Razor thin line...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We came close on the score but realistically we had no real offense in the 2nd half as the stats show and we were lucky on that KO return,
-we are decent team but with obvious STs weaknesses ,a questionable pass game and if injuries hit very thin at many positions --should be 4-1 but are not ,look for more of same
I would argue that we do not have special teams weakness, but rather kicking weakness.

I would say that our punt game is a strength.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
At this point the smart money would have you going 6 and 5 with the UVA game being a close one.

I think you will handle UVA and Virginia Tech may be a close one.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope the opposing
We are 2 completed passes from being undefeated. One to Stewart on Saturday and in the Tenn game driving late TQ overshot a wide open Qua for a td and the win! It's a small margin but I love this team and the fight it has!
I like your handle. Surely you are a tech fan from south ga ? . I had a client from texas named "dub" who was a character.

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am from south/central ga but now I live in rammer bammer territory and these people are nuts about bammer football.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree...that's what is special about GT football under CPJ - the TEAM has to play well to win, not one or two players. It's exciting because we aren't always the fastest or the biggest or the most talented, but for the most part, we are in every game. Heart matters. And unfortunately, sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. (don't get me wrong, though, I'm furious about the D on the screen passes, as I am every game)

I'm angry and heartbroken over the loss because victory was in our grasp. I had told some friends of mine that I don't mind losing as long as we don't get blown out, but the truth is, I always mind losing! It's just a different feeling when you "almost" won than if you get blown out. And as angry as I am, I'll take this feeling any day over getting blown out.

I hope our team bounces back and gets fired up for our upcoming really tough schedule. Attitude can make or break the season. I believe they can overcome this!

Am I pissed? Sure. I mean, Richt gets the sky to open up when he needs to stop our O, and a perfect alignment of bounce to win the game? I don't think that God cares about Football, but I might be convinced somebody sold their soul to Satan here.

On the other hand, 'almost' feels just fine to me. Shamire is still getting a CmpE degree, and this pleases me. We continue to frighten teams with talent driven schemes with a discipline and cooperation driven scheme. That pleases me. The overall trend continues upward, and I have plenty going in GT football to keep me patient.

Seriously, the only major question in my mind is OL development in the coming years. Otherwise we have a team filled with not only good players but reliable leaders, and we seem to produce them at a fast pace. D continues to improve. Recruiting continues to improve. If the trends result in incremental improvements on offense and a top 25% D, I think we're consistent features in the nightmares of Alabama fans. I think that can be in the next 5 years of the program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that we do not have special teams weakness, but rather kicking weakness.

I would say that our punt game is a strength.

I think our kick/punt return defense is a little lacking. Lots of long returns on kickoffs and punts (when Harvin doesn't force them to fair kick).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am from south/central ga but now I live in rammer bammer territory and these people are nuts about bammer football.
I be got same thing in west end of florida panhandle. The big A runs the show with a few auburn and fsu/fl a supporters.
What I do with all the A fans I is I ask them too join the wild ride of being a gt fan as their second favorite team.

I say to them being an Ala fan is like rooting for a sure thing so help me root for gt.

I promise to root for Ala especially when they play the dawgs whom they loathe. That gets um every time

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
between the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. How much better was the ‘14 team or last year’s squad? How much worse was the ‘15 team? Not a whole lot if you ask me. Each of those seasons had games that came down to single plays that either went our way or did not.

Well, look on the bright side, at least we’re storing up some serious karma.

The biggest difference is that 2014 had play makers on the perimeter. The kind of guys that other teams players point to and know that a moment's indecision or lack of focus and its 6 points quicker than you can say "Smelter". The combination of Smelter and Waller with JT5 utter, total confidence in their ability to go up and get the ball is a defensive back's nightmare. Also, 2014 had the best perimeter blocking of the Johnson era. Combined with the combo of Laskey and Davis it was very difficult to come up with ways to slow them down. Now, you just bring the safeties up and shoot the gaps to get penetration to mess up the mesh and LaQuon's timing and you have the formula to wreck a triple option.

I don't know about 2015, I have permanently erased it from my memory. Compared to 2016, there would indeed not be a whole lot of difference between the two teams. I think we are noticeably better on defense this year but that is negated by special teams struggles and some inconsistency on offense. Depth this year is really spotty at some positions but that is something that is a Tech constant most years.

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I be got same thing in west end of florida panhandle. The big A runs the show with a few auburn and fsu/fl a supporters.
What I do with all the A fans I is I ask them too join the wild ride of being a gt fan as their second favorite team.

I say to them being an Ala fan is like rooting for a sure thing so help me root for gt.

I promise to root for Ala especially when they play the dawgs whom they loathe. That gets um every time

I have gotten some on board already by doing that! They hate our offense and want no part in playing us. Lots of respect for the Gt program here!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The biggest difference is that 2014 had play makers on the perimeter. The kind of guys that other teams players point to and know that a moment's indecision or lack of focus and its 6 points quicker than you can say "Smelter". The combination of Smelter and Waller with JT5 utter, total confidence in their ability to go up and get the ball is a defensive back's nightmare. Also, 2014 had the best perimeter blocking of the Johnson era. Combined with the combo of Laskey and Davis it was very difficult to come up with ways to slow them down. Now, you just bring the safeties up and shoot the gaps to get penetration to mess up the mesh and LaQuon's timing and you have the formula to wreck a triple option.

I don't know about 2015, I have permanently erased it from my memory. Compared to 2016, there would indeed not be a whole lot of difference between the two teams. I think we are noticeably better on defense this year but that is negated by special teams struggles and some inconsistency on offense. Depth this year is really spotty at some positions but that is something that is a Tech constant most years.

Days not Davis. You can't trust TV announcers who so often said Davis.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Hard to tell. All I know is that I can't take watching another Tech game like the Tennessee or Miami game again this season. I think I'm temporarily retiring as a Tech fan for the sake of my mental health until November 25.