Retiring as a mod

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am retiring/quitting/(taking a sabbatical) as a mod on the GTSwarm board. Some of you will say good riddance and I can understand that feeling. My reasons are multiple, but primarily I felt I was having friction with people on board that I like. I wasn't enjoying the discourse as much. I was checking in too frequently. I was too sensitive at times and that bothered me. @John and @CuseJacket were nice enough to say nice things when I suggested maybe it was time to step away. These two care a lot about having diverse opinions on the board and we are fortunate as GT fans and alums to have this outlet for our joy as well as our frustrations. Please don't abuse it. Some people I enjoyed debating are gone because they could not or would not follow the rules. I miss some of them.

I will still be here and I thank all of you for tolerating (or not) my role as a mod. THWG!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Somebody's gotta do it, might as well be me ...

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

In all seriousness, the dedication it takes to try to wrangle these cats is something we should all appreciate more than we do. You got ill-informed fans, malcontents, dumbarses that don't know how to use the site ... and that's just me. I can't imagine what the rest of these clowns put y'all through.

Sorry you felt you had to step away but your contributions were appreciated. If you walk away with nothing else, leave with the peace of mind that I'll never (jokingly) question whether your name is inappropriate again. So .. there's that. :sneaky:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am retiring/quitting/(taking a sabbatical) as a mod on the GTSwarm board. Some of you will say good riddance and I can understand that feeling. My reasons are multiple, but primarily I felt I was having friction with people on board that I like. I wasn't enjoying the discourse as much. I was checking in too frequently. I was too sensitive at times and that bothered me. @John and @CuseJacket were nice enough to say nice things when I suggested maybe it was time to step away. These two care a lot about having diverse opinions on the board and we are fortunate as GT fans and alums to have this outlet for our joy as well as our frustrations. Please don't abuse it. Some people I enjoyed debating are gone because they could not or would not follow the rules. I miss some of them.

I will still be here and I thank all of you for tolerating (or not) my role as a mod. THWG!

We all know if @kg01, the self proclaimed "get bak" coach, actually did his job and told fonts to "get bak" when they became unruly, this place would run a lot smoother. Alas, good help is hard to get, and KG being a suboptimal "get bak" coach only makes keeping good help around here harder.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member

Thank you so much for all the time you've spent helping this community. If only I could quantify the number of hours you and the other moderators spend here mostly behind the scenes, it still wouldn't justify the huge paycheck ($0) that we send out. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

This is almost as stunning as losing Coleman. Over the top? Seriously, you’ve done a great job and I will miss your calm even-handed refereeing. Thanks for all you did!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Gotta be a tough job to be a moderator with the state of the football program and the resultant state of anger, anxiety, frustration and/or disillusionment of many on this board. Come back when/if things turn around, Tech wins football games again and Tech becomes a program we can be proud of and I suspect the time commitment and stress as moderator will be significantly less.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thank you so much for all the time you've spent helping this community. If only I could quantify the number of hours you and the other moderators spend here mostly behind the scenes, it still wouldn't justify the huge paycheck ($0) that we send out. ;)

Does the site need a new mod and, if .... someone were made mod, would they be able to immediately ban @Techster for life then resign as mod the same day? Hypothetically.

Asking for a friend. :cautious:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does the site need a new mod and, if .... someone were made mod, would they be able to immediately ban @Techster for life then resign as mod the same day? Hypothetically.

Asking for a friend. :cautious:
It's odd...we got the exact same question (with a slight twist) via PM from Techster this morning. He too was asking for a friend. Do y'all have a mutual friend or something?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's odd...we got the exact same question (with a slight twist) via PM from Techster this morning. He too was asking for a friend. Do y'all have a mutual friend or something?

BAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm just glad some people are keeping a sense of humor about them these days.

BTW...I thought DMs were kept private? I may have to rethink the monthly subscription I pay GTSwarm...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think @kg01 would make a great mod, but he isn't going to like the store brand ice cream in the moderator's breakroom fridge. Does Mayfield even deliver to the Swarm HQ building?
The problem is that the ice cream would melt by the time it got to the 63rd floor penthouse where you guys hang out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think @kg01 would make a great mod, but he isn't going to like the store brand ice cream in the moderator's breakroom fridge. Does Mayfield even deliver to the Swarm HQ building?

No .... no, he would not. There would be like 3 members left after the mass banning. A couple fellow mods would get the ax too, btw. ;)