RPI is no longer to be used for NCAAT selection

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I actually put the NET standings in the NET thread as an update to it, rather than the NW game. The Vegas line for NW is likely to be about the same as the 7 that the kenpom has.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Net rankings are fairly hilarious right now.
How about Ga Southern (not State) at #26, one ahead of TN.
Pitt is at #23.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff Capel dropping bags on the NET!

I mean, the NCAA said the NET is purer than the hypothetical birth child of Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi. Therefore it must be true. Don't be upset that Georgia Southern is better than Tennessee. Just need someone to make sure @MikeJackets1967 is ok.

In all seriousness, I imagine this formula takes time i.e., a month or two of games to sort out. So, no big deal as others have suggested.

Of course, the NCAA can change the formula midseason too if they feel like it, since no one knows what the hell it is. Taking shelter from @ESPNjacket now...

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Capel dropping bags on the NET!

I mean, the NCAA said the NET is purer than the hypothetical birth child of Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi. Therefore it must be true. Don't be upset that Georgia Southern is better than Tennessee. Just need someone to make sure @MikeJackets1967 is ok.

In all seriousness, I imagine this formula takes time i.e., a month or two of games to sort out. So, no big deal as others have suggested.

Of course, the NCAA can change the formula midseason too if they feel like it, since no one knows what the hell it is. Taking shelter from @ESPNjacket now...
I think Tennessee will be 27-5 this season and will win the SEC and have no problems going into the NCAA Tournament:);)(y):cool::D:smuggrin:

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW i have Loyola Marymount at 13 in my computer rankings and Southern at 26. Being one of the few undefeated teams left helps a ton this early into the season (I'm only updated through Friday though). Should pull a CFP and not release them till Confrence play IMO

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: No. 1 Ohio State? NCAA's initial NET basketball ratings raise questions
Among the critics of the new system Monday was statistician Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight, who called the first list "the worst rankings I've ever seen in any sport, ever."

"I guess I'm not sympathetic because a lot of smart people have worked on this problem (power rankings) for a LONG time and the NCAA ignored all that and came up with something that doesn't reflect methodological best practices and which doesn't make sense, basketball-wise," Silver wrote on Twitter.
Kevin Pauga, the creator of the KPI rating system and one of the analysts who attended the meetings with the NCAA, said it was too soon to judge the NET's methodology.

"I think it's too soon to give a true and fair evaluation of any metric that is based entirely on data from this season," Pauga told ESPN on Monday. "A single result right now could range from 12 to 25 percent of a team's résumé, depending on how many games a team has played. By the end of the season, each result will constitute about 3 percent of a team's résumé."
But it clearly has its limits, as the first rankings show. Credit for margin of victory is capped at 10 points, which means Duke won't be granted full credit for its destruction of the Wildcats in the Champions Classic.

And the NET's efficiency rankings, unlike KenPom.com and other analytics sites, don't account for the quality of the opponent. So a team that records a net efficiency of 0.5 points per possession against Michigan gets the same credit for a team that records that mark against Central Michigan.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Any insight on how these are weighted? I see the 5 items are in descending order; looking for more specifics.

46922643_10100818006750154_5112850337560002560_n.jpg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This article is a couple of weeks old, but I thought it was still interesting.

compares the NET ratings with RPI.
The biggest takeaway - you want to schedule as many cupcakes as you can and pound the crap out of them.
Since the NET has a per-possession efficiency margin component and no penalty for playing bad teams (like the RPI does), the more bad teams you can beat by really large margins, the better your NET ranking will be.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/01/23/ncaa-net-rankings-rpi-ncaa-tournament-march-madness

The most extreme example is NC ST. As of today, in the current NET rankings they are #34. in the current RPI rankings they are #126.
So in the system they used last year, they would have little chance of making the NCAA without winning alot of ACC games. But in the NET system this year they have a solid shot because they played an awful OOC but won all the games by huge margins.