Really good after practice report today

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Reporter "FSU offense hasn't turned the ball over this season."

CPJ ""They're due."

Priceless!!
Wasn't that great?!

I also liked it when they asked about the FSU football budget of $33 million vs. Ga Tech football budget of $19 million. The question was essentially, "How do you close the competitive gap between a program with assets like that and yours?" CPJ says, "I guess you'd have to go ask the administration."

Then, he gave a longer and more thoughtful answer. But, funny moment.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Loved listening, I actually believe PJ ran this press conference and didn't just answer questions. Great review of what's up!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
This was one of the longest post-practice media gaggles PJ has done. Good banter back and forth, some good questions and a lot of honesty from PJ. He still sounds upbeat, even with five straight Ls.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Though 5 losses is nothing to be excited about, you are seeing progress each week and the players getting better, at least on O. Like coach said, excited to have the opportunity to play FSu. I am excited to see how we do!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with all above. For a man who must be feeling deeply wounded these days, his cool under fire is amazing. He comes across as totally honest about how he sees things. No finger pointing, or at least not much. Just calm acceptance of what has transpired, very little looking back at what you cant't change anyway, just what do we do moving forward. Lessons for me and all of us from our coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ken brought up FSU's use of a device that uses GPS to monitor individual performance metrics when players are training. We often wonder why GT is not on the cutting edge of technological innovation in our training. Just look at the cost and you can stop wondering:

Still, there were some immediate concerns. The GPS monitors aren't cheap. Florida State began with 30, which Catapult rented to the team for about $25,000 per year, according to the school's records. In the wake of the Seminoles' national title in January, the team has expanded its use to 95 monitors beginning this spring.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-use-gps-technology-win-national-championship
We don't sniff the football budget of FSU.

For me, it's just another reason to be proud of "who we are". We're not a factory with endless resources. We're a school with a football team that wins a good bit of the time in spite of that fact. We're like that guy in Monte Python who keeps fighting even though he's had both arms chopped off.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't believe that there is nothing between a $99 fitbit and that $25,000 per year rental thingie that wouldn't give coaches at least SOME useful information. Sounds like a good project for an enterprising Tech student.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't believe that there is nothing between a $99 fitbit and that $25,000 per year rental thingie that wouldn't give coaches at least SOME useful information. Sounds like a good project for an enterprising Tech student.

There's a big difference between a fitbit and a GPS device, furthermore, I would assume the GPS data has to be very precise, as all of the activity is taking place on a football field. Suunto and Garmin make watches with GPS beginning at $400; since the location data will need to be measured to an accuracy of at least a couple of feet or less (I assume), I would think the device would have to be comparable to the higher end devices, call it conservatively $600.

Since $25k figure was for 30 devices, you're left with about $15k for a receiver hardware, database server and custom software that will collect, analyse and compile the collected data into something that is useful. That's not an outrageous figure. Not sure it can be done for much less, unless it become a commoditized item.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
wow. I remember when the game was that...a game. I realize Tech fans are most likely to be "techies" and enjoy this type of ability to see into and tweak a player's performance and so forth and that college football is big business, but all of this makes me long for the days when football was just plain FUN!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I remember before the Clemson game in 2011 (also homecoming against a top 10 team), Johnson was telling everyone not to bury them just yet. Now, the circumstances then were different, and I tend to think that you can't beat up on kids all the time and maybe he's adjusting his messaging, but I always wonder when I see him this loose if he thinks he knows something.

noodles

Georgia Tech Fan
Wish I had thought about this for senior design..........

I was back at Tech doing some recruiting. One of the students mentioned a school class/project with plans on using activity tracking devices with the cross country team. There is no reason why we can't do it with the football team as well.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
wow. I remember when the game was that...a game. I realize Tech fans are most likely to be "techies" and enjoy this type of ability to see into and tweak a player's performance and so forth and that college football is big business, but all of this makes me long for the days when football was just plain FUN!
Those days never existed, except in mythology.

Bear Bryant wasn't "trying out" 150 guys a year out of the goodness of his heart.