Running Back Depth

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The A-back and B-back look ahead threads got me to thinking about our running back depth. How did we get to where so little experience is returning? Instead of just asking the question, I thought I would investigate the answer and share it.

(I've chosen to create a new thread instead of using the look ahead threads as this is more a look back than a look forward.)

First of all, how many running backs, both A-backs and B-backs, do we typically use during a season? Normally 2 B-backs and 6 A-backs are in the rotation. That is 8 total. 2 redshirts would be 10 on the roster.

Second, how many RBs should we recruit each year? Well, 8 players over 4 years is 2 RBs/year that we should be recruiting. Or with redshirts that is 5 seasons, but 10/5 is the same as 8/4.

Then, how many RBs have we been recruiting each season?

Let's start with the class of seniors that play their final game tomorrow. The redshirt seniors are from the recruiting class of 2010. According to the archives on ramblinwreck.com, these are the 3 RB recruits:
Zenon
Hill
Perkins
Days came in as a QB and Bostic was listed as a CB, although I really think he was an athlete with position to be determined.

The 2011 RB recruiting class:
Laskey
Snoddy
Milton
Of course Laskey has played 4 seasons without a RS. Snoddy is returning at A-back. I didn't remember Milton being listed at RB, because I think he has been at CB from day 1, hasn't he?

2012 RB recruiting class:
Allen - who was listed as RB/LB. Did he ever get a shot at RB before going to LB?
Andrews came in as a QB in this class.

2013 RB class:
Wilson
Custis
All I'm going to say is ouch! The losses here hurt.

2014 RB class:
Leggett
Autry
Lynch
Of course Autry never enrolled. I'm not even sure Lynch wasn't supposed to be a WR - that is his position listed at signing day - until Wilson, Custis, and Autry all disappeared from the program.

So for the 4 classes from 2011-2014, we actually recruited 9 RBs. This is 2.25/yr so good. (Looking at 5 classes 10-14, we recruited 12 RBs or 2.4/yr.) But we lost 3 from the program and 2 to position change. That leaves 4 - Laskey, Snoddy, Leggett, Lynch. And Laskey has used his eligibility. So that leaves 3. Plus Andrews is 4 RBs returning when depth would say we would want 8 returning. Thus the need for 6 in this recruiting class instead of 2.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Good, clear analysis! Isaiah Willis is a returning RB though he is a walk-on. I believe he is expected to contribute next season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It just goes to show how daunting a task recruiting a full roster of players really is. It is hard to know how many injuries, transfers, or academic / disciplinary casualties you will face as a program. Suffice it to say, you can't just recruit directly to the number that should result in a full position group. The long term history shows that we, like any program, will lose people. In today's culture, being a role player on a team is less palatable to players than ever. Kids are more likely to transfer than delay gratification. They are also more likely to run from an academic challenge than face it. Such is life.

Obviously, every decision you make to bring a kid in to a place like GT is crucial. You really have to have a good knowledge of the strike zone and take the close pitches. Swings and misses will kill you too. It is a tough position to be in. Superior recuiting is as much about finding great players as it is finding kids who can make the cut in terms of academics, unselfishness, character, self-discipline, and patience. Then you have to sprinkle in a little luck too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Allen did start as a BB.

That list also illustrates the importance of recruiting athletes/ex-QBs to our system. Days, Bostic, Andrews were all HS QBs. Andrews and Days began their career at GT as QBs, but eventually moved to BB/AB.

I think the experience void at BB will hurt our offense more than losing Smelter at WR. Good thing Leggett had a year to develop and QW is coming in early for Spring practice. I think we'll be fine at AB with the guys we have returning and guys coming in...though perimeter blocking may be choppy at first (no pun intended).

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This also illustrates how coaches who have a well-designed offensive "system" has been beneficial to Tech recruiting and results.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Further complications
Since we have great qb starter and depth in place as well as developing and powerful offensive line, recruiting could also complicated by some unexpected talent being recruited. We could begin to get super star talent in next years class - that would make past recruits backups.

Would we really ever accept that a top RB could fit into the TO?

Last edited:

Matt E

GT Athlete
This may be a crazy question, but with all of the depth we seem to have in the secondary coming back or coming in with recruiting I wonder if there is a shot Milton gets a look at A Back. Tony Hollings situation 2.0?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This may be a crazy question, but with all of the depth we seem to have in the secondary coming back or coming in with recruiting I wonder if there is a shot Milton gets a look at A Back. Tony Hollings situation 2.0?

We can't moving a starting CB over.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Just thinking out loud here, but Byerly would be a good B back. I know he is a great back up QB, but maybe Jordan will be ready to be the back up next year and Tim can get on the field before he graduates. He is a waste of talent on the bench.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We had some attrition that not only affected the number of bodies, but class balance. Laskey was moved to the secondary for depth and ST, then moved to B as a Sophomore. In an ideal world, he redshirts and we still have him. The misses on Custis and Allen make it hurt more.
I'm pretty comfortable at A. Maybe move an Austin over to shore up depth, but with Andrews , Snoddy, and Willis we have a good nucleus coming back.
B is the big question. We need some freshmen to step up.