Remarkable Stat from Andy Demetra

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Lots of remarkable numbers from this season, but this one is eye-popping.

Outside of the short turnaround against Louisville, we've had a chance to beat everyone we played. We should have won against UVA the first time, and Clemson at home. There's an argument to be made we should have won more games...but we didn't. It is what it is...but it has been an impressive year for us in the ACC all things considered.

It makes me REALLY excited for the NCAAT. Can't imagine how much it will be a nightmare to prepare for us in a tournament setting.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be just as telling about which teams tend to draw an easier schedule as it is about how teams do against the toughest schedule.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
This may be just as telling about which teams tend to draw an easier schedule as it is about how teams do against the toughest schedule.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I’d like to see the teams next to those records. Guessing WF is at least half of those both because they’ve been down and probably have more games against the other NC teams.

There’s tie-ins to who you play multiple times every season, right?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Lots of remarkable numbers from this season, but this one is eye-popping.

The way this team is playing right now, there is a real chance the Jackets win the ACC tournament.
Well, usually one would expect the team that draws the toughest schedule not to be one of the best, since they wouldn't be playing themselves. This year is an exception.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The worst teams usually don't play themselves, which helps with strength of schedule a lot.

Tech was uniquely screwed this year in conference play because of COVID. The SOS doesn't even take into account our 5 games in a week stretch forced by COVID

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking ahead - next years ACC Schedule 'should' be easier....

Home/Away - Clemson, Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Va Tech, and UNC
Home only - FSU, Louisville, NC State, Wake
Away only - Duke, Pitt, Syracuse, UVA

This year we had UVA/FSU/Duke twice (and unlike VT who skipped FSU twice, UNC and Louisville once - GT actually played all six of those) ... GT did not play home game vs BC (high odds to win), road game to NC State (not easy but winnable given it was after the Daniels injury - Sheetz gas station owner probably disappointed we did not play this one), and road game to Notre Dame (hardest of the three as they are tough match up for GT)

Depending on which if any seniors return (Usher is most likely to in my opinion) - I hope CJP eases up on the non-conference schedule to let the young team learn to play together, learn to play defense, learn roles, see what each new player can really do, etc.
We'll for sure have UAB, Ga State, and Big10 team at home (not likely a bottom feeder like we got with Nebraska this year). Road game at UGA.
Assume at least one more game vs. Q1/Q2 team ... but might want rest vs. mid-level teams at home to go into ACC on positive note.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why do we ALWAYS have to go to Cameron?

We don't. We didn't play them last year. We didn't play them 3 years ago. We didn't play them 5 years ago.

There will of course occasionally be a pair of years where we either go @Duke then h&h or h&h then at duke.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think if we had a strong number 5, this team could make a run at a final four. In the moments where our team looks lost, its typically when we have to guard a stretch 3 or 4 who is 6'7-6'9 with Jose or Bubba.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if we had a strong number 5, this team could make a run at a final four. In the moments where our team looks lost, its typically when we have to guard a stretch 3 or 4 who is 6'7-6'9 with Jose or Bubba.
I think our biggest thing were missing is a wing with some height who can rlly stroke it. Like a A-Mo type to go w the core four

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our biggest thing were missing is a wing with some height who can rlly stroke it. Like a A-Mo type to go w the core four
@GTrob21 - I think your point is a big part of why the starting lineup changed a few weeks ago with Khalid replacing Bubba.

@Silk3 - Totally agree. And I think Bubba's 3pt shooting was the reason he was starting (small ball starting lineup) ahead of Khalid until recently, for exactly the issue you describe. As our offensive efficiency and effectiveness improved over the season (in particular Usher), my guess is it allowed Pastner to replace Bubba's 3pt shooting with Khalid's height/length on defense, without suffering a dropoff on the offensive end which may have been the case earlier in the year. That said, I still think/suspect it is a game-by-game quarter-by-quarter decision based on opponent lineups and matchups whether Bubba or Khalid gets more minutes.

There are a few Top 20 teams with dominant offensive interior bigs (paired with or surrounded by elite 3pt shooters) who concern me in terms of potential tourney matchups, but for the most, part I think Moses has more than held his own defending the 5 spot this year (with help from Usher occasionally). If we could pick a hypothetical player or skillset to add to this team, I agree with @Silk3... give me a "3 and D" 6'7-6'9 athletic wing who drills 3s. I'd take that over a stiff 6'11 post defender. Way more flexibility on both ends of the floor with the former than the latter. Khalid and Usher are pretty close to that aforementioned hypothetical player, and continually improving their skillsets to go with their size and athleticism.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are many ways to build a strong team but to me the piece we are missing is Jay Huff.

Great defensive big, efficient offensively who can drag defenders away from the rim to leave the paint open for Moses.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
There are many ways to build a strong team but to me the piece we are missing is Jay Huff.

Great defensive big, efficient offensively who can drag defenders away from the rim to leave the paint open for Moses.
I think that’s what the staff was hoping Saba would be able to give them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We get an officiating crew that decides to call the game very tightly and our starting 5 will foul out. They have to let our guards hassle the ball handler without calling ticky-tack fouls. If they don't, we'll lose bigly.