Rod Rook-Chungong: A full blast of steadiness

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
1) Cool article
2) Guys like that are the lifeblood of a program. Not everybody's going to be a star, but when your non stars are solid, dependable types, that's what separates the wheat from the chaff. Absence of weak points, as much as number of strong points makes a team.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I had noticed it - not bragging - but just saying. Roddy Jones said something to the effect that golden was the only one out there and I thought to myself he missed that one. #41 was out there as well.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Rod as starter has really grown on me. He isn't the most ferocious run stopper or pass rusher, but he is pretty good at both. Gamble, Whitehead, and Simmons look to be one or the other but not both. Like all our returning linemen, he is a year bigger and wiser. My main hope is he can augment Freeman with a pass rush. In the years we had Attaochu, it seemed to me he was our entire pass rush. I can see teams making some nice runs and making some first downs via the run game, but I can't see them getting many points that way. I worry a lot more about an FSU game type problem. Any college level quarterback and receivers can throw and catch if the quarterback never has a hand in his face.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
A little Adamm Oliver-like, anyone? Remember Adamm holding down that spot with MJ93 right behind him? Oliver was so consistent against both pass and rush (though nowhere near the pass rush terror MJ was) that he always got the start.