true, and it’s intetesting that overall distribution of runs by A backs was way down if you compare it to our more successful years. So, I would guess TQM was trying to get the ball to the ABs as much as possible, even when there wasn’t much there. This suggests to me that our biggest problem was blocking on the perimeter plays. I’m wondering who needs to pick it up the most in that department? I think Jeune, Stewart, and Camp are all pretty solid blockers, so I would guess Tackles and ABs need to make the most improvement.

This is my observation...and I am by no means an expert on this offense. JT made lots of good pitches because he would cut up field early and make the D commit. TM was running was too wide before trying to turn up field. Allowing the D to crash him and the A-Backs at the same time. No amount of blocking could help that. He got away with a lot early in the year because he was new and there wasn't a lot of film on him. He started getting shut down later in the year because he was a one trick pony. Hopefully he comes into this season with new tricks...

This is my observation...and I am by no means an expert on this offense. JT made lots of good pitches because he would cut up field early and make the D commit. TM was running was too wide before trying to turn up field. Allowing the D to crash him and the A-Backs at the same time. No amount of blocking could help that. He got away with a lot early in the year because he was new and there wasn't a lot of film on him. He started getting shut down later in the year because he was a one trick pony. Hopefully he comes into this season with new tricks...
After watching the games....yes this was part of the problem. He was also more apt to keep the ball and like most first year starters missed reads that should have been gives to the B-back. But it was not all him. Injuries at Tackle cost us as on film it was also clear that our tackles were missing blocks.