Ranking Every Power 5 Job

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Never said the offense wasn't good. We just won't ever get Highly rated in State Talent.

Part of the problem is the sites and rating systems...you trying to tell me Dedrick Mills wasn't one of the top freshman RBs in the country? We get some players who should be rated higher, but lots of times commit early and shun the camps and recruiting circuit. A few other guys from that class have a chance to show out this year too...Gantt, Dolphus, and Camp are going to get their shots this year. I think at least 2 of these guys are future stars. Now were they "highly rated" by the sites? No. Should they have been? Very possibly.
And that was only really looking at offensive skill positions...we've picked up some very good linemen and defenders in state too.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It is really the SEC that runs antiquated offenses. I suspect that is why their QB talent is at an all time low.

If we win with our offense, why does it matter who/where we recruit?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
#39 feels about right.

NC State at #38 is stupid, though. If Clemson can do it, they can too. They're in a way better place now than Clemson was 10-15 years ago.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
#39 feels about right.

NC State at #38 is stupid, though. If Clemson can do it, they can too. They're in a way better place now than Clemson was 10-15 years ago.

Eh I'm not sure about that. Clemson is not the #3 most popular university in a 25 mile radius of their campus. NC State being the #3 team in the Triangle will always hurt them. Clemson is about all there is in that part of South Carolina (other than Greenville, which is pro-Clemson).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We won't see top offensive in state recruits til CPJ retires. It is what it is.

I've seen what CPJ can do without top tier offensive talent...which is hang 300+ rushing yards on teams who consistently recruit in the top 10. Never been worried about offense with CPJ's teams.

If given a choice between elite players on offense or defense, I'd rather have them on defense. CPJ did just that in 2017. I believe we signed 4-5 guys who were rated 4 stars by one of the services. If CPJ can keep doing that, not only will we be playing for ACC championships almost every year, but we'll win our share of them.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
iirc ESPN did this a few years ago and we were like 10-20 spots lower. we were like lowest tier P5 job with Wake, Washington St, Kansas etc

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Part of the problem is the sites and rating systems...you trying to tell me Dedrick Mills wasn't one of the top freshman RBs in the country? We get some players who should be rated higher, but lots of times commit early and shun the camps and recruiting circuit. A few other guys from that class have a chance to show out this year too...Gantt, Dolphus, and Camp are going to get their shots this year. I think at least 2 of these guys are future stars. Now were they "highly rated" by the sites? No. Should they have been? Very possibly.
And that was only really looking at offensive skill positions...we've picked up some very good linemen and defenders in state too.
In another offense Dedrick Mills wouldn't rush for 500 yards. He's a perfect fit for us, which is why we recruited him. For anyone else especially SEC/BIG10 he's 4-5th on the depth chart.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He would start at Kentucky,Arkansas,Vanderbilt.Miss State and South Carolina
Anybody who doesn't think Mills would even break the two-deep elsewhere has been out there in the funny weed field too long. Yes, he would start there and elsewhere. This kid can play some ball but once he gets slotted into "the offense" or "bback" then it is like a B movie: typecasting forever.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The ranking is probably fair, but the reasoning behind why it may be too low is poor. Perhaps it could be a better job (maybe around 30 or so), but to get there would require more than "just a little spread or tempo," the commenter said with a laugh.

This also doesn't even touch the fact that in nine years, we've had two eleven win seasons, and two nine win seasons, with only one disaster. Pretty good, if you ask me.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
In another offense Dedrick Mills wouldn't rush for 500 yards. He's a perfect fit for us, which is why we recruited him. For anyone else especially SEC/BIG10 he's 4-5th on the depth chart.
I don't know of a roster that kid would be 5th string.Cream rises and he might be moved to LB but he blocks so well that he would be a great full back in pass pro.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The ranking is probably fair, but the reasoning behind why it may be too low is poor. Perhaps it could be a better job (maybe around 30 or so), but to get there would require more than "just a little spread or tempo," the commenter said with a laugh.

This also doesn't even touch the fact that in nine years, we've had two eleven win seasons, and two nine win seasons, with only one disaster. Pretty good, if you ask me.
Am I wrong, or is the earth rising? Did I not just read that Johnson ranks in the top five in wins/losses, and I forget who posted "clueless" but it was never more obvious than when the writer brushed past the dull, stody, boring offense -- take your pick, because from another movie line, those are the usual suspects, all ignoring the bombshells this offense unloads almost every game, at least two 95-yard plus drives in the closing minutes with big pass plays and long runs. (My demands are maybe more modest than the writers of this stuff. I think a run of 25-20 yards is a long run. When you can reel off 10 or more a game of more than 10 yards, that's a big play offense. Of course that drive consuming all of the third quarter for Navy in the bowl game is another personal favorite for different reasons. Yep, it is pretty good. I don't think the guys who write this stuff are necessarily bad writers or even biased. They are just lazy as hell. They could look it up, but ...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
#39 feels about right.

NC State doesn't have the alumni base that will hand out $100 handshakes like Clemson does. Take away the cheat factor, and you are correct.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
NC State doesn't have the alumni base that will hand out $100 handshakes like Clemson does. Take away the cheat factor, and you are correct.
I sure would like to see evidence that Clemson hands out $100 handshakes. Even opinions ought have basis in fact. Believing it so doesn't make it so and arguments are cheapened in the doing. NC State's problem seems to be the same problem Maryland had: Dow is the A.D. and there she tended to move quickly and then make bad hires.