Rejected by GT led to a championship

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I live in Michigan and never heard of this kid. If he was that good on the field in sure State,UM,CMU,WMU,EMU or D2 power GVSU would've had him come in for a "tryout". Not buying it..

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, I'm sure he's a good kid and that writer probably didn't do him any favors the way he portrayed him.

I strongly suspect that you are right. Many writers, if not most, like to muck things up and/or embellish in order to attract attention and/or confirm their own prejudices. I'm happy for the kid and grateful he thought enough of Tech to let us see if we might be able to use him on the team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm currently rewatching the miami game from last year. I hear ya.
Thanks to a recent posting I discovered I could find 2008 Georgia-GT on Youtube. Watched second half only. Glorious. But also over the weekend found '13 Ga. Southern and '13 Tulane. Difference in offense for first half season and second half was astounding, as was how Johnson obviously nursed Thomas to prominence later in the season. (After a couple of shaky fumbles, pitches against Tulane he essentially reduced the offense to rocket toss left, rocket toss right, Laskey up the middle.) But for a real lesson on how far the offense/recruiting has come, take a look at the '08 Georgia game and bounce it off the last half of the '13 season. Was hard to believe. From the first year of a new offense to six seasons later was eye popping.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This is simple--fball is a team sport unlike wrestling- and QB is a thinking position not a "will" position.He should play LB.---er,Square peg in round hole.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Cornell has good engineering and science degrees--#13 on US News' ranking. Yes, they're good at Liberal Arts, but they're good at what we're good at, too. Some of my profs were from Cornell.

Cornell has an Ivy League football team too. Shame things didn't work out for him here, but not many people make D1/BCS/whatever-our-section-of-football-is-called-these-days football.
Glad to see somebody else can't make heads or tails of these designations. I just figure that whenever the NCAA does anything -- "student athlete" for example -- shenanigans are afoot. Kind of like tax "reform" and tax "streamlining". I don't want to beat up on the kid, who seems to have done very well for himself, but yes, if he wanted to play football, Cornell has a team and if one assumes coaches knew what they were doing, more in line with his skills. If he wanted to play QB at Tech, the odds of that as with any college team, are pretty obvious: three a year, topside. And it should have been left at D1, etc.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude was asked why he wrestled. He answered honestly.

My Dad wrestled for Tech. Its too bad we don't do that anymore.

Anyhow, football is what it is. I promise very few of us would be comfortable with the 'meat market' aspect of it. Non revenue soorts, especially those without professional versions, lack that vice.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Turns out my brother watched the broadcast of both his semifinal and championship match. Before the first one and during it the announcers made no mention of GT. Then after he won it the last question he was asked was stte of "When did this journey in wrestling begin for you?" to which he replied "the moment I said no to GT football." So then during the championship match the announcers now made mention of this GT background story. After he won the championship in the interview he started by clarifying that he meant that his journey to be a champion in wrestling started when GT rejected him for football. He then went on to say he decided then and there to only dedicate himself to a sport where he could control his own destiny (as my brother points out), that means, no team sport.

It isn't all that big of a deal, but thought I would add my brother's info as it makes clear that this kid was the one peddling an angle to the media that portrayed GT's football program or coaches in a poor light. It is actually all rather bizarre given his father is a wrestling coach and was a collegiate champion.