Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Average

Votes: 63 55.8%
  • Excells

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We seemed soft at many times, especially at the beginning of games, and I could not figure out why. I think Carella did what his job was pretty well, but obviously something else was missing.
yep, if you look at season stats we got KILLED in the 1st half of games especially--I guess the other teams got "bored" in the 2nd half
-the first game of season was a perfect example of not being ready, btw--how are you NOT ready for the FIRST game of season? --in fact that might be a bigger indictment of this coach than the last 2 blowouts

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The guys all seem to be working hard. Thru hard work Curry totally changed fronm a safety to a mlb. His parents said he had to meet a set body fat and weight.

In past non starters played fewer downs. Pelton played the dl starters a lot. Perhaps the overall ATL ( every body has a shot at seeing the field based on off field effort.) was a change that relied on less than relable metrics. Remember the first practices that were super fast paced, lots of energy AND and every body got reps even the scout team. Cgc spoke about this as an ""obvious "good thing.

Only reference that i see as possibly different is are we over using ""specialized"" leg
equipment . At sons high school we football player dads would watch field drills to see who was going to ball out on field. The hs (texas hall of fame) coach loved to see his starters and back ups drag tires at full speed for short , medium and long distance. NO ONE ON JV was Allowed to pull the varsity tires Each guy ran under his own balance and pace w the biggest tires he could pull. DL Hutchinson - all american mich; dan neil og all american texas all pro denver; sam adams dl all american TAM all pro; etc. This got guys being very macho.
I met a summer camp speaker from Northwestern football team. He told the campers they had stayed on campus over summer, lifted , and the ran sprints pulling auto engines. Great speaker and that next year NW was champs iirc.
Now
Mockers start here.

I am open to anything that causes the ol to get push, dl to keep legs driving till find a weak point.

Seeing safeties acting all bowed up is so stupid.

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
yep, if you look at season stats we got KILLED in the 1st half of games especially--I guess the other teams got "bored" in the 2nd half
-the first game of season was a perfect example of not being ready, btw--how are you NOT ready for the FIRST game of season? --in fact that might be a bigger indictment of this coach than the last 2 blowouts
I would love to live near enough to watch some practices- like I used to do as a student when Carson was the HC. I often wonder exactly how CGC runs his practice time. With Carson, there was little wasted time, all business. I remember being impressed with the amount of one on one teaching time the coaches were doing. Jerry Glanville was on that staff- lots of getting after players. Carson designed and implemented the "cover 2 " defensive scheme and also the "Steel Curtain " for the Steelers. Great coach , probably should be in the HOF. Now he was a true "defensive HC"............Oh well, I digress.:buzz::smuggrin:

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not in a position to weigh in with expertise. He has a great reputation. The athletes seem to be bought in and making gains. We don’t get injured more than normal; in fact, we took a few injured transfers who probably skew our numbers the wrong way.

In games, I’ve seen read errors and technique errors—errors that were visible to me. I’ve seen D linemen not staying low. I’ve seen offensive linemen miss their assignments or be indecisive. You’d have to be physically amazing to overcome some of the errors I’ve noticed. Some of the video clips have been posted to this forum.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I’m not in a position to weigh in with expertise. He has a great reputation. The athletes seem to be bought in and making gains. We don’t get injured more than normal; in fact, we took a few injured transfers who probably skew our numbers the wrong way.

In games, I’ve seen read errors and technique errors—errors that were visible to me. I’ve seen D linemen not staying low. I’ve seen offensive linemen miss their assignments or be indecisive. You’d have to be physically amazing to overcome some of the errors I’ve noticed. Some of the video clips have been posted to this forum.
See my post above.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
the first game of season was a perfect example of not being ready, btw--how are you NOT ready for the FIRST game of season?
Yep. Even Coach Curry got ready for the first game of the season. Beat Alabama in Birmingham, then lost the next 10 games.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think coach lew has done a great job. the only teams we really looked small and slow against was uga and notre dame. in the past we’ve looked small and slow against half the schedule.

not his fault the players talent wise just aren’t there

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
i think coach lew has done a great job. the only teams we really looked small and slow against was uga and notre dame. in the past we’ve looked small and slow against half the schedule.

You realize we got out-physicaled by NIU right ? Is their talent level better ? I have no idea if Caralla is good or bad - I'm sure he's not a big difference maker either way. We definitely looked slow against almost the entire schedule on defense....

JacketFan137

Banned
You realize we got out-physicaled by NIU right ? Is their talent level better ? I have no idea if Caralla is good or bad - I'm sure he's not a big difference maker either way. We definitely looked slow against almost the entire schedule on defense....
our defense wasn’t slow and i think that the combine numbers will show that. they genuinely did not know where they were supposed to be. guys weren’t getting torched they just weren’t covering people in zone to begin with

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Sooooo what about Clemson, UNC and the other 5 games we were in/won?? Remember only Pitt ND & uga were the only games we were never in a position to win. Also, we lost our starting qb in the 2nd quarter and had no identity on O rest of the game. And to say we were "out-physicaled" by them is covering for a team that has bigger and better athletes but came out flat in front of a half full stadium. That game had a lot of breaks that had to happen for them to win. Compared to where we were prior, Caralla is a massive upgrade. You have to admit that even if you hate CGC. Remember uga players asking if we even lifted weights on social media?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

I remember the comments being made by the television announcers about Duke being more physical us. They were.

JacketFan137

Banned
I remember the comments being made by the television announcers about Duke being more physical us. They were.
i think we were just flat out bad on the o line and d line. it wasn’t really a size and speed issue. just no depth and young guys with poor technique.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've long had doubts about the S&C program. It is true that players are bigger and, perhaps, gym stronger. I don't think that is a clear upgrade, however. We seem to have worked hard on strength and weight and sacrificed speed and flexibility in the process. A good example here would be at our center position. Both players who played there regularly were better OLs, imho, when they were 10 pounds lighter.

This is not - repeat, not - a call for the lean, mean fighting machine OL we had under Paul. We've changed our O scheme and it needs bigger OLs across the board. But that doesn't mean piling on the weight despite the capability of the players to carry it effectively. This is something that calls for more individual attention and more drills in the weight room aimed at combining flexibility and strength. I don't see much evidence of that on the field, to be frank.

The DL is another story. There I think we are trying to make our players into something they aren't. One reason I thought getting rid of Woody was a real bad idea is that his D schemes fit the kind of DL players we could get to come to Tech and stick: smaller, stronger, and quicker. At present we are trying - again, imho - to get players who could work with another scheme to fit into slots they haven't the strength or talent for: i.e. run stuffers. We have a couple fo highly touted recruits coming in who do look like they can handle that role, so this may be a temporary concern. But trying to make up for natural strength and size with gym work is usually very difficult to pull off, especially for DLs. And, again, I see a decrement in speed and flexibility resulting.

Take this for what it is worth; i.e. probably not much. It's speculation based on anecdotal evidence. The end results, however, are undeniable: if our S&C program were better, I think we'd see better results on the field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I've long had doubts about the S&C program. It is true that players are bigger and, perhaps, gym stronger. I don't think that is a clear upgrade, however. We seem to have worked hard on strength and weight and sacrificed speed and flexibility in the process. A good example here would be at our center position. Both players who played there regularly were better OLs, imho, when they were 10 pounds lighter.

This is not - repeat, not - a call for the lean, mean fighting machine OL we had under Paul. We've changed our O scheme and it needs bigger OLs across the board. But that doesn't mean piling on the weight despite the capability of the players to carry it effectively. This is something that calls for more individual attention and more drills in the weight room aimed at combining flexibility and strength. I don't see much evidence of that on the field, to be frank.

The DL is another story. There I think we are trying to make our players into something they aren't. One reason I thought getting rid of Woody was a real bad idea is that his D schemes fit the kind of DL players we could get to come to Tech and stick: smaller, stronger, and quicker. At present we are trying - again, imho - to get players who could work with another scheme to fit into slots they haven't the strength or talent for: i.e. run stuffers. We have a couple fo highly touted recruits coming in who do look like they can handle that role, so this may be a temporary concern. But trying to make up for natural strength and size with gym work is usually very difficult to pull off, especially for DLs. And, again, I see a decrement in speed and flexibility resulting.

Take this for what it is worth; i.e. probably not much. It's speculation based on anecdotal evidence. The end results, however, are undeniable: if our S&C program were better, I think we'd see better results on the field.
THOUGHT I WOULD BUMP this thoughtful post and add a couple of things.

But first let me add we are 3-9 ,3-9,3-9,3-9 .

I wonder if the new coaches will advise the S&C coach to take a little different direction towards flexibility and leg strength.
i watched baylor and was shocked at how long and lean there db were compared to ours.

Attached photo of a football player who played lacrosse.

who is this ? yea he was born with greek god genes

but what about the bench press.jpg

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t enough to fairly know. I mean with eyeball test I would’ve thought we’d get pushed around less the last few years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
THOUGHT I WOULD BUMP this thoughtful post and add a couple of things.

But first let me add we are 3-9 ,3-9,3-9,3-9 .

I wonder if the new coaches will advise the S&C coach to take a little different direction towards flexibility and leg strength.
i watched baylor and was shocked at how long and lean there db were compared to ours.

Attached photo of a football player who played lacrosse.

who is this ? yea he was born with greek god genes

View attachment 12064
That would be Jim Brown. Absolutely the best running back in football history. Look at the legs on him. Btw, the only AA in both football and lacrosse I know of. I used to watch Browns games just to watch him run away from, around, through, and, of course, over opposing players.