Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Average

Votes: 63 55.8%
  • Excells

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just in case the Strength Coach is on here. This guy could help ;).
Father s are suspected of being partial.
In this case it's also true, but in MB s case he is spot on.
I got to witness Will B give his all for gt as a starting ol for 4 years . Got his business degree in 4 years but fell in love w strength training and chose that path.
For 3 years I saw him at post game tailgates. Because we had long term vacancies all along the right side Will was asked to get big, then thin, then big, then thin. In his sr year he got Sewaked to the and bench like others.
Will still had a dream of showing out at proday and getting a nfl shot. He went to ga state and helped and worked w the former gt strength coach who was hired there. Will bulked back up and did great at pro day - bench p was better than most at combine. Imo, if he had redshirted and played left guard his whole career he would have had a great chance.

This guy knows first hand how to shape a player

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Father s are suspected of being partial.
In this case it's also true, but in MB s case he is spot on.
I got to witness Will B give his all for gt as a starting ol for 4 years . Got his business degree in 4 years but fell in love w strength training and chose that path.
For 3 years I saw him at post game tailgates. Because we had long term vacancies all along the right side Will was asked to get big, then thin, then big, then thin. In his sr year he got Sewaked to the and bench like others.
Will still had a dream of showing out at proday and getting a nfl shot. He went to ga state and helped and worked w the former gt strength coach who was hired there. Will bulked back up and did great at pro day - bench p was better than most at combine. Imo, if he had redshirted and played left guard his whole career he would have had a great chance.

This guy knows first hand how to shape a player
We deff had a ton of fun hanging out in the RV lot :) Will would have been a really good center. Might as well, since he played every other position. Many times in the same game, sometime in the same drive... That O was not easy. Lots of rules / calls as the ball snapped. I have no ideal how he did what he did. I had a hard time playing one position in college.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what the overall opinion of the GT fanbase was/is of Coach Lew. He seems to be a highly motivational speaker and strength coach with a big emphasis on individuals giving 110% and then some more. He maintains a pretty active role in social media and is active as a motivational speaker and has hardware for his accomplishments within his field which enhances his resume. Overall it seems the conditioning and strength of the team as a whole has improved. I wish we had access to hard data gains by position and individuals since his arrival that we could see gains/loss by position group etc. Lew is highly motivating to listen to and I enjoy reading his posts on Twitter, I would like to see the data to see the evidence of gains behind it. I imagine they’re there as well. I know from time to time the publish the bench reps 220+lbs (or whatever) it is that they judge eligible athletes who have declared for the draft to determine their strength status. I know there have been a significant increase in number of players who have drastically increased the overall number of reps for the bench press measurement. #Thoughts?
Beats me. The only people qualified to do the rating are the players and I guess Coach Collins. Chan had a guy that looked like he trained on twinkies. Kind of short for the position, pudgy looking, but damn when the lights came on he was all over the place making tackles and sacks. I think he played defensive end and his name was Guyton. Outstanding player for the Jackets. He had wonderful balance and just would not stay blocked. AND he did not know the meaning of the word quit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gary Guyton was a LB
Beats me. The only people qualified to do the rating are the players and I guess Coach Collins. Chan had a guy that looked like he trained on twinkies. Kind of short for the position, pudgy looking, but damn when the lights came on he was all over the place making tackles and sacks. I think he played defensive end and his name was Guyton. Outstanding player for the Jackets. He had wonderful balance and just would not stay blocked. AND he did not know the meaning of the word quit.
Gary Guyton was a linebacker. He was fast as hell (sub 4.5 40), and could lay wood like nobody's business. Had one of the most vicious blind-side blocks I've ever seen in my life.

ScGold

Banned
Gary Guyton was a LB

Gary Guyton was a linebacker. He was fast as hell (sub 4.5 40), and could lay wood like nobody's business. Had one of the most vicious blind-side blocks I've ever seen in my life.
He is a great example of a young man preserving. He was good in college, but didn't expect the pro career he had.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Gary Guyton was a LB

Two quick stories about Guyton.
One, there was a big Georgia booster at his signing with Tech. Why? Because that guy was the lifeguard at the rec pool one day and pulled Gary off the bottom of the pool. Saved his life.
Two, and this is one of the great all time examples of sportsmanship. Gary's last game in high school, playing Northside-Warner Robins in the state playoffs, getting their teeth kicked in. Northside students know Guyton is a big time prospect and start chanting his name. The next three plays - Gary comes up with a TFL, a sack and knocks down a pass. Northside students applauded him after that.
Late in the game, Northside puts in their human victory cigar, a kid with no legs. Series of plays is over, kid starts going back to his own sidelines. Gary and his head coach's son, his fellow linebacker, run over to the kid. They each grab a hand.
They pick him up and carry him back to his sidelines.
It's 40-0, they're losing and they have the wherewithal to do that.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
One more Guyton story.
Homecoming game his senior year - he scored a TD on offense, a TD on defense and a TD on special teams.
Oh, and he was named homecoming king at halftime.

I knew he'd be a good pro player. He had the length, the quickness and the heart.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Gary Guyton was a LB

Yep. You are right. Did not look like Tarzan...but he sure as hell did not play like Jane. Fine football player among quite a few others for Chan. Phillip Wheeler was another fine linebacker along with Albany's own Daryl Smith.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yep. You are right. Did not look like Tarzan...but he sure as hell did not play like Jane. Fine football player among quite a few others for Chan. Phillip Wheeler was another fine linebacker along with Albany's own Daryl Smith.
We had a gaggle of linebackers we put in the NFL in that timeframe. Key Fox, Gerris Wilkerson, Nick Rogers, plus the 3 you mentioned above.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what the overall opinion of the GT fanbase was/is of Coach Lew. He seems to be a highly motivational speaker and strength coach with a big emphasis on individuals giving 110% and then some more. He maintains a pretty active role in social media and is active as a motivational speaker and has hardware for his accomplishments within his field which enhances his resume. Overall it seems the conditioning and strength of the team as a whole has improved. I wish we had access to hard data gains by position and individuals since his arrival that we could see gains/loss by position group etc. Lew is highly motivating to listen to and I enjoy reading his posts on Twitter, I would like to see the data to see the evidence of gains behind it. I imagine they’re there as well. I know from time to time the publish the bench reps 220+lbs (or whatever) it is that they judge eligible athletes who have declared for the draft to determine their strength status. I know there have been a significant increase in number of players who have drastically increased the overall number of reps for the bench press measurement. #Thoughts?
About running faster tell the guys who need to run faster to pick his feet up as fast as he can then when a foot hits back on the ground get it back up as fast as you can! When he running again hollow at him to pick up !!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Gary Guyton was a LB

Ah. Yes, like this:

Ok, we ended up losing the game (I still don't know how). But that qualifies as one of the best licks in recent Tech history. Or:

This is the highlight from our 2006 game with VT. Guyton's fumble pick-up for 6 is at the 2:22 mark. I went crazy when I saw that at the pub!
He was one of my favorite players, obviously.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think there is any question that our OL played soft. I think the strength and conditioning staff bears some responsibility. Besides the veteran DB group, the OL progression (or lack thereof) has been the biggest disappointment over the last three years. We have to play tougher this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there is any question that our OL played soft. I think the strength and conditioning staff bears some responsibility. Besides the veteran DB group, the OL progression (or lack thereof) has been the biggest disappointment over the last three years. We have to play tougher this year.
I'm not an OL guy, so I don't know for sure, but it seemed to me that our guys had slow feet and defenders were by them before they were set to block. I saw this with Ryan a lot.