Returning Players

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On Coach Pastner’s radio show last night, he said that Lance Terrry and Kyle Sturdivant will be coming back next year for their extra year of eligibility.

That's good. Also, interesting that it sounds like he didn't mention Howard? If so might indicate a decision there has been reached the other way considering the playing time, or lack thereof.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The guys I could see leaving are players like Meka, Howard, and Maxwell. These are guys that could go somewhere else and play and probably have graduated or will graduate. I know Maxwell has been injury-prone and has been a contributor when he was healthy, but I think Pastner has seen that he can't go 9-10 deep with this team and be successful. If we do bring everyone back, it will be interesting to see how Martynov and Bagatskis (and Cain) work into the line-up. I think if we stay with a short rotation, Kelly, Coleman, and Moore will not leave.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
We need Kyle, Smith, Kelly, Coleman, Lance and Moore to return. I am ambivalent with regards to Maxwell, but Meka and Howard are not ACC players. As such, we also need two big men transfers to come in to replace them
Let's also hope that Moore plays a lot of 'one of one' with Franklin after the season and picks up some of the fire Franklin brings.

We definitely need 2 big man transfers, hopefully at least one of them with least 2 years of eligibility remaining.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's also hope that Moore plays a lot of 'one of one' with Franklin after the season and picks up some of the fire Franklin brings.

We definitely need 2 big man transfers, hopefully at least one of them with least 2 years of eligibility remaining.
Spot on - With Kyle, Lance, Miles, Deebo, Deivon and Blue - we should be sold on the perimeter next year - three and in right situation four of them on the court.. Jaylon Moore needs to become more consistent - because you do need more size against some teams. What I am looking at is what CJP can get from the transfer portal. Definitely need two bigs that are capable of playing immediately, and they should see that- A Center and C/PF (person that can play both). I am not counting on Fredds or Martynov to contribute significantly until two season from now (if they develop sooner - that's great).

What I hope CJP does is strongly encourage players to tell him they are using their Covid year - or - choosing to Xfer ... so he knows when Portal madness starts what he needs and slots open. I do believe he allowed Jose/Moses too long to make a decision - and that closed doors on potential transfers he might have landed. Players need time to make an important decision - but coaching staff needs time to recruit behind them as well.

Agree with comments earlier in the thread that Howard, Meka, and Maxwell likely don't play significant minutes if they stay - I think all have been on court enough by now that we see what they do good, and what their weaknesses/limitations are. I am good if they choose to - I do not think teams should 'run players off', but the staff should be candid/frank with why they did not play a lot late in the season - the kids are smart enough to know what to expect next season.

I did watch San Francisco play a couple games this season, to see how Saba did in different situation - and like with most players that leave - you see some improvements (from year older/wiser/more experienced), but he would not have made a significant difference on this team this season.

Hope the AD is focused on getting NIL in place to let CJP (or any future coach) recruit on more even playing field - I have no doubt this has impacted who CJP was able to land and has GT at disadvantage with higher profile recruits/transfers.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
We need Kyle, Smith, Kelly, Coleman, Lance and Moore to return. I am ambivalent with regards to Maxwell, but Meka and Howard are not ACC players. As such, we also need two big men transfers to come in to replace them

It doesn't seem like Maxwell is someone that the team can rely on, regardless of talent level.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't seem like Maxwell is someone that the team can rely on, regardless of talent level.
Yes, and that is why I am ambivalent. I get the feeling like someone is going to get a talented player once he gets over the injuries that have limited him while he has been here, but who knows if he ever will.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know aboiut Howard, Smith and Maxwell? Have not see them on the sidelines. Have heard about Smith's injury, but not the other two. Just wondering what the future is there.