Rant regarding Ubereats

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So my wife has been out of town taking care of her very sick mother. Saturday I suffered a knee injury that was/is very painful and restricts my mobility. Sunday i had been to go to the grocery store to get supplies but couldn't. I decided to try Uber Eats for the first time as I use Uber from time to time. So I signed up and ordered the pizza. It was noon and I wanted the pizza to be delivered at 6. Unfortunatly when I placed the order I did not specify later delivery but noticed it on the confirmation page. Being the smart guy I am, I immediately cancelled the order with intent to resubmit a new order. The cancellation was done within 30 seconds (at maximum) from the time of the original. As soon as I got confirmation of the cancellation this fine company notified me that they were going to bill me for the pizza as the local pizzeria had already started the pizza. This was absolute bull%$#@. So I began a chat process in their "customer service/contact us" area of their site. That was a waste of time and their "customer service rep" actually terminated the chat rather than me.

I decided to call the local pizzeria to find out what had transpired. Oddly enough they had received my original and had started the process but had no record of the cancellation (although I did). The person who I spoke with was a pleasant young woman and seemed to be empathetic. She agreed that the pizzeria would in fact make the pizza for 6 PM if I could pick it up. I couldn't but my neighbor volunteered. The woman also told me that the company she worked at was going to eliminate UberEats as a vendor when the contract expited but keep DoorDash and GrubHub. Their experience with uber was also bad and she told me that my story and other similar customer issues were common for people who used UberEats.This was spilling over into people's perception of THEIR business.

At the end of the day I was not out of my pizza or $ but it was incredibly frustrating and one of the most predatory acts that I have ever seen from a company. Not only will I drop UberEats (not a big deal on their part) but I will now begin to use alternatives to Uber. Anyone else have bad experiences with them or was mine a "one off" situation?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think more than half of my meals have been free in the last 6 months because they were delivered so late. Ordering a pizza directly from the source is usually just as easy, probably cheaper, and faster to deliver than dealing with ubereats.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think more than half of my meals have been free in the last 6 months because they were delivered so late. Ordering a pizza directly from the source is usually just as easy, probably cheaper, and faster to deliver than dealing with ubereats.
You are a very patient man my friend. I would rather do without than do business with someone who screws up over half the time. I will refuse to do business with Ubereats after their single, initial screwup. It's not that they screwed up that irks me, it's that they lied about the situation and were indifferent about it. Unfortunately for me my two favorite pizzerias are local joints that do not have delivery service. But I will eat my dog's food before contacting Ubereats again.