Replacement players

Here are some of the guys we lost from the 2014 squad. Will their replacements be "as good", "better", or "not as good". When you see the list it is sobering the number of good ones we will be without. I listed my opinion.

Days--as good
Laskey--as good
Smelter--not as good
Waller--not as good
Isaiah Johnson--better
Nealy--better
Mason---not as good
Perkins---better
Zenon---better
Hill---better
Andrews---as good
Bostic---better
Green---as good
Harrell---better
McNair---better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That's some gold colored glasses right there partner! Man I hope you're right.

For the last 6 months it has just amazed me what a tremendous season we had last year. If this next group of guys can out perform that team, the GT fanbase is going to be so giddy the rest of the country won't be able to stand us.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Here are some of the guys we lost from the 2014 squad. Will their replacements be "as good", "better", or "not as good". When you see the list it is sobering the number of good ones we will be without. I listed my opinion.

Days--as good
Laskey--as good
Smelter--not as good
Waller--not as good
Isaiah Johnson--better
Nealy--better
Mason---not as good
Perkins---better
Zenon---better
Hill---better
Andrews---as good
Bostic---better
Green---as good
Harrell---better
McNair---better.

Pretty good list, especially for 2016 and the long haul, but I'm afraid some of those "betters" and "as goods" may be more than a season away (Nealy, Laskey, Days, Andrews, Perkins, Hill, I Johnson, Harrell for example). Sure hope you are more right than I.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think you're being a little bold with Quayshawn and Isaiah...man, those were two big time contributors. Quay was always around the ball. You can't really teach that sort of instinct.

The B-backs will probably be about on par with last year, but I'm not sure about the A-backs. I think you are underestimating how good Perkins was. I'm really worried about their blocking this year

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Days--as good
Laskey--as good
Smelter--not as good
Waller--not as good
Isaiah Johnson--better
Nealy--better
Mason---not as good
Perkins---better
Zenon---better
Hill---better
Andrews---as good
Bostic---better
Green---as good
Harrell---better
McNair---better.
For the life of me I just don't get thinking that Tech can give up 1,800 yards rushing at Bback and conclude we will be better there in '15. I hope everybody who thinks that is right, but while I think we can be good in a different way, I just don't see 130 to 150 yards a game there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The run Days went on when he became a starter was unreal. Even Dwyer never went on a run of ground production like that.

IJ played the best I've seen him play in his GT career. He cut down on taking bad angles, finished off plays as opposing to letting guys slip tackles, and he read plays better than I've seen him do in the past. He was a real asset on defense last year.

Nealy probably played the LB position the best we've seen in the CPJ era. He wasn't perfect, but he made plays and was an impact player more often than not.

Deon Hill was actually a really good AB. Very versatile. He would easily be the 1st string AB this year. It was unfortunate his career was slowed by health issues. Will be hard to reproduce his clutch plays in the passing game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Without nealy it will be interesting to see if Davis has the angles to make his tackles or is he a step behind.
the total impact of these grads will be huge game. By uga I really hope u are right because the ol and defense should be much better by then which could make 2015 thanksgiving weekend great.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
That's some gold colored glasses right there partner! Man I hope you're right.

For the last 6 months it has just amazed me what a tremendous season we had last year. If this next group of guys can out perform that team, the GT fanbase is going to be so giddy the rest of the country won't be able to stand us.
AMEN to that bro!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I think you're being a little bold with Quayshawn and Isaiah...man, those were two big time contributors. Quay was always around the ball. You can't really teach that sort of instinct.

The B-backs will probably be about on par with last year, but I'm not sure about the A-backs. I think you are underestimating how good Perkins was. I'm really worried about their blocking this year
I agree with what you are saying. The difference in A backs will be how well do they block. By the end of the season our A backs were laying devastating blocks on LB and CB of the enemy. They still missed some but it was a huge improvement. a big ?? to me is who will take over where Quay left off.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
For the life of me I just don't get thinking that Tech can give up 1,800 yards rushing at Bback and conclude we will be better there in '15. I hope everybody who thinks that is right, but while I think we can be good in a different way, I just don't see 130 to 150 yards a game there.

I think a lot of has to do with the Olineman. Did you expect those numbers from Synjyn prior to last season? No. We didn't even expect Synjyn to be a big contributor

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Days--?
Laskey--?
Smelter--not as good
Waller--not as good
Isaiah Johnson--?
Nealy--?
Mason---not as good
Perkins---?
Zenon---?
Hill---?
Andrews---?
Bostic---?
Green---?
Harrell---?
McNair---?.

FTFY

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think Demond Smith will be better than IJ?

I like IJ and appreciate his time here, he really laid the wood to folks last year, but it seems like he took terrible angles his whole career at GT. I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else can do in his spot, i believe his could definitely be an upgrade spot. Not necc. Demond though, we'll see after fall camp i guess.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
I like IJ and appreciate his time here, he really laid the wood to folks last year, but it seems like he took terrible angles his whole career at GT. I'm looking forward to seeing what someone else can do in his spot, i believe his could definitely be an upgrade spot. Not necc. Demond though, we'll see after fall camp i guess.
Isaiah did take bad angles but he knew how to tackle. Demond takes bad angles and can't tackle.

thwgjacket

Isaiah did take bad angles but he knew how to tackle. Demond takes bad angles and can't tackle.
Interesting considering that Demond played less than IJ last year but had more tackles than IJ. Demond was third on the team in tackles last year, he had 73. He only had one less pass break up and one less tackle for loss than IJ and they had the same number of picks.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Andrews and Perkins were perhaps the two best blocking backs we have had in the CPJ era. No way their replacements will be as good or better this year. What I am hoping is that they will be good enough.