Roll call for GT vs. Louisville

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I sure hope we have more fans there than the cards, what are yalls thoughts?
Reportedly, GT sold out of its general fan allotment (which was bigger than Louisville’s) and sold out of its student allotment while Louisville had to return some of its general fan allotment. So, the crowd should be majority GT. However, the game is not sold out, so every open red seat will look like a Louisville fan on tv.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, the Broken Chair is a home-grown trophy for a very good cause. So far the U and Coach Fleck have not embraced it...similar for Nebraska...but fans on both side love it.

As for your marriage-based allegiance to Nebbie, that's too bad. They are a proud bunch and expect Rhule to turn Frost's "Gang That Can't Shoot Straight" into "The Magnificent 7" with one round of spring and summer camp. We'll see. The game is on Fox starting at 8 EST. Go Jackets! Billd.

Yeah - it's a shame that Coach Fleck and the U didn't embrace it - same goes for Nebraska as an org (although Mike Riley was apparently a fan, but then that went away pretty quickly). But the fans do love it, and I for one am glad that the fans brought it back after the first attempt to quash it, and turned it into a fundraiser for a good cause.

The best trophies in college football have organic origin stories. The Iron Skillet supposedly came from fans and an argument over frog legs. The Jeweled Shillelagh was donated by the Notre Dame alumni club in Los Angeles. Hell, even Minnesota's other trophies have full-color stories behind them. The Lil Slab of Bacon was conveniently "lost" by Wisconsin, then replaced by the Axe. Floyd of Rosedale came about when Minnesota governor Floyd Olson stepped in with a last-minute bet with Iowa's governor, which ultimately prevented a riot (yes, there are some dark undertones to that story - but the story overall gives the trophy, and the game, its historical significance and weight). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Little Brown Jug happened when Michigan coach Fielding Yost thought the Gophers would poison the water, so he had his equipment manager buy a jug. They left it behind, and when Yost wanted it back, Minnesota said they had to win it back. (Sorry - I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but many Tech fans may not know much about those trophies).

This is the stuff that makes college football great. The Universities would do well to just suck it up and adopt it. Whoever isn't in favor takes themselves way too seriously, and by my estimation has something stuck up an unpleasant place. Oh well.

That being said, will be watching Thursday, hoping for a great game with solid effort from both sides. (& I'll be cheering for y'all every other game this season). :) Go Gophers, and Go Jackets!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Reportedly, GT sold out of its general fan allotment (which was bigger than Louisville’s) and sold out of its student allotment while Louisville had to return some of its general fan allotment. So, the crowd should be majority GT. However, the game is not sold out, so every open red seat will look like a Louisville fan on tv.

Argh. Yep, this and the fact that red shows up much more vividly on TV than a hodgepodge of white, gold, and navy always hurts us in impressions.

(Even navy tends to look like black on TV, which further adds to the Louisville impression).

Even though I won't be there on Friday, I'll be wearing gold.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah - it's a shame that Coach Fleck and the U didn't embrace it - same goes for Nebraska as an org (although Mike Riley was apparently a fan, but then that went away pretty quickly). But the fans do love it, and I for one am glad that the fans brought it back after the first attempt to quash it, and turned it into a fundraiser for a good cause.

The best trophies in college football have organic origin stories. The Iron Skillet supposedly came from fans and an argument over frog legs. The Jeweled Shillelagh was donated by the Notre Dame alumni club in Los Angeles. Hell, even Minnesota's other trophies have full-color stories behind them. The Lil Slab of Bacon was conveniently "lost" by Wisconsin, then replaced by the Axe. Floyd of Rosedale came about when Minnesota governor Floyd Olson stepped in with a last-minute bet with Iowa's governor, which ultimately prevented a riot (yes, there are some dark undertones to that story - but the story overall gives the trophy, and the game, its historical significance and weight). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Little Brown Jug happened when Michigan coach Fielding Yost thought the Gophers would poison the water, so he had his equipment manager buy a jug. They left it behind, and when Yost wanted it back, Minnesota said they had to win it back. (Sorry - I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but many Tech fans may not know much about those trophies).

This is the stuff that makes college football great. The Universities would do well to just suck it up and adopt it. Whoever isn't in favor takes themselves way too seriously, and by my estimation has something stuck up an unpleasant place. Oh well.

That being said, will be watching Thursday, hoping for a great game with solid effort from both sides. (& I'll be cheering for y'all every other game this season). :) Go Gophers, and Go Jackets!
You are up to ramming speed ThatGuy on Minnesota's trophies.

The Billds will be there tonight and here's to a solid game on both sides with no significant injuries.

On the injury side I've seen several first games over the years against conference rivals or highly rated non-conference foes where the players on both sides turn it up a notch. This is appreciated of course but the players overall conditioning is better at Game 8 than at Game 1. I'm always leary about these contests.

Both sides will be hugely motivated regardless. Hoping it's a great watch on your big-screen TV with Missus ThatGuy. As we say "Row The Boat and Ski U Mah" and "Go Tech" on Saturday. Billd.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow

Just realized that Nebbie's QB...Jeff Sims...is GT's Jeff Sims who entered the Portal. At least we'll have film on him from his GT days...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Good gosh-a-mighty, I can’t wait till tomorrow. Looks like the weather will be great. I can spend the whole afternoon sitting at the tailgate, drinking beer, sipping the occasional jot of bourbon, and anticipating the rebirth of GT football.

Go Jackets!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just realized that Nebbie's QB...Jeff Sims...is GT's Jeff Sims who entered the Portal. At least we'll have film on him from his GT days...
Pulling for the Gophers.

Sims is racking up running yards in the 1st half.

And Sims throws a pick, in the end zone, with 7 seconds left in the half and Minnesota dodges a bullet. 😃

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Pulling for the Gophers.

Sims is racking up running yards in the 1st half.

And Sims throws a pick, in the end zone, with 7 seconds left in the half and Minnesota dodges a bullet. 😃
Sims looks exactly like the Sims we had here. Decent with his legs but 2 interceptions and 0 points to show for it.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims looks exactly like the Sims we had here. Decent with his legs but 2 interceptions and 0 points to show for it.

Sigh. Congrats to @BilldGopher - y'all played a great game.

As for Nebraska, You can take the Jeff Sims out of Georgia, but you can't take the Jeff Sims out of Jeff Sims. Nebraska just kept making mistakes, over and over. (So did the Gophers, but ultimately y'all played the better ballgame. It was definitely an opener on both sides, with lots to work on).

Unfortunately, given the past 12 years (see my previous posts about my wife and I's gravitational pull on Nebraska and GT results), I worry about how Nebraska's showing last night bodes for Tech tonight. Fingers crossed, but makes me nervous.

Makes me anxious about our new starting QB. Has he shaken off all the old habits that got him into trouble? Sims probably looked good in practice - good enough to beat out Casey Thompson - but once he got into a game, he started throwing picks left and right again. Hoping Tech's not in for the same.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. Congrats to @BilldGopher - y'all played a great game.

As for Nebraska, You can take the Jeff Sims out of Georgia, but you can't take the Jeff Sims out of Jeff Sims. Nebraska just kept making mistakes, over and over. (So did the Gophers, but ultimately y'all played the better ballgame. It was definitely an opener on both sides, with lots to work on).

Unfortunately, given the past 12 years (see my previous posts about my wife and I's gravitational pull on Nebraska and GT results), I worry about how Nebraska's showing last night bodes for Tech tonight. Fingers crossed, but makes me nervous.

Makes me anxious about our new starting QB. Has he shaken off all the old habits that got him into trouble? Sims probably looked good in practice - good enough to beat out Casey Thompson - but once he got into a game, he started throwing picks left and right again. Hoping Tech's not in for the same.
Opposing fates worked out pretty good in 1990

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks ThatGuy. It was tough to watch for most of the game but we gutted it out. Rhule will turn the ship around but for now Nebraska is still snakebit. Fans traveled well and we had a lot around where we sit. As for Sims, he is what he is. He gave us fits but also opportunities too. Finally, glad we'll not see that type of defense again (3-3-5); killed our running game assuming we actually have one.

Good luck to Tech against the Cardinals. I believe they have Purdue's former Coach Jeff Brohm in his first season. He is a good motivator and this is a homecoming job for him. Not sure why he stepped away from Purdue but he did. Jackets need to be ready to play.

Back to Nebraska...have two more words...Beat I-O-W-A! Bill.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I will sailing in an overnight regatta tonight in Tampa Bay, but will be wearing my GT hat to support the boys! Bring 'em to victory!
20230901_165240.jpg