Roof's D Style: Perfect Spread Option Compliment?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This year I like how he gradually turns up the heat.

in the distant past - pre unc - in first quarter we would cover soft and back up at snap but final quarter we would not back up. Post UNC in first quarter we cover soft but not back up and in final quarter we really mixed up coverage.

Hopefully we can be more agressive earlier.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Lots of very intelligent and thoughtful comments in this thread by both the OP and the replies. Kudos to you guys!

The one thing I have bene curious about last season was that CPJ came out after the UNC loss and said something along the lines of we were playing too conservatively on D and we were going to change that. After that, our D was high(er) risk/reward, forcing more turnovers and getting more stops (but also still getting drummed at times). Seemed to me that changed our season. I have wondered ever since whose philosophy was on view there..was it Roof who was so conservative early, and wanted to be more aggressive all along? Or was it CPJ who wanted to be more aggressive on D all along? We'll never know, but I will admit I will feel a lot better if it was Roof who wanted an aggressive D.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ I have wondered ever since whose philosophy was on view there..was it Roof who was so conservative early, and wanted to be more aggressive all along? Or was it CPJ who wanted to be more aggressive on D all along? We'll never know, but I will admit I will feel a lot better if it was Roof who wanted an aggressive D.

I think Roof wanted to play more aggressively all year and had to wait for some of the players to mature into place. He is very aggressive by nature both as a player and coach at previous schools.

I think way too much is made of CPJ's public comments. Roof and CPJ must talk a lot and the idea that a CPJ public comment is their form of communication is, to me, absurd.

Look at the correlation in this stat between net turnovers and wins. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/255/turnovermargin/gamelog.html As you said, our turnover performance picked up after the NC game (even throwing out Pitt which was an anomaly;+5 for a game had to be close to an ACC record).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Roof wanted to play more aggressively all year and had to wait for some of the players to mature into place. He is very aggressive by nature both as a player and coach at previous schools.
Wasn't he Mr. Bend don't Break when he was at GT the last time? Was he handcuffed by O'Leary?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think way too much is made of CPJ's public comments. Roof and CPJ must talk a lot and the idea that a CPJ public comment is their form of communication is, to me, absurd.

Look at the correlation in this stat between net turnovers and wins. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/255/turnovermargin/gamelog.html As you said, our turnover performance picked up after the NC game (even throwing out Pitt which was an anomaly;+5 for a game had to be close to an ACC record).
Sometimes I think the most valid, if not the only valid, complaint fans have about him is that kind of off the top of his head criticism right after games aimed not at an individual, but special teams, or the defense, or the offense. Kind of wish he would give himself a cooling off period of an hour or so. But then they are big boys and it would be nearly as entertaining.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wasn't he Mr. Bend don't Break when he was at GT the last time? Was he handcuffed by O'Leary?

I don't know. I think he will be as aggressive as the quality of his players allows. I don't know about the GOL times, what's your opinion? Do you think we had the talent to be more aggressive and also be more effective at preventing scoring?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know. I think he will be as aggressive as the quality of his players allows. I don't know about the GOL times, what's your opinion? Do you think we had the talent to be more aggressive and also be more effective at preventing scoring?
I don't know, either, Nuke. I have read posts indicating he was pressured by O'Leary to play very conservative defense, but I'm not sure how true that is. It may simply be he was a green horn back then. Maybe what we see now is very different than what he was back then and it's a product of experience and influence.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know, either, Nuke. I have read posts indicating he was pressured by O'Leary to play very conservative defense, but I'm not sure how true that is. It may simply be he was a green horn back then. Maybe what we see now is very different than what he was back then and it's a product of experience and influence.

Thanks. People change. I think Roof would be a much better HC now than he was at Fluke. And I think he is very much more his own man now than when he was breaking in either as a DC or a HC.

BTW, if someone wrote it, it must be true! (tic)

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It's all about personnel fellas.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. People change. I think Roof would be a much better HC now than he was at Fluke. And I think he is very much more his own man now than when he was breaking in either as a DC or a HC.

BTW, if someone wrote it, it must be true! (tic)
If you saw it on the internet ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We keep assuming the opponents will not come up with a defense that causes our offense to sputter. Suppose they put 8-9 on line with at least 7 ( changing every time) blitzing = stop jet = with no time for play to develope. Say the opponents are willing to give up possible fumbles traded of for getting our offense off the field. Our defense - even with more depth this coming year would be totally gassed. If our offense is going to score TD in 6 minute drives - why not blitz?

At the last 2 games I am of the opinion that If our offense was GOOD but not GREAT against FSU And MSU it would have been a much different outcome. Our offense gets much better than the opponents defense the more plays we run. This is the way we will be able to win "big " games - when we are committed to getting our offense back on the field as soon as possible NO MATTER WHAT. I want cpj to make as many calls as possible with jet .

Next year - It is time ( by ND) to let the yellow jacket loose!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We keep assuming the opponents will not come up with a defense that causes our offense to sputter. Suppose they put 8-9 on line with at least 7 ( changing every time) blitzing = stop jet = with no time for play to develope. Say the opponents are willing to give up possible fumbles traded of for getting our offense off the field. Our defense - even with more depth this coming year would be totally gassed. If our offense is going to score TD in 6 minute drives - why not blitz?

At the last 2 games I am of the opinion that If our offense was GOOD but not GREAT against FSU And MSU it would have been a much different outcome. Our offense gets much better than the opponents defense the more plays we run. This is the way we will be able to win "big " games - when we are committed to getting our offense back on the field as soon as possible NO MATTER WHAT. I want cpj to make as many calls as possible with jet .

Next year - It is time ( by ND) to let the yellow jacket loose!
I don't recall anybody suggesting that this is the year opponents "figure out" the GT offense. Somebody eventually will say it, because somebody does every year,even as we get 500 yards and 45 points. I would think that anybody putting eight men up front would be on the back end of a 100 point game. And that's just GT.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You can't really lump his previous stint here into one categorical level or style. His first year was bad in most phases. His second and third years were good in most phases. People remember that first year because it was so bad, and they remember one or two bad games the second and third years (Dantzler). It's the same phenomena with Tenuta and others. For some reason the bad ones tend to stick in our crawl. But, you always have to take the body of work as a whole.

I'd rather have some numbers to go along with that opinion, but I can't find stats going back to 99-01.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Under GOL, CTR's defense got much better when he had Daryl Smith if my memory is correct. As has been mentioned it appears we're going to see better personnel coming along and we'll get to see some answers to some of these questions. Personally I'm happy CTR is here and hope the CPJ/CTR partnership continues to work. I've wondered over recent months what would happen with some 3 and outs by our defense with our offense, which has the chance to get better over next couple years possibly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I've had the opposite experience of many here. I've moved from optimistic to more "show me" over the last couple of years.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I think any evaluation of Ted Roof's defense shouldn't even begin until mid-season of 2014 because he didn't take over as our Defensive Coordinator until 2013 so there were things that needed to happen before we would even have a clue what it might even look like.

For example, Al Groh had recruited players for his base 3-4 defense and Ted Roof plays, generally, a 4-3, so not only are the number of position player different, but typically, physical attributes and playing styles (gap attacks, etc) are different. so there had to be a "bell curve" in ramping up that component of the defense (physical).

Next, the players also were had to learn a whole new defensive scheme than they had been playing over the past several seasons, so they were playing "slow" initially because they were often-times spending a lot of time thinking about where they needed to be more than reacting quickly naturally because it was more second-nature as they had practiced and knew their assignments so well. This also gave TR a comfort level that allowed him to become more aggressive in his play calling, such as throwing in more blitz packages, which led to more turnovers the second half of the season, and holding teams better defensively the second halves of games because of great adjustments at halftime.

While it's true we'll be losing some key players, like Neally and I. Johnson, from the defense, we're still getting back a vast majority of the starters, and several experienced subs, as well as this coming Fall (2015), even more of TR's personal recruits will be on the field (and those who have been effectively moved into new positions sine AG has been replaced), and the defense will have had over 3 years learning his base defense, so they will be playing even more instinctively, and he should be even more aggressive in his play calling. This should mean our defense should be even better than the second half of last season.

If this is, indeed, the case, and we can have our new RB's and WR's step up to the plate, like they have in the past when previous starters have graduated, then GA Tech's football team should be poised for a special season in 2015 because they'll be going into the Fall ranked in the Top 25 and have a schedule that is set up to allow them to participate in the College Football Playoffs if they can win their games.