1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Reasons To Remain Optimistic After Jackets Lay An Egg

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by CuseJacket, Dec 7, 2019.

1. GT11

GT11 GT Athlete

Injuries, transfer elegibilty, trends? Really? Teams can’t miss 2 of their best 3 and perform at their best. That’s not an excuse. That’s a fact!

2. gte447f

gte447f Helluva Engineer

What about Banks? Until recently he seemed widely considered by the fan base as being our #1 or #2 most critical pieces (i.e. best players) along with Jose. You seem to be putting him outside our top 3, since Devoe obviously has to be in the top 3 as the team and ACC leading scorer. I have seen some suggestions on the board the last couple of games suggesting Banks should back up Moses. Banks is the nation's leading shot blocker and has multiple 20 point games and double-double games already this season. However, he missed 2 starts in a row for what Pastner called an internal matter, and his minutes and stats seem to be down across the board in the last couple of games. Can we expect him to get back on track at his early season level?

Tech93 likes this.
  3. GT11

GT11 GT Athlete

Moses’s head is out of it. Sometimes he acts like he’s in another world

gtpi, ChasonBaller and Tech93 like this.
  4. gte447f

gte447f Helluva Engineer

Moses or James? My question was about James Banks.

5. GT11

GT11 GT Athlete

Not sure what’s happening with him. He is struggling

6. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

To be fair, James has to decide how badly he wants to take the next step consistently to create future opportunities for himself.

It's all there for him to take, which would result in positive results for the team as a whole. He's worked hard to prepare himself. He needs to go take it.

ChasonBaller, kg01 and GT11 like this.
  7. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Odd set of circumstances. I’m at work yesterday & can’t believe the ever increasing deficit. Co-worker tells me “Well looks like GT gave up on having a football team so looks like you’ll just focus on basketball for now on”.

8. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

I hope you gave your co-worker one-a these ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know your ascot game is on point so I'm thinking it was the latter.

9. LibertyTurns

Yeah it was definitely the bottom one. That was one of those true WTF moments. Now to be fair that individual is not alone. There’s a sizable contingent that thinks we’ve relegated ourselves to the world of Wake and Dook. Much like the mutt that gets the 5 star that really isn’t they think we’ll get 4 stars, but only the 4 stars nobody else wants because their coaches waved off. I’m not buying that, but I am skeptical we can get the difference makers in here at the numbers we need to be successful. QB will be the most glaring weakness because we have zero track record going back to the beginning of time in QB development. Lil’ Joe being the exception but he never found himself off the pine in the NFL.

10. THWG16

THWG16 Helluva Engineer

Just saying we’ve bad for a long time

TaxJacket likes this.
  11. Bogey404

Bogey404 Helluva Engineer

Your coworker knows nothing about the direction we are headed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

12. glandon1960

glandon1960 Ramblin' Wreck

I am of the opinion that every team will play so well in a couple games each season they will beat virtually anyone. I also believe every team will play so bad in a couple games that they will lose to virtually anyone. We see that every season ... sometimes a 'really good team' has one of those 'lay an egg games' but the talent difference or other teams performance is such they can't pull out the YW. The ones you live for are when both teams play one of those games where they can both beat virtually anyone at the same time.

Examples - GT being up on FSU by about 30 Pastner's first year (no one thought FSU could play that bad), GT up about 30 on Wake a couple years ago at home, etc.

GT laid an egg Saturday - no way around it. I was there, until the last few seconds, and it is the most frustrated I have been in a while. The game plan to attack the Syracuse zone was fine - the execution when players got the ball at the high post was really poor (mostly too slow and indecisive on what to do - which allowed Syracuse time to react/recover). One thing Jose did well vs. Syracuse last year was receive the ball at the high post and make quick decisions.

Defensive intensity was not there, but has been the other games so unless I see this again, still optimistic this will be the best team GT has had in a long time.

2ndgenjacket, MiracleWhips and GT11 like this.
  13. LibertyTurns

No he doesn’t but he not much different from most other non-GT fans. GT was a tough team to play and now not so much. The future is dependent on our current recruiting getting inked and developing as expected. We’re going to need to patient. Meanwhile college football marches along and the duration of time it takes for us to have a competitive team again is going to establish our new reputation. Right now if you’re not watching GT you’re thinking WTF is going on over there and your assumption is probably not a good one.

14. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

We had 5 winning seasons in the last 10. The 13 years before that were ALL winning seasons. The decline is sad to see. Hoping CGC can get us back to consistent winning seasons.

15. LibertyTurns

We had 3 losing seasons in the last 11. Maybe we were watching different teams play?

16. cyclejacket

cyclejacket Helluva Engineer

A non-winning season is not always a losing season.

17. LibertyTurns

7 of 11 were winning seasons. one was 7-7

18. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I'll be interested to see how we respond when we play Syracuse at the Carrier Dome this winter.

19. cyclejacket

cyclejacket Helluva Engineer

NM wrong sport

20. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

7 of 11 were winning seasons. one was 7-7

2010: 6-7
    2015: 3-9
    2017: 5-6
    2019: 3-9

I goofed and had one of our amazing 7-6 seasons flipped as 6-7

so 5 winning seasons, one .500 season and 4 losing seasons. Still a BIG step down from the previous 13 years.

Our average record over that decade is 6.6 - 6.2