Rhett Lashlee for new coach at gt?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
That can't be true. I'm not disputing that admissions/donations are up. I'm saying being successful in football nets the entire Institute $$$. I'll never believe that doesn't trickle down to the academic app/donation stratosphere somehow.

I have to agree with this. Take UGA for instance. I can name a butt load of folks who attend the school just because they love the football team and the success they have had on the field since Richt has been there. It might not be a direct affect as dressedcheeseside suggested but it is at least an indirect affect. Football success is a driving force for a lot of revenue. I.E. Alabama, Texas, Michigan... etc.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not enough for the hill to make any football concessions.

Then I have to question their collective intelligence then or at least their understanding of basic economics. Right now revenue from GT merchandise is a small fraction of what a typical factory probably generates. If they don't think we can make monumental gains in that area via success in revenue sports then they aren't looking out for GT's best interests.

I'm not saying become a factory, I'm saying there are compromises that can/should be made for the betterment of academia. Not yelling at you DCS but I think you're right and it's maddening. :mad:

My earliest memories of being a GT fan are during Lethal Weapon 3's run. I remember having to have that GT gear as a fan. That connection to the school, among other things, was a factor in my choosing to attend. Sounds silly but it is what it is.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That can't be true. I'm not disputing that admissions/donations are up. I'm saying being successful in football nets the entire Institute $$$. I'll never believe that doesn't trickle down to the academic app/donation stratosphere somehow.

I agree with Cheese on this one. Football success doesn't directly translate to app increases & donations. A school like Tech measure success in far different arenas than sports. The engineering program rankings are what Tech values the most. Being the only school on the top 100 list for generating millionaires is far more valuable than any sports ranking. There only 2 schools in the state of Georgia with billion dollar endowments and Tech is one of them and the other doesn't even have a football program. GT wants to compete with MIT & Cal Tech I'm pretty sure most admin could give a damn about what Bama is doing on the football field, I would even bet many would rather have the athletic department intramural like Emory or Spelman College.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Now to counter my own argument again I have to use Stanford as the model. That institution gets it and have become very forward thinking and progressive in their athletic department, and not just in football, it's unprecedented; http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergr...onal-model-for-success-in-college-football-2/

and peep this:
"When the school added a 27,000 square foot addition with state of the art amenities, it had the help of several, including a 26-year old Stanford alum. Salman Al-Rashid, who now manages an investment fund involving Mongolian and Southeast Asian markets, pledged $500,000. He was not alone."

and really interesting:

" The fine line between endowments for players but not “paying” them, and between nonprofit football and use of private equity funds in donation form is interesting indeed."