Rhode Island game thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stats snapshot from GT Hoops' twitter account. 3P FG is a bit misleading, because I think we chose better 2ptrs instead of questionable 3ptrs. That said, we did well when we did shoot 3s.

B3va9w4CcAEfTbC.jpg

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought Lammers looked good out there. Bolden has been giving us some good minutes too. Would like to see Tadric and Bolden get more minutes. Sampson less minutes, give some of his to Lammers or go small with Stephens or Hunt at the four when Charles and Demarco aren't both in.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice win by the Jackets, but we were still plagued with inconsistency. I have to agree with what BG said in the post-game audio, the defense at the end of the first half was the best that it has been all season. We were cutting off penetration, helping on D, and we stretched the lead. However, we came out at the start of the second half and didn't look like the same team. We have to do a better job of sustaining our energy level...especially on D.

It was the same thing on offense. In the first half, we ran some good sets, moved the ball, and was patient until a good shot presented itself, and most importantly, our guys were making them. In the second half, we couldn't find driving lanes, and our guards were trying to do much. Marcus missed a couple of gimmes, and he also got too aggressive drawing two offensive fouls. We were taking quick shots.. Just not pretty for a long stretches.. We must get more consistently good execution on this end to be a better team, and I think that comes the more that these guys play together.

Big shout out to Ben Lammers. He played great in short time in the first half. He had a couple of big blocks, and he also knocked down a pair of free-throws. Let's get this young man some more PT. I would have agreed that Bolden played some good minutes until he threw the ball away for a breakaway dunk, and then compounded the mistake by committing a soft foul for an And-1. With that said, it is encouraging to see him knocking down 3's early in the season.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Sampson has been to me the biggest disappointment to some degree.I thought he was a real 3 pt threat and was a shotblocker.Not much of either really..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice win by the Jackets, but we were still plagued with inconsistency. I have to agree with what BG said in the post-game audio, the defense at the end of the first half was the best that it has been all season. We were cutting off penetration, helping on D, and we stretched the lead. However, we came out at the start of the second half and didn't look like the same team. We have to do a better job of sustaining our energy level...especially on D.

It was the same thing on offense. In the first half, we ran some good sets, moved the ball, and was patient until a good shot presented itself, and most importantly, our guys were making them. In the second half, we couldn't find driving lanes, and our guards were trying to do much. Marcus missed a couple of gimmes, and he also got too aggressive drawing two offensive fouls. We were taking quick shots.. Just not pretty for a long stretches.. We must get more consistently good execution on this end to be a better team, and I think that comes the more that these guys play together.

Big shout out to Ben Lammers. He played great in short time in the first half. He had a couple of big blocks, and he also knocked down a pair of free-throws. Let's get this young man some more PT. I would have agreed that Bolden played some good minutes until he threw the ball away for a breakaway dunk, and then compounded the mistake by committing a soft foul for an And-1. With that said, it is encouraging to see him knocking down 3's early in the season.

What bothers me is that I feel these first two paragraphs could have been written after several games last year, with very different personnel.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
MGH still continues to have moments of brilliance followed by WTH are your doing moments. Is it just a focus thing?

Also, what's up with Heyward?

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
MGH still continues to have moments of brilliance followed by WTH are your doing moments. Is it just a focus thing?

Also, what's up with Heyward?

Hope as he gets into a groove this year, the WTH moments begin to dwindle

I think we just have no need for Heyward with Heath and Jorgenson. This to me shows how much better we should be this year when our starting PG for much of last year is our 3rd string PG now

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
the RI fans are not a happy bunch this morning. Went to their board. They were expecting to beat GT by 9-12 points (similar to how we felt about Marquette). Just goes to show you how local perceptions are and that every game is its own entity, with its own rhythm and feel.

ramblinzach

Georgia Tech Fan
Can't decide on Lammers yet. I like what I've seen in his minutes but I can only imagine how a year's worth of weight training will make him a better RS-Sr vs. a true Freshman (he's still eligible for a RS, right? Or am I crazy? I always for get the bball rule).

I am, pleasantly, surprised by his hands. He seems to do a much better job of grabbing the ball down and bringing the ball up than most lanky post guys.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Lammers cannot R/S now, too many games have passed.
When he came in against the Irish and shot that hook from just shy of the FT line, knew he would get pulled out.