Reasons why our defense is gonna be great this year

thwgjacket

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt our defense will be great this year. The good news, though, is that it won't have to be. All we've ever needed from our defense is competence. The offense gives them enough advantages, and it's my belief that we are finally in a place to use them this year. Just be undefeated in games in which we score 30 points and I think we'll all be happy in January.
I think some of you misread the title of this thread. Reasons why our D will be great this year.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
V I C T O R
A L E X A N D E R
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439378917.710850.jpg

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our D was 50th in points per game. So actually above average. We can talk about yards per play and all that but the only thing that matters at the end of a game is how many points the other team scored. We gave up less points per game than FSU, Notre Dame, and Auburn did. Interesting.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game

Disagree, our offense limits possessions in a game so points per drive is probably the best indicator.

If our defense is great this year, it would be due to our improved d-line. I think that's overly optimistic as we had really good luck with injuries on both lines and at some point we'll be talking backups this season. We'll be slightly improved, but not great by any stretch.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Other reasons include:
These guys being stronger and better at their craft than last year:
PJ Davis
DJ White
Chris Milton
Jamal Golden
Pat Gamble
Keshun Freeman
Demon Smith
Rod Chungong
Tyler Marcordes

LOT of reasons for optimism when you look at that list. And, there's at least one guy missing from that list ...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Every good D is able to rush the QB. I can't think of an exception to that honestly. If you can rush the QB with 4...then do so...FSU could in their heyday. If you can't, you blitz and stunt till you can. If you can get pressure and limit big plays, you've about found defensive nirvana. Throw in an ability to create turnovers too boot...

We have to generate pressure this year. The number of guys needed to accomish this will dictate our success.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me, you do what works. Sometimes bend-don't-break forces the opposing offense to be perfect over a long drive, something that's hard to do, more opportunities for a fatal mistake. Maybe that's why we were so good in turnover margin. Also, long slow drives makes them play in the redzone where an offense has to be even more perfect to score because the field is shrunken down.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Our D was 50th in points per game. So actually above average. We can talk about yards per play and all that but the only thing that matters at the end of a game is how many points the other team scored. We gave up less points per game than FSU, Notre Dame, and Auburn did. Interesting.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game
It's seems to have been the formula last year ...hold the ball on offense to max out time of possession applying pressure on the opposition to be productive...combined with a bend don't break defence forcing the opposition to be disciplined (tough for 4 and 5 stars to do) that minimally burns clock, again applying pressure on the opposing offense...also making them vulnerable to forcing the issue yielding turn overs....if it ain't broke don't fix it....

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Found this, figured you guys would like to take a look.

Check out around 2:20 on Golden's pick 6 against Clemson...you see the receiver who was targeted on the screen trailing behind Golden until Adam Gotsis chases him down and lines him up then just kind of buzzes him. It was damn impressive seeing how fast he was, and it sent a message to him without risking a penalty. I'm really interested to see our starting DTs NFL combine stats. Those two are both pretty amazing athletes with good size.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll just copy my post from a different thread:

"The only thing is, in 2013 when we weren't struggling with D-Line depth issues, we were 11th against the run. The D was also 31st overall and 29th in pnts against. I think last year, people don't consider how much difficulty the staff had with all of the player attrition on that side of the ball. I am confident this year's D will be much closer to the 2013 team. If it is, my goodness, watch out this team will be nasty!"