Recruiting: Anything we can learn from.....

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Good catch. Yes, my "sometimers" had kicked in. Of course, I was thinking of the 91 bowl. I had forgotten about the Seattle Bowl win. Coach Mac did a great job for that game. Not bad for a former bulldog. (I think?)
Coach Mac has the highest winning percentage in Tech history!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I believe there is a parallel between Vandy/UT and GT/UGA. I think a potential recruit would perceive that academics would be more difficult at Vandy and GT and that their college experience would be more fun at UGA and GT. Also, I would assume that the main goal of a 4 or 5-star recruit is to play in the NFL and they might not even see the value in a degree so why make it harder than necessary. Maybe there are things we can learn from Vandy recruiting; they are obviously doing something right.

As fans, we need to do our part by filling up Bobby Dodd on game day, donating to the program or buying season tickets, and getting excited. We need to create a more electric atmosphere that would be more exciting to prospects. It looks like in 2014 we averaged over 6,000 empty seats per game and our team was really good that year. We can do better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

LibertyTurns

Banned
My oh my we can fret over just about any other program. OK, Vandy's similar because it's near downtown and has a great academic reputation. Here's their record the last 10 yrs:

6-7 (0-2 ACC, GT & NCst)
4-8
3-9
9-4 (1-0 ACC, WF)
9-4 (2-0 ACC, WF & NCst
6-7 (1-0 ACC, WF)
2-10 (0-1 ACC, WF)
2-10 (0-1 ACC, GT)
7-6 (1-2 ACC- BC, Duke & WF)
5-7 (0-1 ACC, WF)

53-72 (5-7 ACC). I wouldn't have guessed their record against the ACC would have been so good but they were 3-2 against WF and 2-5 against everyone else.

They're probably more in line with Duke than GT when you sum it all up, except for the fact they have an urban campus. They offer basically the same degrees, their alumni base is probably the same demographic as Duke, etc. Their football programs have both been fairly poor except for a couple of season when they caught lightning in a bottle. Let's not make them out to be some burgeoning juggernaut that's cracked the code on how to get 5* recruits to beat down their doors and is on the cusp of kicking everyone's butts for the next decade.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we want to be like Vandy, overall. I believe the posited question was, "How is Vandy attracting talent?" In the past, many of these recruits would've undoubtedly gone to UT but they are now choosing Vandy. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
While the possibility of multiple 4 and 5 star recruits is something I hope for, I love the generally very high level of character found in Tech recruits. It is easy to support Tech players. They tipically set the standard for what student athletes should be. Personally if we could only add more high ranked recruits by adding players that are likely to be in and out of trouble while on the team, I would rather stay where we are (yes, I know they aren't mutually exclusive). Our recent uptick imho in recruiting seems to continue the high character tradition. The "family feel" that many recruits mention is probably in part due to the recruits assessment of the teammates character. Hopefully more 4 and maybe 5 stars meeting Tech's standards can be recruited but the others can be tossed to the dwags etc.