Run Pass Option Plays

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As you say, it's "designed to mimic a play," but it doesn't mimic one of our plays. In a B-Back dive, the QB doesn't keep the ball. We already have a play action pass of the dive motion which doesn't take as long to develop. In both of the RPO's in this thread, the QB's are in shot-gun. We also already roll-out which gives JT a run-option as well.

Like I've said, I've got nothing against the idea, just saying that I'm not convinced that it's as simple as simply tweeking something we're already doing.

In a 3-O play, the QB mimics the BB dive. The 3-O is what I alluded to in my first post.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the famous stories of how the spread option began is that the OL couldn't block a monster DE during a game. So the coach decided that he wouldn't block the DE at all, and just read him all game. Which is how the RPO will treat those crashing DBs.

If our guys are having problems blocking the DBs crashing down, then lets make it harder for the DBs to do just that. Crash down, fine, we'll throw over the top. Choose to take on the QB and pitchman? Fine, we'll run our option without you mucking up the playbox with an extra defender or two.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Techster, however CPJ schemes it we need to slow down the LB's and DB's from crashing the line of scrimmage.
Dukes last TD vs ND Saturday had the QB sprinting out wide toward the corner, when the DB bit he tossed it over his head to the TE who broke down the sideline for a TD (although we don't utilize TE's)
After watching games this weekend, I'm not sure we are that far off talent-wise.
CU's DL was much quicker off the snap, it may be a combination of OL technique and inexperience ??