Ron Hunter

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like him, but what are the chances he can ever recruit a kid as good as RJ again? Without RJ that team is good but obviously is not beating Baylor

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Everyone who I talk to at camps and showcases like him too. He is a chill dude and actually comes through on what he tells you. Real down to earth guy. I would love to see him at GT

JacketJim

Georgia Tech Fan
I started pushing the idea of GT hiring Ron Hunter as our Head Basketball Coach over a year ago. I thought that it could have happened a month or so ago, but obviously it didn't. I am still holding on to the notion that it could STILL occur at the end of next season if we don't show significant improvement during the season.

Hunter has done a terrific job at Georgia State but it would seem, at least, that GT and Ron Hunter is an ideal match. He has charisma, recruits well (even kids who are not his son) and seems to be a great X's and O's game day coach. While some are put off by his reliance on transfers, it seems as if transfers are the trend in college basketball these days. A coach who does not recruit transfers well these days often times has trouble winning on a consistent basis.

Hunter can be darn proud of his accomplishments at GSU, but Georgia Tech is a step up in terms of prestige league (ACC), facilities, salary and opportunity. Hunter just received a raise but likely still makes less than $1 million a year including performance bonuses. Although he is currently signed through 2020, there appears to be no buyout. It should be relatively easy for us to give him a big raise and still be paying out less (at least in the first year) than we pay CBG.

As stated above, I've been pushing the idea of Ron Hunter as Georgia Tech head coach for at least the past year. In the beginning, most folks said it was a crazy idea. Lately though there has been more and more positive comment on the idea on this site, other sites and even been mentioned in the AJC as a possibility. That said, I've found it interesting that Hunter himself, when asked about 'other, bigger jobs at other schools, has emphasized that he really likes Georgia State and the city of Atlanta. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I have the impression that in giving these responses he emphasized his affinity for Atlanta more than his affinity for GSU. Bottom-line is I think he'd be open to the idea at the right time. (Of course, there's always the possibility that maybe that's subconscious wishful thinking on my part).

For the sake of players and fans, I'd like to see us do better and win more games next year but to be honest, I'm not really optimistic. But if the team and Gregory falter, it seems to me that a solution to the problem could be 'just across the street'. Literally.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No, this idea does nothing for me at all.

His overall record is very mediocre. I'm not convinced he would succeed at GT. Not even in my top 10 list of coaches i'm interested in.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I'm all for Ron Hunter!! And he is probably going to land his first 4 star(that's not a transfer) this year. He has all the momentum from the tourny along with new found national love from the big networks. Many recruits have said that they love him but just needed to see them win first....now, he has, and it the future is looking bright!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for Ron Hunter!! And he is probably going to land his first 4 star(that's not a transfer) this year. He has all the momentum from the tourny along with new found national love from the big networks. Many recruits have said that they love him but just needed to see them win first....now, he has, and it the future is looking bright!

Report: Former Alabama guard transfers to Georgia State http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...rd-devin-mitchell-transfers-to-georgia-state/

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Devin Mitchell is an excellent shooter. Missed oppty for us.

I'm not sure I'm convinced Hunter would be the right fit for us, but I do hope for Georgia State's continued success. The more they succeed, the more pressure it puts on us to improve the program because they'll quickly start firing shots about being Atlanta's best college hoops team (i.e. - formal marketing to the effect).

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Devin Mitchell is an excellent shooter. Missed oppty for us.

I'm not sure I'm convinced Hunter would be the right fit for us, but I do hope for Georgia State's continued success. The more they succeed, the more pressure it puts on us to improve the program because they'll quickly start firing shots about being Atlanta's best college hoops team (i.e. - formal marketing to the effect).
He has already started...I remember him saying it on TBS

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Mitchell will prob replace Harrow in the starting lineup...so now the guards are Kevin Ware and Devin Mitchell. That is a really solid back court. Throw in Simmons, and it is even better

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He has already started...I remember him saying it on TBS
I'm talking like billboards & newspaper ads. I think that's coming and it'll be another embarrassment for MBob.

Mitchell has to sit a year. Hardship waivers are out, unless Bama agrees that they "ran him off".

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hardship waivers are no more -so Mitchell needs to sit a year. Did not have a good first year at Bama, coming home and a year off should help.

Here's the thing. I don't think Ron Hunter would do any better at GT than Brian Gregory has. His resume would not suggest he would do any better (7 .500 or worse seasons). GT needs to be aiming higher than Hunter. He has found a good spot for himself at State though. He can sit there, wait for kids from Atlanta to have issues at a school and transfer in.

Last year he had a 5 star and 2 4 star kids on his roster in the A Sun. Way more talent than anyone else. Having watched GSU, his game coaching is fairly solid, but nothing more.

RamblinRed

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I like RH. Not sure we'd be talking about him if his offspring (son) wasn't basically a built in commit to whichever program he would be running when RJ got out of high school.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hunter had a coupla choice GT-related comments at a speaking engagement that drew my ire:
- Called GT out for not playing GState, drew comparison to Kansas refusing to play WichitaSt. Maybe we can meet in the NCAA's, "We'll be there, I don't know about you."
- When asked about teams that lose close games (like we did):
Said there are no bad coaches, some are bad people but very few are bad coaches (clearly the implication of the question asked was that CBG is a problem, so Hunter's message was that it's not necessarily all on CBG).
They're 18-20 year olds, attention to detail is sketchy at best. Even his son forgot end-game instructions at times and he had to re-instruct them even after timeouts.
That said, he said how they react in late game situations is an indicator of how much they trust the coach
- Kept referring to GState as Atlanta's real team. :mad:

Also had some things to say about Baylor which is apparently a job he was up for following the Dennehy-Dotson murder case. Said he pulled out after he asked their primary booster what the biggest regret was after the scandal. The guy said, "It was that we got caught, coach."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hunter had a coupla choice GT-related comments at a speaking engagement that drew my ire:
- Called GT out for not playing GState, drew comparison to Kansas refusing to play WichitaSt. Maybe we can meet in the NCAA's, "We'll be there, I don't know about you."
- When asked about teams that lose close games (like we did):
Said there are no bad coaches, some are bad people but very few are bad coaches (clearly the implication of the question asked was that CBG is a problem, so Hunter's message was that it's not necessarily all on CBG).
They're 18-20 year olds, attention to detail is sketchy at best. Even his son forgot end-game instructions at times and he had to re-instruct them even after timeouts.
That said, he said how they react in late game situations is an indicator of how much they trust the coach
- Kept referring to GState as Atlanta's real team. :mad:

Also had some things to say about Baylor which is apparently a job he was up for following the Dennehy-Dotson murder case. Said he pulled out after he asked their primary booster what the biggest regret was after the scandal. The guy said, "It was that we got caught, coach."

Late in games reflect how much players respect coach? So, pessimism about coach may be in line with players and their families? Interesting.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last time we played Georgia State, pretty sure we lost at their spot. I think we'll schedule them again some day, but not until BG turns the program around or he's gone and someone else has done that. I wouldn't schedule Georgia State right now unless I'm looking for a negative headline for the day after.