Receivers

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok so I wanted to make this talking about how with every thing going as bad as it did offensively that the receivers were not bad at all. Especially Ahmarean Brown( Who could have easily beat the freshman record easily), the addition of Ezzard, and let’s not forget that we didn’t have Jalen camp the whole season pretty much. So a lot of potential and just gonna say it I think brown is gonna be the best receiver in the acc by his junior season

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Brown obviously proved himself. Nobody else has though. I spent all off season talking up Carter and he didn’t show much. Ezzard was highly rated but is still an unknown.

slugboy

Staff member
My memory might be poor, but I don’t remember anyone distinguishing themselves in screen passes or in intermediate (5-10) yard routes last season. Line play and QB accuracy were issues, but still you’d like to see players coming free.
Receiver blocking was poor on the screen passes I remember.
These guys have lots of potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
We have potentially great RB and WR. Once we get better O-Line play and depth and consistency at QB we will be a force on offense. Great things are ahead for this program.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Brown obviously proved himself. Nobody else has though. I spent all off season talking up Carter and he didn’t show much. Ezzard was highly rated but is still an unknown.
Carter was a big disappointment for me as well; maybe he can turn a corner this year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I withhold judgement until after this season. These guys were in the first year of a new offense that was completely different than what they were running previously. They are running much more complex route trees. I am hoping to see big improvements. Also hoping for a big season from Camp. I want Brown to be more involved in the short passing game as well to become a more complete receiver. Hopefully the oline and qb play improves to a point where the wr's can have more involvement in the offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see Camp being a main stay. He’s a big guy but doesn’t possess the speed to get separation. And I have yet to see the hops to win the jump ball. If I were him I’d be begging to play TE. I just don’t see him being a top 4 WR for GT. Our recruiting at that position has been stellar under Collins so I doubt the older guys beat out the young bucks.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have someone who was 6"5 wearing Calvin's number at the spring game last year what ever happened to him.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I withhold judgement until after this season. These guys were in the first year of a new offense that was completely different than what they were running previously. They are running much more complex route trees. I am hoping to see big improvements. Also hoping for a big season from Camp. I want Brown to be more involved in the short passing game as well to become a more complete receiver. Hopefully the oline and qb play improves to a point where the wr's can have more involvement in the offense.

Camp had the highest ypg receiving last year. He's a beast.

We'll see if the line can protect the QB and the QB can do their job. I think our receivers are deep and have really good physical tools overall. We don't have a freak or 2 like we saw last year at LSU, Clemson, Bama, but very few teams have even one of those guys. I think our receivers can be excellent if they run good routes, although it will take good QB play to capitalize.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Camp had the highest ypg receiving last year. He's a beast.

We'll see if the line can protect the QB and the QB can do their job. I think our receivers are deep and have really good physical tools overall. We don't have a freak or 2 like we saw last year at LSU, Clemson, Bama, but very few teams have even one of those guys. I think our receivers can be excellent if they run good routes, although it will take good QB play to capitalize.

He caught a couple of fades against an FCS team, at least 1 Of which should have been offensive PI. He has never played like a beast.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
He caught a couple of fades against an FCS team, at least 1 Of which should have been offensive PI. He has never played like a beast.

You talking about the TD throw? Yeah, very underthrown ball.

He did have a nice game against Temple before the injury.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
You talking about the TD throw? Yeah, very underthrown ball.

He did have a nice game against Temple before the injury.
Yea, Citadel. I just watched the replay, push off wasn’t as bad as I remember it on game day. He made a nice adjustment on a terrible throw, pushed a bit but the db wasn’t looking for the ball at all.

I don’t remember much of temple games other Than that terrible goal line fumble. I must have blacked most of last year out.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Carter was a big disappointment for me as well; maybe he can turn a corner this year.
I wouldn't say he was a disappointment, we just couldn't get the ball out to him or the other receivers. Carter and Sanders actually did pretty well when the ball was thrown their way, I thought. That was overshadowed by Brown running deep most of the time and lots of inconsistencies blocking up front. I think we have a bunch of good WRs, possibly 5 that could play any down: AB, Camp, Ezzard, Carter, Sanders, and I'm probably forgetting someone. Hopefully we can make big improvements on the OL.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Who had that nice one handed snag in the corner of the end zone against UVA? I think it was against them. The season was a giant L-blur.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO with the exception of Brown the WRs we have haven't really shown much of anything to be overly excited about. Last year, in contrast to Mason who put up solid numbers by great individual effort in spite of the problems around him, it felt like the WR group did little to help alleviate the pressure on the OL and QB. Next year we can hope that Ezzard and Brown can make a good one two combination and privide that, and that guys like Sanders/Camp/Carter can be serviceable 3rd and 4th options, but that is still a high reliance on a lot of guys who haven't proven a whole lot, especially since there is a good chance that the OL and QB still have their own issues even if they aren't as severe as last year.

Whow knows, maybe on of the freshmen coming in will step up and make an impact similar to Brown last year though.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
IMO with the exception of Brown the WRs we have haven't really shown much of anything to be overly excited about. Last year, in contrast to Mason who put up solid numbers by great individual effort in spite of the problems around him, it felt like the WR group did little to help alleviate the pressure on the OL and QB. Next year we can hope that Ezzard and Brown can make a good one two combination and privide that, and that guys like Sanders/Camp/Carter can be serviceable 3rd and 4th options, but that is still a high reliance on a lot of guys who haven't proven a whole lot, especially since there is a good chance that the OL and QB still have their own issues even if they aren't as severe as last year.

Whow knows, maybe on of the freshmen coming in will step up and make an impact similar to Brown last year though.

I think it's fair to say that much of my optimism about the WR group is based on perceived potential and not actual college level production. Perhaps the best way to describe how I feel is cautious optimism based largely on potential (especially the potential of the incoming guys and Ezzard along with Brown).

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think at WR we have a lot that have pretty similar skillset, more reliant on physicality. Brown of course is different, but a slot guy. Showed really impressive receiver skills to complement his speed. The TE we have can play a little outside, too. I'm really excited to see us with a personnel package including Gibbs, Camp, 1-2 TE. You could do some serious smashmouth or go empty set and see some silly mismatches as a result. Just need the OL and QB to do their part...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I'm not as sold on Brown as other folks. He had 2 catches for 7 yards-total- against UGa and VT. Now, this is not all his fault. But it points out that he isn't big enough to out jump and out muscle DBs very often, which is important in the intermediate passing game. He depends on out running a DB, which is harder to do against quality teams. Brown will be more effective if we have 2 or 3 other guys that teams have to respect, and we can hopefully get him matched up on a safety from the slot that he can outrun. To go 4 wide we need better pass blocking, which hopefully we will see.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as sold on Brown as other folks. He had 2 catches for 7 yards-total- against UGa and VT. Now, this is not all his fault. But it points out that he isn't big enough to out jump and out muscle DBs very often, which is important in the intermediate passing game. He depends on out running a DB, which is harder to do against quality teams. Brown will be more effective if we have 2 or 3 other guys that teams have to respect, and we can hopefully get him matched up on a safety from the slot that he can outrun. To go 4 wide we need better pass blocking, which hopefully we will see.

I'm not by any means a football guru. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I think the role for Brown isn't that guy in the short-intermediate passing game that you expect to go up and out jump or out muscle a DB. In that area of the passing game that small, speedy slot guy, I would imagine, is the guy you want to get the ball to on the run or over the top or as the guy who is pulling enough of the DBs deep that it opens up the intermediate and short stuff for those bigger, taller receivers. Does that make sense? That's a real question meant as a sanity check on my logic. Thoughts from some folks who actually are knowledgeable about those things?