Rolling Stone vs ESPN

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's good business sense to do whatever's in your power to advance and protect such an investment. Unfortunately, ESPN is the most powerful media brand in college football, managing a portfolio of broadcast rights to not only the Playoff, but every major conference and 33 of the 35 bowl games staged last season. This gives ESPN the power to control the narrative in the most subjective sport in America.

That narrative? "SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...llege-football-playoff-20141028#ixzz3HT0bfxg3
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The fact that everyone at ESPN has had to defend their SEC love this week and swear that they aren't biased tells you that the criticism is hitting really close to home.
It also makes the talking heads hypocrites as well as transparent. They should just shut up.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
They've created this monster, wouldn't it be hilarious if the ACC, B1G, Big 12, and PAC 12 just left the SEC out in the cold? Formed their own league?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If you watch sports at all, you know that the article is right. The problem is that most of the people who used to actually, you know, cover football and other sports (Furman Bisher springs to mind) have slowly been replaced with former coaches and players (some of them surprisingly ignorant of their sports) and the occasional former announcer. There's an overwhelming pressure to conform to the message the audience wants in these situations, rather then actually, you know, offer informed analysis of the game itself. Example #1: The short career of Johnny Unitas as an NFL color guy. The problem was that Unitas, a guy who simply couldn't stand to see sloppy football, called it like he saw it. If a team - even the Colts - was playing poorly, he not only pointed it out but told you why it was happening and who was responsible for it. Result = the fans of the truly rotten teams hated him. He tried to be more of a happy talker, but it sounded so insincere that he finally was eased out. Example #2: Remember when Coach Holtz had a short segment where he analyzed aspects of college football? Not any more. Of course, he's forgotten more about football then anyone else on tv, but the viewers want touts, not actual analysis.

You can see the same thing in regular life too. Ever been to a business conference where there's a real star of the speaker's circuit speaking then gone to another at a lower level with a wanna-be speaker? I have. The wanna-be says the same thing the star does; it's too dangerous to his prospects to do otherwise.

I don't blame ESPN for this - they aren't in business to do the news; it's entertainment all the time with them - and I don't expect them to change.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to argue with a lot of the points made in both articles, but it is also hard to argue with the SEC's success record. As I pointed out in another thread, according to a 2012 article, their success has been more significant in bowls than in the regular season (LINK). Over that time, they actually had a losing regular season record against a couple of the conferences. However, if this article is accurate (LINK), over the last 10 years, the SEC does in fact have a much better record against other power conferences, especially the ACC:
SEC 112-65
ACC 60-101 (ugh)

They have also won 7 of the last 8 national championship games. While there may be some bias in getting there, you also have to win it once you do, and they have at an admittedly high rate.

While I do believe there is some bias at issue here, the other conferences really need to just step it up and start winning against them more, particularly the ACC. Lord willing, we will start the reverse of that trend in November.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I was watching game day this past weekend and Chris Fowler went on a little rant about how stupid everyone sounds saying that ESPN has a bias towards the SEC and how they have no say in the playoff system. He got a little heated and Desmond had to calm him down.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I went home for lunch yesterday and was watching some radio show on ESPN that had SVP..I think the hosts last name started with an f? Anyways, he agreed that espn and everyone over hypes the sec big time while broadcasting on an ESPN network. Made me laugh.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Great article. One great point it makes is the point about several of the teams in the top 5 building their way up there by beating Texas A&M. Earlier in the season Texas A&M and a couple of other teams pushed their way up by beating South Carolina. Both of those teams aren't very good football teams yet they were the catalyst for the rise of other teams in the polls. The SEC and ESPN have basically perfected the art of over hyping the SEC teams to the point that if they do lose, then they are just replaced by the teams that beat them who are obviously great teams because they beat the other great team. Teams like SC and Texas A&M move into the top 10 and then are just replaced by teams like Ole Miss and Miss St when they lose to them. People think the SEC is so great because they always have so many top 5 or top 10 teams when in reality, it is nearly impossible for them not to when half their conference starts off there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd like to thank ESPN for televising many of the GT games and giving us $16M a year (or whatever).

Sure they are a bunch of money grubbing shills for the SEC, what's the point? As I posted elsewhere, the SEC has won about 77% of their out of conference non-FCS games in the last two years. They have 100,000 people at most games. If you were in the entertainment business, who would you play up? It isn't "fair", it's business. The rich control the rules and get richer; that is the way the world has always worked.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think there is some bias to ESPN, and I agree that some of the Key SEC schools have not played as tough a strength of schedule.

However, football outsiders, imo, has one of the best algorithms for ranking teams based on opponent-adjusted offensive, defensive, and special teams efficiency. Here's there current top 25:
upload_2014-10-28_17-2-21.png

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Welllll, when you rank A&m, LSU, and USCe in the preseason top ten and then give people credit for beating them, it speaks for itself. All day today, the eSECpn experts, have gone on and on how the committee should pick 3 SEC teams above FSU tonight.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Welllll, when you rank A&m, LSU, and USCe in the preseason top ten and then give people credit for beating them, it speaks for itself. All day today, the eSECpn experts, have gone on and on how the committee should pick 3 SEC teams above FSU tonight.
If 3 sec teams make the playoff every confrence should form their own league. I'm tired of the sec ****