Recruiting Budget

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If this is redundant I apologize.

I admittedly don’t pay as much attention as I used to, but is CDS doing more with the same as his predecessor or is there some kind of massive…endowment, donation, whatever that is enabling him to cast such a wide net? Is this the new AD at work?

Regardless, it’s incredibly exciting.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm still bummed we lost Miles to Auburn, and I get the feeling it was an NIL situation - I think it will cost us some wins next season but I hope I'm wrong and his replacements crush it. You have to imagine these stud freshmen are not committing without big $$$ promises though. I suspect J Batt made strong financial support from the megadonors a requirement for the Pastner fire / CDS hire. I think the commitment to world class athletics from Prez Cabrera has been great - never, ever saw that kind of thing from Bud. He is a huge sports fan (particularly soccer) and said that for him, success in athletics is a personal matter.

I am not nearly as inside as some posters here (you know who you are and we are all very grateful!!) but I have some hearsay that GTBB is an extreme dark horse with regards to NIL funding. I give to both GTMBB and GTWBB (not program changing amounts but I try to do my part) - I don't think there is a better investment in the athletic department because a single stud guard can change the trajectory of the program whereas buying a RB for the football team is still only 1/22 of the key players.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been thinking this myself. CDS must have a bag man.
I have no knowledge but think it would be ex-players- Bosh, Anderson, Starbury, Salley, etc come to mind. Most rich GT alums that are non-athletes just rather have their name on a scholarship or over a meeting room door than give money to our athletics programs. GT just does not treat our alums very well at all so Batt has an uphill battle rebuilding our donor base.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I have no knowledge but think it would be ex-players- Bosh, Anderson, Starbury, Salley, etc come to mind. Most rich GT alums that are non-athletes just rather have their name on a scholarship or over a meeting room door than give money to our athletics programs. GT just does not treat our alums very well at all so Batt has an uphill battle rebuilding our donor base.
I agree that most rich GT donors are not former GT athletes. And most former GT athletes like me are not rich donors. The NCAA rules still prohibit donors as well as former student athletes from involving themselves with any recruitment of a student athlete prospect, and former student athletes are for life. They cannot be involved in any prospect recruiting in any manner, even after a letter of intent is signed and until the prospect attends the first day of practice or the first day of class. Tech just came off a 5-year NCAA basketball probation for a certain former basketball S/A on the NCAA finals team and then NBA player who provided cash to a recruit prospect.

After enrollment and attendance, the benefits rule kicks in for the student athlete. Then there is the employment rule that says the S/A has to actually do the work for which employed, at the same wage as non-S/A's. Coaching legend has that Lew Alcindor and Artis Gilmore did not have college scholarships, but were compensated by being given high paying jobs outside the school, one as city assistant parks and recreation director. This resulted in the Gilmore rule in the mid-seventies to prevent such high-paid no-work jobs. Not sure how NIL plays regarding NIL contracts, especially rewarding performance (NCAA prohibited) or no-work at high wage NIL deals.

And I assume the same NCAA rules apply to recruiting prospects on the transfer portal. GTAA is heavily invested in sports compliance and I hope they are monitoring our programs closely. We are still on the NCAA radar from the previous mens basketball coach. And success draws attention on how accomplished. In the old days, it took 5 coaches to agree to report NCAA violations, but now with AI and social media and pressure to win, a trigger for an NCAA investigation may be easier to do.

A simple set of NCAA rules is published for athletic boosters at DII UVA-Wise. https://www.uvawise.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/pages/2020-10/Athletic-Booster-Brochure.pdf. I enjoy watching DII sports, since they are not so much influenced by NIL and transfers and especially TV and media.. My grandson is playing football and baseball at DII UNC-Pembroke in the fall after a 4* public high school athletic career and 4.6 GPA. He loved both sports and DI schools would not make him an offer to play both.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Wow, there's so much of this to understand. I guess you got to follow it really close.

Let's say Salley gets Maya's Cookies to open up a store in Atlanta next to campus. They want Sutton to munch cookies after the games and are willing to sign him to an NIL contract. They can't recruit him to represent their company before enrolling or playing? Salley could not represent the company, it would have to be someone else?

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve been thinking this myself. CDS must have a bag man.

Since NIL is above board, why not just NIL instead of bag men (illicit)

Bag man:
an agent who collects or distributes the proceeds of illicit activities.
"one million dollars cash paid to the general's bagman"
—Oxford language dictionary

Wow, there's so much of this to understand. I guess you got to follow it really close.

Let's say Salley gets Maya's Cookies to open up a store in Atlanta next to campus. They want Sutton to munch cookies after the games and are willing to sign him to an NIL contract. They can't recruit him to represent their company before enrolling or playing? Salley could not represent the company, it would have to be someone else?

Salley doesn’t work for the AA. Money from an institute representative like Stoudamire would be different.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I heard the basketball team currently had $2mil for NIL. I was shocked and would not believe it if it had not been a source who should know.
Bob THWg
Going into the off-season, this was a really good place to be.

As the transfer market developed, it was only OK at best.

So many schools began exceeding that budget level and a couple of players got close to that amount on their own.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Going into the off-season, this was a really good place to be.

As the transfer market developed, it was only OK at best.

So many schools began exceeding that budget level and a couple of players got close to that amount on their own.

I guess I'm interested to see if these schools can actually cover these amounts. Or if they blow up on them like Rashada in football with UFlorida.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that most rich GT donors are not former GT athletes. And most former GT athletes like me are not rich donors. The NCAA rules still prohibit donors as well as former student athletes from involving themselves with any recruitment of a student athlete prospect, and former student athletes are for life. They cannot be involved in any prospect recruiting in any manner, even after a letter of intent is signed and until the prospect attends the first day of practice or the first day of class. Tech just came off a 5-year NCAA basketball probation for a certain former basketball S/A on the NCAA finals team and then NBA player who provided cash to a recruit prospect.

After enrollment and attendance, the benefits rule kicks in for the student athlete. Then there is the employment rule that says the S/A has to actually do the work for which employed, at the same wage as non-S/A's. Coaching legend has that Lew Alcindor and Artis Gilmore did not have college scholarships, but were compensated by being given high paying jobs outside the school, one as city assistant parks and recreation director. This resulted in the Gilmore rule in the mid-seventies to prevent such high-paid no-work jobs. Not sure how NIL plays regarding NIL contracts, especially rewarding performance (NCAA prohibited) or no-work at high wage NIL deals.

And I assume the same NCAA rules apply to recruiting prospects on the transfer portal. GTAA is heavily invested in sports compliance and I hope they are monitoring our programs closely. We are still on the NCAA radar from the previous mens basketball coach. And success draws attention on how accomplished. In the old days, it took 5 coaches to agree to report NCAA violations, but now with AI and social media and pressure to win, a trigger for an NCAA investigation may be easier to do.

A simple set of NCAA rules is published for athletic boosters at DII UVA-Wise. https://www.uvawise.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/pages/2020-10/Athletic-Booster-Brochure.pdf. I enjoy watching DII sports, since they are not so much influenced by NIL and transfers and especially TV and media.. My grandson is playing football and baseball at DII UNC-Pembroke in the fall after a 4* public high school athletic career and 4.6 GPA. He loved both sports and DI schools would not make him an offer to play both.
All of this is going away, one lawsuit at a time. The NCAA is not enforcing any of this. As soon as they try to, a lawsuit pops up and the NCAA is handed a loss. Looking at Tennessee and Virginia.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow

If this is true, whey was Jarett Jack allowed to take Wendall Carter to a strip club?

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I'm interested to see if these schools can actually cover these amounts. Or if they blow up on them like Rashada in football with UFlorida.
Exactly the Sanders kid that filed for bankruptcy was tagged as getting over a million in NIL, but he has really only cleared about 300k in that time frame. Taxes not a factor. So what is the real deal? A lot of bs floating around!!

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly the Sanders kid that filed for bankruptcy was tagged as getting over a million in NIL, but he has really only cleared about 300k in that time frame. Taxes not a factor. So what is the real deal? A lot of bs floating around!!
These aren't guaranteed contracts. Most have a termination for convenience clause, for obvious reasons. They can't tie the compensation to playing the games they are being paid to play so the collective needs an out if the player leaves.