Re-Watched some old wins on YouTube....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I generally dislike NFL footballl...rarely if ever watch it. And Gailey was an NFL coach. Drove me nuts.
Yep. Play not to lose, which can create mediocre results unless you completely outclass your opponent. Hence our lopsided wins over poor opponents and our inexplicable losses to teams we should have beaten.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
The 2004 and 05 teams blew several winnable games. Still, they led up to 2006, which was a good season, but still blew several winnable games. That was the Chan Gailey legacy: never a losing season, never a great season, never beat UGA.
The 2006 Georgia game still gets in my craw. In the second half, whenever we handed off to Choice, he was darn near unstoppable. But we kept throwing it. I think we would have won if we'd given Choice the ball more. Choice had 23 carries for 146 yards, and could have easily carried it 30+ times if we'd let him. Ball was 6-22 for 42 yards passing and 2 interceptions. Why did we keep throwing it?

That team should've defeated Georgia, and Gailey mismanaged the offense, as he often did.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
2009 FSU was awesome. We had two one-play TD drives, and one two-play TD drive. And the only drives where we didn't score were when we fumbled. FSU couldn't stop Josh, Dwyer, BeBe, etc.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Or was it the incomparable Patrick Nix who managed to ruin our offense?
I believe it was Nix. 2005… final drive… ran the ball all the way inside their 10. First and goal Ball hits the DB right in the numbers. Game over.

2005 NCSU we have not one but two 90+ yard drives. Inside the 5 to win. Pass to CJ, too high (how do you do that?), he tips the ball and INT. Game over.

Football, they say, is a game of inches.

Don’t get me started on 2006 UGA.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How many of y’all would be happy with the 7-5 season right about now?
I would because I think we will win about 5 or 6 but that is just me. With the way the portal changes rosters it is hard to make assumptions about how Tech's opponents will perform. Beyond Miami, UGA, and UNC being good and UVA being less than formidable, I really don't know,