Recommendations for First Time to Clemson

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My wife are going to Clemson on Thursday and it will be our first time going to a game there. I'm looking for some recommendations from folks that have made the trip before. Looking for good places to park, recommended restaurants, pregame things to see, etc.

Also, we're assuming we'll need to add an hour or so to the normal commute due to gameday traffic. Is that about right?

Thanks in advance! Go Jackets!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I had a good experience at Clemson. No issue wearing gold on a sea of orange. Very welcoming.

I parked in a field near the campus entrance. It’s a decent walk to the stadium and I remember lots of mud.

I would get there early enough to see their buses drive around the stadium for no reason. It’s quite a scene with the balloons and the whole rock thing.

I remember eating at the BBQ joint near the highway, but there wasn’t a lot of options from what I can remember because it’s a cow field...

/

slugboy

Staff member
There are plenty of places to eat near Clemson, but mostly on the north side. On game day, they’ll be swamped.
I’d look for something on the route in north Georgia that fit with my schedule, or pack something, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
My wife are going to Clemson on Thursday and it will be our first time going to a game there. I'm looking for some recommendations from folks that have made the trip before. Looking for good places to park, recommended restaurants, pregame things to see, etc.

Also, we're assuming we'll need to add an hour or so to the normal commute due to gameday traffic. Is that about right?

Thanks in advance! Go Jackets!
Little Pigs in Anderson
(time permitting -it's about 5 mi south from exit 19)
i dunno about traffic but schools are letting out at noon (tailgaters)

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
We had a good experience there (other than the heavy downpour we had to endure) a couple years ago. I think there were only 20 Tech fans in the entire stadium that night, so we stuck out wherever we went. We got our tickets from a Clemson season-ticket holder who couldn't make it to the game, so we were able to park in one of the grass lots near the stadium where all the Clemson folks were tailgating. The people in the parking area were really friendly to us and likely would have let us join their tailgate party, if we didn't already have friends to meet at the stadium. Super friendly people, before and after the game. We did get a few cold looks from some fans walking to the stadium, but that was about all. One Clemson guy did come up to us and yelled in my face, "U-G-A! U-G-A!" Because we were in a Clemson season-ticket area, I also overheard a comment from a nearby fan: "Why did they let those people in here?!" But overall, we had a fine experience with the Clemson people.

As far as accommodations, there was nothing available for about a 20-mile radius around the stadium, unless you wanted to pay a lot of money. This is typical for Clemson home games. We ended up getting a motel on the outskirts of Greenville and drove in. There's lots of good barbeque in the area, but because we live in Charleston, we're coming from a different direction and have different eateries along the way. I'm not familiar with anything We ended up just going to 5-Guys on Hwy 123.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Be prepared to walk a decent way from parking to the stadium. And be prepared to wait about 2 hours in traffic trying to get out of parking after the game.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. AND AT NIGHT IT'S TERRIBLE.

They do make all roads one way after the game though. (Leaving the college) from my experience anyways.

It can be rather confusing to navigate at night. Everything looks the same because it's all farm land. Looks a lot like South Georgia.

I would advise getting there early and being comfortable. When we went we walked in the gate at kickoff and felt rushed the whole time.

Btw parking is completely different than Atlanta. We ended up parking on the side of some road. I asked the cop if that's okay and he said "sure" in the most unconvincing way lol.

We walked about a mile to the stadium in the rain.

I want to go Thursday, but I wouldn't be able to get there when I would like to. Can't leave till about 3:30PM and that's not enough time to feel comfortable leaving from Atlanta.

GT_EE78

Banned
Smokin’ Pig is supposed to be really good.
I have also heard it's good (but diddn't mention it as it is en route between exit 19 and clemson - I can only imagine that it would be packed)
however you can call ahead and then pick up to go (call Lori (864)-787-7827 or by contacting the Tailgate Contact Page Here)
In anderson. Little Pigs(best value and pulled pork), also Pompous Pig ( beef brisquite)...
also Creekside BBQ and Saddler's Creek BBQ are excellent as well

Milwaukee

Banned
Worst concessions I’ve ever experienced at a major cfb stadium. Maybe things have changed drastically since 06 but you need to eat before you get there. It was high school football style hamburgers wrapped in aluminum foil with no condiments in sight, low quality dogs, and nachos in a paper tray with a cup of cheese. Low quality.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I am using this service tomorrow for parking
Screenshot_20190828-173513_One UI Home.jpg