Roster number brakedown for a CPJ offense in the NFL

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Then why do no offenses run the triple option? Why is this a lets pretend Paul's offense were to be used in the NFL and what would your roster look like. Mine would have 5 QB's because three of them would not make it an entire season. I would also strongly disagree that NFL QB's are the worst athletes on the field. There is a reason why every team is craving a good QB. No, running the ball shouldn't be dropped because of injuries, but that doesn't change the fact that LB's and RB's per avg are the most injured and have the shortest life in the NFL. What that means is you better be ready to replace them at a moments notice. It is also a reason why the RB and LB positon has lost $$ value to other positions in the last few years. QB's in the NFL are the franchise.
I guess the same reason that only 1 non-service academy FBS college team runs the option. It just doesn't work. o_O

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
We've seen a switch to option based football taking hold in the NFL. Seattle, Denver with Tebow, Redskins, Chip Kelly's teams, Mariotta, etc.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
OK. I am going to weigh in with the understanding that everything we are saying are our opinions.

I do think the offense would work in the NFL with the right talent to run it, but with that said, I do agree that if there were no concerns and drawbacks, an NFL team would already run the offense. The NFL is a business, and every team wants to be Super Bowl Champs. There is NO recruiting. The reason teams in the SEC do not run this offense is because they all think they can recruit better without it. I believe the reason NFL teams do not run it is because, as upstate tried to say over and over, the defensive speed/size/hitting ability would mean that a QB might last 4-5 games if lucky. You would have to have 3-4 at least with both running skills and passing skills that could take huge hits without concussions or other damage. As you guys have seen, it does take running AND passing to make this O work consistently. Also, all of the rules in the NFL have been changed over the years to make passing much easier, as the O has the decided advantage when passing the ball. Just my 2 cents.

Not in the SEC either then right?
Last time I checked there were no teams in the SEC comprised of 22 starters that were all NFL players. The worst NFL team would beat the best NCAA team of all time by 35 pts. So using the SEC comparison makes no sense. Every team in the NFL is team comprised of nothing but professionals. That can't be said of any team in in FCS , Div One, or however you classify it.

SlawDog

Banned
;)With the player union rules there wouldn't be enough practice hours available for teams to 'prepare' to play against the TO.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Tebow is in Columbia SC playing baseball. Mariotta got hurt last year. Chip Kelly, he is on his way out of the league because of his offense.
Tebow won a playoff game, Seattle a superbowl, Tony romo missed because of injury too so we can point to pro-style offense as causing QB injuries.

You like ot cherry pick your points that match your conclusion. We all do it but you need to take a step back and realize that trends in the NFL don't dictate what can and can't work.

If a NFL team were to go the pure option route it would have to be an expansion team that doesn't have a set fan base yet that will throw a fit like up state would. Other wise it would never be given the chance to work and then laughed at for not working.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This argument is like the climate debate. The matter is already settled. Only obtuse deniers can fail to see that option football is a gimmick. And it has been figured out and is why Tech can't win consistently using it. :rolleyes:

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you everyone for commenting. I guess I didn't expect what happened. I'll throw my viewpoint out there about the offense working, it was not my attempt originally but I guess I can see why it happened. The point about injured qb's does have some validity but sometimes the extent it is taken to sometime seems to be hyperbole. Offenses in the NFL need a QB with cannons and receivers that can cause and beat double teams to be able to run the ball, and move the ball in general, is because schematically they are inadequate to do so otherwise. Also I have never liked the argument that someone would have done it if it would work. The very reason I think no one would do it is because the outrage of the fans. UP STATE do you really think that 3 QBs would be knocked for the rest of the year or just miss some time?

Thank you everyone for commenting. I guess I didn't expect what happened. I'll throw my viewpoint out there about the offense working, it was not my attempt originally but I guess I can see why it happened. The point about injured qb's does have some validity but sometimes the extent it is taken to sometime seems to be hyperbole. Offenses in the NFL need a QB with cannons and receivers that can cause and beat double teams to be able to run the ball, and move the ball in general, is because schematically they are inadequate to do so otherwise. Also I have never liked the argument that someone would have done it if it would work. The very reason I think no one would do it is because the outrage of the fans. UP STATE do you really think that 3 QBs would be knocked for the rest of the year or just miss some time?
The question was how many would you need for a roster. At least one would more than likely get knocked out for the season. Either due to concussion protocol or just plain season ending injury. The other two would miss time for the same reasons. Everyone that is arguing for the offense is failing to realize that no QB in the league today gets hit more than 15 times a game. The majority of those hits are not comparable to hits like a RB takes. Which would the kind of hits a QB would take in this offense. Your asking a player to put his body on the line two out of three plays. Meaning the QB would get hit too many times for unnecessary reasons way more than they do in today's game. So saying that QB injury wouldn't be a major concern is foolish. Think about a LB or SS spying the QB every play and hitting him every play he could. Cheap or not a QB would be a sitting duck. That doesn't happen today so how do you compare and contrast something no has compared before because the need wasn't necessary. No GM or Owner would put the franchise in that kind of positon to get injured or having a player he's paying for nothing because he's injured.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The question was how many would you need for a roster. At least one would more than likely get knocked out for the season. Either due to concussion protocol or just plain season ending injury. The other two would miss time for the same reasons. Everyone that is arguing for the offense is failing to realize that no QB in the league today gets hit more than 15 times a game. The majority of those hits are not comparable to hits like a RB takes. Which would the kind of hits a QB would take in this offense. Your asking a player to put his body on the line two out of three plays. Meaning the QB would get hit too many times for unnecessary reasons way more than they do in today's game. So saying that QB injury wouldn't be a major concern is foolish. Think about a LB or SS spying the QB every play and hitting him every play he could. Cheap or not a QB would be a sitting duck. That doesn't happen today so how do you compare and contrast something no has compared before because the need wasn't necessary. No GM or Owner would put the franchise in that kind of positon to get injured or having a player he's paying for nothing because he's injured.
How did li'l ol' Justin Thomas stay so healthy these last three years? How did Tevin Washington before him? And, Nesbitt before him? And, how did Tebow keep from getting injured in college or his pro career? Just flukes I guess.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Last time I checked there were no teams in the SEC comprised of 22 starters that were all NFL players. The worst NFL team would beat the best NCAA team of all time by 35 pts. So using the SEC comparison makes no sense. Every team in the NFL is team comprised of nothing but professionals. That can't be said of any team in in FCS , Div One, or however you classify it.
Your logic before was this: "No teams do it, therefore it won't work." So, I'm taking your logic and applying it. "No teams in the SEC run the option, therefore, it won't work." Furthermore, "No teams in the Big Integer, Big other Integer, or Pac Integer do it, therefore it won't work. Only teams in the ACC and former Big East do it, therefore, it only works in those leagues. In fact, no team in the ACC did it for a decade, therefore it would not have worked in the ACC until 2008, when a team started doing it." See how that logic works.

You are way off topic. We are discussing the QB and how many would be needed. Not if the 3O would work in the league. Or who doesn't or does run the offense. The triple option can work in league, But the QB in triple option is at a much higher risk than he would be in a traditional pro style. So therefore for this topic I'm saying carry at least 3- 5 QB' s because you will need them. That is the topic here.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The same way No GM or Owner would dare hand the ball off to a franchise player like Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson or something. Too dangerous. They'd be sitting ducks.

Can you imagine how successful Georgia Tech would be if they had the same caliber athletes as the best in college football? Seriously, think about how successful GT has already been with almost universally recognized personnel disadvantages over factories ... the top offense in college football, by far in 2014, and at or near the top almost every year. Imagine being able to play against UGA with the same level of recruiting they're able to do. We already beat them with the disadvantage. We would wipe the floor with them. Remember Nebraska in the 90's, Oklahoma in the 70's and 80's, GSU in the 90's? THAT'S how successful it would be in the NFL. And, why wouldn't it be? It creates numbers and angle advantages both running and passing that other offenses don't/can't create. That would be true if you had superheroes playing against each other.

How did li'l ol' Justin Thomas stay so healthy these last three years? How did Tevin Washington before him? And, Nesbitt before him? And, how did Tebow keep from getting injured in college or his pro career? Just flukes I guess.
Justin was banged up and miss time. Josh got injured and missed time as well as Tevin and Shaw.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Justin was banged up and miss time. Josh got injured and missed time as well as Tevin and Shaw.
Justin missed less time than most NFL QB's the last 3 years (maybe 6 quarters total over 3 years). Same for Josh (maybe 6 quarters over 3 years). In fact if we had run the option INSTEAD of passed Josh would've never gotten the season ending injury and we may be sitting on another 9 win season and win over UGA. Shaw missed 4 quarters in 3 years as a starter at 2 different schools. Tevin Washington NEVER missed a snap.

And, none of them incurred a season-ending injury, or even a concussion due to the option. How is that possible?

The same way No GM or Owner would dare hand the ball off to a franchise player like Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson or something. Too dangerous. They'd be sitting ducks.

Can you imagine how successful Georgia Tech would be if they had the same caliber athletes as the best in college football? Seriously, think about how successful GT has already been with almost universally recognized personnel disadvantages over factories ... the top offense in college football, by far in 2014, and at or near the top almost every year. Imagine being able to play against UGA with the same level of recruiting they're able to do. We already beat them with the disadvantage. We would wipe the floor with them. Remember Nebraska in the 90's, Oklahoma in the 70's and 80's, GSU in the 90's? THAT'S how successful it would be in the NFL. And, why wouldn't it be? It creates numbers and angle advantages both running and passing that other offenses don't/can't create. That would be true if you had superheroes playing against each other.
Bo broke his hip. Peterson shredded his knee. Peterson is not an avg athelete so using him is difficult to prove anyrhing.