Rule discussion

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the problem is that some members are more sensitive to comments than others. I completely understand the ban on personal attacks, such as player A sucks and shouldn’t be on the team.

I don’t understand how speaking to improper angles and recognizing poor tackling form is a personal insult. It’s impossible to cite a particular play without true fans knowing the player(s) involved. If I want to know why a kid that is smart enough to get into Tech can’t line up properly, It’s a legit question. Do we receive the same concern when we call out a great play ?

This is a team of young players thats truebut continuing to refer to anyone who is receiving a free education, partially funded by Tech fans, alumni and ticket holders, as amateur is going a little hard on their actual status. I don’t intend to debate professional vs amateur status but these kids are benefitting from the very public role they are in. These kids not only get an education valued at hundreds of thousands if not more but they also get a stipend now. The sensitivity to “football talk” is also void of acknowledgment of the fact that Ga Tech puts this team on the field not only to enhance student experience but to promote the school in general. They sell tickets to anyone to watch,the ACC is setting up an entire TV network to highlight these students. In publicing and promoting Tech they are promoting the players and these players have entered into a signed legal agreement in which these players are exposed to the public for the schools benefit. Fan Day is all about fans access to players, to promote the team and school - with the ultimate goal of fund raising, contributions and developing personal feelings/relationships with the team. These players regularly give interviews on TV and radio as well as appear at public events - as Ga Tech athletes.

I say all of this to point out that they are much more public than an actual private amateur. Like it or not they are at the center of a multi billion dollar industry - college sports. Sensitivity to personal insults should be common place but sensitivity to critical comments which are football or baseball etc... related are normal observations of the sport.

I was recently informed that I have no right to anything not promised by the constitution and that The players don’t care what I will accept or care what I think, simply because I expect players — which I did not name, to line up correctly before the snap. I was also spoken to as if I hate Ga Tech players personally because I didn’t like a tweet in which a player openly stated that fans are either with them or against them. It’s like your banker telling you that he will invest your money the way he sees fit and you are either with him or against him. I didn’t think the player made an appropriate and very public tweet, considering that player is on scholarship ( meaning his education is being paid for by Tech contributors which are likely also fans.) Yet I was targeted by a member who is either a player, parent or coach who feels he has to take up for everyone in Tech sports. In that role he has assumed apparently any critical comment is out of bounds. Wondering why educated men, who aren’t named, have problems lining up is out of line

If this site intends to be a Ga Tech fan site in which real talk is allowed then perhaps it should be understood that contributing fans, alumni and die hards have sports related thoughts and they are allowed - if done so in the sense of a true fan.

Arguing that in order to be a fan one must only talk nice about teams kinda ruins the point of being involved, Tech is what we make it, if we make it a PC place where talking about x’s and o’s Is subject to sensitivity rules which are open to interrputation then what’s the point ?

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I simply want to chime in to voice my support for the moderators on this site. They have generally leaned towards open dialogue and avoided the tendency today to try to censor "hate speech" (i.e.speech that someone finds offensive)

While I disagree strongly at times with some of this board and would prefer not to see posts that call out or insult specific athletes in a disparaging way, I recognize what a slippery slope that is.

Good job balancing a delicate subject, mods!