Ranking College Football’s Open Head Football Coaching Jobs for 2022-2023

slugboy

Staff member
GT ranks 5th, says Athlon:

We had an AD hired when they wrote an article saying that we didn’t have an AD hired yet. Maybe they’re not doing good research?

Other Factors of Note: In addition to Collins, athletic director Todd Stansbury was fired. How quickly can Georgia Tech find a replacement for Stansbury? And will they be hired before the new coach?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Article was published on Nov. 7th.

Just thought it was interesting to know about the other vacant head football coaching jobs that are out there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Other than switching Neb and WI i'd likely list the currently open jobs in the same order.
You can make an argument for GT above AZ ST, but there are sort of in a tier together and their lists will be different.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
IDK, if I was a coach looking to make a splash and perhaps stepping stone to the next level, Auburn the least desirable. LSU Bama and UGA every year? No thanks. Plus the fan base is irrational with expectations. It's a firing job.

Unless the objective is to get a fat contract and collect when the axe comes, I would stay away from this one.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Unless the objective is to get a fat contract and collect when the axe comes, I would stay away from this one.
I don’t think that is the OBJECTIVE for anyone, but when this is the reality when the primary objective fails, it’s pretty easy to justify taking a shot. That’s the big difference in college football programs right now; several can afford to make high priced mistakes with little repercussion. The rest have to be a lot more discerning ... mistakes can impact the budget significantly for years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing Athlon doesn't point out about the AZ State situation is that there's some upheaval going on with the athletic department. The AD there is also on the hot seat, and there's some disagreement on who actually should head up the search for a new coach...though it seems the AD is taking the lead. There is dysfunction there, and I'm sure it will turn off some good coaches from pursuing it. Dysfunction and not the biggest upside doesn't make for an attractive job. Also, despite our academics, we have a slight advantage in recruiting region and historical recruiting.

My rankings would be:

1. Auburn
2. Wisconsin
3. Nebraska
4. GT
5. ASU
6. Colorado

One thing to keep in mind, is the domino effect. I highly doubt GT is a good enough job at the moment to pull a good coach away from another P5 job. But what happens is if Auburn pulls a coach away from another P5 school (say Kiffin at Ole Miss, or Stoops at Kentucky)? Well, that creates another opening that could take a potential GT candidate off the board. Hopefully Batt gets ahead of the coaching musical chair that will happen after the last week of the season.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
One thing Athlon doesn't point out about the AZ State situation is that there's some upheaval going on with the athletic department. The AD there is also on the hot seat, and there's some disagreement on who actually should head up the search for a new coach...though it seems the AD is taking the lead. There is dysfunction there, and I'm sure it will turn off some good coaches from pursuing it. Dysfunction and not the biggest upside doesn't make for an attractive job. Also, despite our academics, we have a slight advantage in recruiting region and historical recruiting.

My rankings would be:

1. Auburn
2. Wisconsin
3. Nebraska
4. GT
5. ASU
6. Colorado

One thing to keep in mind, is the domino effect. I highly doubt GT is a good enough job at the moment to pull a good coach away from another P5 job. But what happens is if Auburn pulls a coach away from another P5 school (say Kiffin at Ole Miss, or Stoops at Kentucky)? Well, that creates another opening that could take a potential GT candidate off the board. Hopefully Batt gets ahead of the coaching musical chair that will happen after the last week of the season.
Agreed. I think GT is in a unique position right now, in that I don’t think we’re really targeting anybody who is getting a ton of attention for the other open P5 jobs. Everybody on the list besides maybe Colorado is too proud to hire Chadwell. BOB might be of interest to Nebraska as somebody who could just start climbing their way out of the hole they’re in, but probably to not attractive to anybody else. Dell McGee might be of interest to Auburn, but after their fiasco with Harsin I bet they go with somebody much more proven. Garrett Riley and Jeff Lebby seem to have fallen off our boards, but I could definitely see one or both of them going to Colorado and/or ASU. Willie Fritz probably isn’t getting a ton of love.

A few names I could see some of the bigger schools going to battle for would be Deion, Matt Rhule, Luke Fickell, Jeff Traylor, and Mullen.

But other schools poaching existing P5 coaches would put us in a competition.
Another example on top of Auburn would be Wisconsin or Nebraska hiring Leipold from Kansas. I think Kansas would go after Chadwell hard in that scenario.

If Hugh Freeze gets hired by somebody with a vacancy, the Liberty job is open. They pay good money too. Freeze is making $5M there, and they’d probably match that for somebody new to come in.

Some other P5 jobs that may become open within the next couple of weeks: Northwestern, Stanford, Cal, West Virginia, and Indiana.

What I really hope doesn’t happen is that we have what we think is our next coach locked up, and then they get a better offer from somewhere that opened up late and we have to scramble for backup options.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Off the top of my head, it seems like the top coaching jobs ought to be the top two schools in each of the P5 conferences. These would the schools that have a legit shot at the CPF/NC every year.

In the SEC, GA & UGA (with an occasional breakthrough by LSU or someone else).
In the Big 10, Ohio State & Michigan.
In the ACC, Clemson and...who?

"Consistently" is the watchword. FSU or Miami? Pitt or Wake or UNC? Maybe Tech can take a run at claiming that #2 spot in the ACC. And that golden ring ought to be worth reaching for in the eyes of someone who can see the opportunity.