Roster management

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious what your thoughts were of Jose and Moses when they signed. They weren’t exactly DPOY/POY back then and many wouldn’t have considered them All ACC caliber.
Jose showed as a freshmen he was a player and ultimate competitor. Moses was a once in a lifetime player who was a liability as a freshmen to ACC Player of the year.

You don’t really expect anyone on this team to become ACC player of the year do you.

The talent deficiency is on display every game. Recruiting is about 70% of college basketball.

We signed zero players this cycle. You can’t strike out 4 out of 6 years like Pastner has.

What makes you optimistic about this collection of players?

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
5/12 recruits this staff has signed left before their eligibility was up not counting the newest freshman class. Figure we will lose one or two guys out of the guys not playing much.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
5/12 recruits this staff has signed left before their eligibility was up not counting the newest freshman class. Figure we will lose one or two guys out of the guys not playing much.

I am more interested in gaining some power fowards. Players leaving because of lack of playing time is normal and sometimes helpful in freeing up scholarships.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Goza was one of the bright spots during the 81/82 season 😊, granted it'd suck to have to wait 2 years for Saba to get to be "that good".

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Players don't perform in a vacuum, especially post players. Howard, Saba, and Meka are all hurt by the fact that Sturdy and Smith are still trying to find their way as facilitators. Put Jose on this team, and actually commit to playing a real big and they'd look significantly better, especially after gaining experience. But instead we insist on running our offense through the high post for whatever reason and it just exposes our bigs.

The other thing is we only ever seem to play Saba when there is little to no hope that playing Ush at the 5 makes any sense. Played @Duke and Williams/Blanchero then basically got no time against ND/BC then played against @UNC and Bascot. Get him consistent meaningful minutes and he'll develop. Sit him on the bench and only play him when the other team has a big that Ush has no hope of checking and you're just setting him up to struggle.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Players don't perform in a vacuum, especially post players. Howard, Saba, and Meka are all hurt by the fact that Sturdy and Smith are still trying to find their way as facilitators. Put Jose on this team, and actually commit to playing a real big and they'd look significantly better, especially after gaining experience. But instead we insist on running our offense through the high post for whatever reason and it just exposes our bigs.

The other thing is we only ever seem to play Saba when there is little to no hope that playing Ush at the 5 makes any sense. Played @Duke and Williams/Blanchero then basically got no time against ND/BC then played against @UNC and Bascot. Get him consistent meaningful minutes and he'll develop. Sit him on the bench and only play him when the other team has a big that Ush has no hope of checking and you're just setting him up to struggle.
I understand Josh’s dilemma. On one hand, he wants to get the team going. In order to do that, he has to resuscitate the offense. To do so, going small is the answer.

The downside is we don’t develop our young big men. Your point is very valid though, it’s hard to develop when Bacot is beating the hell out of you on the block.

However, I think he could hold his on against a Quinton Post. I was surprised that he didn’t get at least a handful of mins in that game.

If our program is going to keep moving in a positive direction, we need him to develop into what we thought he could be. I’m hoping we see a better mixture of small ball and bigs seeing some mins.