RIP GT HoF RB Lenny Snow

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
One of the "all time, all time" nice guys to ever play at GT.

First met him when Lenny, John Battle & IIRC Jim Carlen came up to Dalton to visit with the local FCA chapter & that got expanded into a school-wide assembly. Had no idea Lenny was in the NW Georgia/Chattanooga area all these years.

Glad to see his younger brother Poocho, a teammate of YeOldeDeepSnap, is still alive.

RIP #41.

Georgia Tech great Lenny Snow dies

Grant Field at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, Sept. 1, 2020. (Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics)

Caption
Credit: Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics
GEORGIA TECH
By AJC Sports, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Lenny Snow, a member of the Georgia Tech Sports Hall of Fame, died Sunday after a brief illness. He was 76.
Snow, who was a first-team All-American running back for the Yellow Jackets in 1966, was inducted into the Tech Sports Hall of Fame in 1976.

Born June 11, 1946, in Columbus, Ohio, Snow grew up in Daytona Beach, Florida. He spent his adult life in Atlanta, Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Trenton, in Dade County.

Snow is survived by his wife of 32 years, Shelia; his three daughters: Stacy Petrea (Matthew), Shelly Nooner, and Betsy Woodward (Sean); a stepson Scott Hill (Tatiana); six grandchildren; his two brothers, Lloyd “Poocho” Snow and Bradley Snow, and a host of extended family and friends. In accordance with his wishes, there will be no funeral service.

Snow rushed for 1,743 yards in his career, with 18 touchdowns and accumulated 2,049 total yards and 19 touchdowns in three seasons. After his senior season, his rushing yards ranked second all-time at Tech. They still rank 24th. He led the Jackets in rushing in each of his three seasons (1965-67).

As a sophomore, Snow was named MVP of the 1965 Gator Bowl, when he rushed for 136 yards and a touchdown to help lead Tech to a 31-21 victory over No. 10 Texas Tech. The next season, he rushed for 761 yards and 12 touchdowns and caught 14 passes for 128 yards along the way to becoming a first-team All-American selection by the Football Writers Association of America. That season, the final one for legendary coach Bobby Dodd, the Jackets finished with a 9-2 record, an Orange Bowl berth and a No. 8 final national ranking.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Had a class with him first quarter freshman year. I will tell a story I have told on here before. We had a paper due on a Friday. Lenny was not in class. The prof asked if anyone knew where he was or had his paper to turn in. Someone in the back of the class said " coach Dodd hasn't finished writing it yet."

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

First met him when Lenny, John Battle & IIRC Jim Carlen came up to Dalton to visit with the local FCA chapter & that got expanded into a school-wide assembly. Had no idea Lenny was in the NW Georgia/Chattanooga area all these years.

Glad to see his younger brother Poocho, a teammate of YeOldeDeepSnap, is still alive.

RIP #41.

Grant Field at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, Sept. 1, 2020. (Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics)'s Bobby Dodd Stadium, Sept. 1, 2020. (Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics)

Caption
GEORGIA TECH

Lenny Snow, a member of the Georgia Tech Sports Hall of Fame, died Sunday after a brief illness. He was 76.
Snow, who was a first-team All-American running back for the Yellow Jackets in 1966, was inducted into the Tech Sports Hall of Fame in 1976.

Born June 11, 1946, in Columbus, Ohio, Snow grew up in Daytona Beach, Florida. He spent his adult life in Atlanta, Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Trenton, in Dade County.

Snow is survived by his wife of 32 years, Shelia; his three daughters: Stacy Petrea (Matthew), Shelly Nooner, and Betsy Woodward (Sean); a stepson Scott Hill (Tatiana); six grandchildren; his two brothers, Lloyd “Poocho” Snow and Bradley Snow, and a host of extended family and friends. In accordance with his wishes, there will be no funeral service.

Snow rushed for 1,743 yards in his career, with 18 touchdowns and accumulated 2,049 total yards and 19 touchdowns in three seasons. After his senior season, his rushing yards ranked second all-time at Tech. They still rank 24th. He led the Jackets in rushing in each of his three seasons (1965-67).

As a sophomore, Snow was named MVP of the 1965 Gator Bowl, when he rushed for 136 yards and a touchdown to help lead Tech to a 31-21 victory over No. 10 Texas Tech. The next season, he rushed for 761 yards and 12 touchdowns and caught 14 passes for 128 yards along the way to becoming a first-team All-American selection by the Football Writers Association of America. That season, the final one for legendary coach Bobby Dodd, the Jackets finished with a 9-2 record, an Orange Bowl berth and a No. 8 final national ranking.
He and Kim K were my very first remembrances of the very first GT game I ever attended with my dad. I am sorry for everyone's loss. Sad day.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
One of the great men to wear the white and gold. I still have the Street and Smith college football edition that featured him on the cover. I was in the 10th grade when he first appeared on the scene for the Yellow Jackets. One of my all-time favorites.

RIP Lenny!

Go Jackets!
Me too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He was a great back. Period. Full Stop. Big even for today, very, very good in the trash, with a great burst and good finishing speed. The main thing, pointed out above, was his ability to read holes and cut up field. Dwyer reminded me of him that way: find a hole, cut up field, then square up and head for the endzone. I really enjoyed that 1965 Gator Bowl; he was unstoppable.

My condolences to his bereaved family.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he was a nice fellow besides being a star fball player .I was the squad leader for his squad in Army ROTC (required) as a Fr ..He was always just one of the guys and nothing special acting at all.Sorry to hear of his passing.I guess we are getting old..

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

RIP #41.

Grant Field at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, Sept. 1, 2020. (Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics)'s Bobby Dodd Stadium, Sept. 1, 2020. (Danny Karnik/Georgia Tech Athletics)

Caption
GEORGIA TECH

Awful news, read it on one of the other boards. They also mentioned Tommy Chapman, i am old but the only Tommy Chapman i knew of was the one from Sylvan High who went on to pitch at Clemson.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Awful news, read it on one of the other boards. They also mentioned Tommy Chapman, i am old but the only Tommy Chapman i knew of was the one from Sylvan High who went on to pitch at Clemson.
Our Tommy Chapman in 1964 was an All-State QB at Westminister (AAA - largest classification at that time) where his dad was an assistant FC. Tommy made the 1965 North squad for the All-Star game that was played at Grant Field in that era. Carson switched Tommy from QB to WR, but TC was never featured, catching 5 or 6 at most in 1968 or 1969.

He definitely saved his best punting game for his last one vs UGag.... the numbers don't matter, but he put a couple out of bounds inside the Dwags' 5 YL in our 6-0 win, the first time a Howdy Dooley team had been shut out.

Year No. Avg. Longest
1967 72 38.4 70
1968 61 39.3 65
1969 62 38.0 63

Extremely nice & personable, he had a long career as an insurance salesman & financial planner.