Refresh a old Tech Man Mind !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Had a discussion about our team dealing with mental and physical mistakes .A friend of mine says we have jumped the gun several times on fourth and one on defense and have been off sides on the kick off many times during the past few years.The discussion also deals with guys running out of bounds in the late stages of the game causing the clock to stop rather than run. Now I do r ember some of this but cant put a game to the infraction.If any of you can help a old man out..............thanks.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The only thing accurate in your friend's memory is jumping off sides on the OL when trying to go on two (VT game). I don't recall any offsides by the defense or special teams in the last few years, certainly nothing epidemic in those categories. Also nobody ran out of bounds late in any games. The only time I remember that was one of our RB's in the O'leary days. There were a few major mental blunders in the CCG era that cost us (won't rehash those), but I think you're talking about the CPJ years, and I just don't see much accuracy in what your friend is saying.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The only thing accurate in your friend's memory is jumping off sides on the OL when trying to go on two (VT game). I don't recall any offsides by the defense or special teams in the last few years, certainly nothing epidemic in those categories. Also nobody ran out of bounds late in any games. The only time I remember that was one of our RB's in the O'leary days. There were a few major mental blunders in the CCG era that cost us (won't rehash those), but I think you're talking about the CPJ years, and I just don't see much accuracy in what your friend is saying.

We have had a few late hits out of bounds on D (some marginal calls) and one recent CB offsides (that is about as bad as the NT jumpimg offsides) but most of the "bad" mistakes have been the OL jumping the snap count. Overall CPJ has done a good job with having relatively few "dumb" penalties.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
yeah PJ era...just remember two or lee going out of bounds and in busting folks up....well UOU never know ...thanks guys.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Post should read I remember ta or lee going out of bounds and nm busting folks up.mind does strange things....yes remember Joe going out of bounds in GOL era.thanks guys

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Post should read I remember ta or lee going out of bounds and nm busting folks up.mind does strange things....yes remember Joe going out of bounds in GOL era.thanks guys

I don't post or go over to that site where that thread was anymore. We did have some false starts called on us last year and some by our veterans at that. But I don't think that's a total cause to blame CPJ like the other site has, not saying you are saying that. You have a great knowledge of GT football andI love when you and others talk about the old days. A lot of us were not bless with that history and I thank you for sharing your memories with us my friend.

Getting back to the topic. There could've been some things that help contribute to that @Mack , like injuries to our line and maybe the chemistry of leadership? You guys here know so much more than I do and this was just an opinion. What I do see from what our guys are posting is a more confident, harder working (off and on the field), focus and family core on this team.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, the worst offense under CPJ that I can remember was when Attouchu hit Logan Thomas late in the Virginia Tech game a few years ago. I honestly believe that 1 penalty changed the tenor and pace of the game in their favor by extending that drive.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the worst offense under CPJ that I can remember was when Attouchu hit Logan Thomas late in the Virginia Tech game a few years ago. I honestly believe that 1 penalty changed the tenor and pace of the game in their favor by extending that drive.

and MAYBE changed the whole PJ era.If IF we would have won that,vt attitude may be different and our whole conference record especially better as well as nationally...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on that hit.....it did change the mo of the game.I am sure we have had mental errors but cant really pin point who they were against.I used to when I coached really go over film but now shoot.........just try and enjoy play by play.Would like to see better o this year from QB SLOT and improvement on defense and with Roof I think we can do it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on that hit.....it did change the mo of the game.I am sure we have had mental errors but cant really pin point who they were against.I used to when I coached really go over film but now shoot.........just try and enjoy play by play.Would like to see better o this year from QB SLOT and improvement on defense and with Roof I think we can do it.

Yeah. Coaching experience ruins you as a fan....always looking for bad calls and mistakes and things that can be worked on and corrected and in the process you miss the enjoyment of just watching the play by play. Hope I can get to where you are and leave some of the past behind. Probably not in my DNA.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Coaching experience ruins you as a fan....always looking for bad calls and mistakes and things that can be worked on and corrected and in the process you miss the enjoyment of just watching the play by play. Hope I can get to where you are and leave some of the past behind. Probably not in my DNA.
Well......really Danny I still look for mistakes and who is winning low more than I need too.it is different to change though.good luck my friend

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I bet it's worse if you're a former GT player.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I bet it's worse if you're a former GT player.
Agree with you on that my friend...........what is bad is you practice all week long after watching films etc and then you play and maybe you win by big score ......well fans drink tons of kool aide and promote you to coach of the year but you know ................you have better athletes than the team you played and made tons of mistakes that if not corrected will cause you to lose the big uns.....hard to tell fans after whipping folks 35-0 that you have got to fix problems on offense etc when you score that much.You can however after time and probably change of jobs enjoy the film but I still at times want to see who is whipping whom on the offense and defense.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah PJ era...just remember two or lee going out of bounds and in busting folks up....well UOU never know ...thanks guys.

Mack, Vad and TW never ran out of bounds late in the game with a lead. How can one run out of bounds if we run the dive every single play like you say? I remember Vad running out of bounds to stop the clock but it was at the end of the 2nd quarter of the Pitt game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My friend .............you use the word never like you are the final authority on the subject and maybe you are put doubt after playing four years of football at college level like lee and tw i wouldnt bet on the assumption that they never ran out of bounds.Dont think they were that perfect but..........did it ever kill the clock not so sure like I told you on the other board remember Wes making comment on a option keep that may have killed the clock.Yeah it does seem we run the dive alot and sometimes we fake the dive and option the end and sometimes we get to the corner.......but I see your sarcasm and it is appropriate.Good to see you posting over here......good folks are all over the place here.