Rules Question

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
On the 80 yard TD pass, where the UGA player appears to step out of bounds. The UGA players left foot contacts the Bama player who is out of bounds and on the ground. What is the rule, is the runner out of bounds? His left foot is clearly out and steps on the Bama player.

BTW, his heel is on the line.

attachment.php

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Touching an out of bounds player doesn't matter otherwise it'd be easiest just for a DB to stand OOB and tag the player.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Doesn’t matter. It goes both ways though. A WR (I think Wims) caught a pass along the sideline earlier in that game because he was able to keep his left foot off the ground by being on top of the Bama defender and was able to swing his other foot around and touch in bounds for a completion.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
What about the sideline interference penalty? Shouldn't that have been a sideline warning? If so that would have been their first then they would have had a second one later that would have been 15 yards.

Also - how can a penalty with the word interference in the name be a dead ball foul? Interference should be a play negating penalty a la Pass Interference...

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
I had doggie fans tell me his whole foot was in bounds and he was not out of bounds at all!

I always thought if any part of a players foot touched any part of the white that he was OOB. Its just like at the endzone. You just have to cross the plane. Am I wrong?

He was definitely on the white and OOB though.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What about the sideline interference penalty? Shouldn't that have been a sideline warning? If so that would have been their first then they would have had a second one later that would have been 15 yards.

Also - how can a penalty with the word interference in the name be a dead ball foul? Interference should be a play negating penalty a la Pass Interference...
Same/Similar question regarding the sideline interference on that play... how can it be a "dead ball foul" with ball in play/play in progress? I assume the refs got the call correct and enforced it correctly.. but very strange to have an offensive penalty "during" a play (a TD no doubt) that IS enforced (but on the kickoff)? What would have happened if it had been an incomplete pass? I assume yardage penalty from line of scrimmage...repeat the down?

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
On the 80 yard TD pass, where the UGA player appears to step out of bounds. The UGA players left foot contacts the Bama player who is out of bounds and on the ground. What is the rule, is the runner out of bounds? His left foot is clearly out and steps on the Bama player.

BTW, his heel is on the line.

attachment.php

Here you go:
ARTICLE 1. a. A player is out of bounds when any part of his person touches
anything, other than another player or game official, on or outside a boundary
line (A.R. 4-2-1-I and II)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Same/Similar question regarding the sideline interference on that play... how can it be a "dead ball foul" with ball in play/play in progress? I assume the refs got the call correct and enforced it correctly.. but very strange to have an offensive penalty "during" a play (a TD no doubt) that IS enforced (but on the kickoff)? What would have happened if it had been an incomplete pass? I assume yardage penalty from line of scrimmage...repeat the down?

Sideline Interference is only being outside of the coaches box. If you interfere with or touch an official, it is Team Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty. Interfering can be just being outside the box or impeding the officials progress. The rule states it is a dead ball penalty. The first offense is a warning, which the cry mutts had earlier. The second and third are a 5 yard dead ball -delay of game- penalty. Fourth and higher are a Team Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty.