Random question. Why was the GT logo moved from midfield to the 35 yard line in the 2000's-early 2010's?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
As with most teams, our signature GT logo has been at the 50 yardlines in the center of the field.

But in 2002, the GT logo was moved from midfield to the 35 yard lines, across from the ACC logos (which were at the 25.)

In 2013, the GT logo returned to midfield and everything has been normal since.

Why did the change happen though? It just seems so random.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
As with most teams, our signature GT logo has been at the 50 yardlines in the center of the field.

But in 2002, the GT logo was moved from midfield to the 35 yard lines, across from the ACC logos (which were at the 25.)

In 2013, the GT logo returned to midfield and everything has been normal since.

Why did the change happen though? It just seems so random.
I would think that someone with seemingly almost unrestricted access to the Edge building could find out these answers. :)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
2013 was 100 years at Grant Field I think, so maybe it was moved to the middle for that and then just never moved back?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Different surface texture caused a slip

Yeah, if you've ever been on the field and depending on the conditions of the field, you can sometimes see/feel a difference in the painted area and the regular grass. Seem to recall it being on a kickoff return and someone hit the logo and slipped and lost a chance at a TD. What I could never figure out was why they then put 2 logos on the field to give twice the opportunity to slip. Typically Georgia Tech thing to do. Every team in the country more or less has a logo a midfield and we had two at the 30 yard lines or whatever.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
What I could never figure out was why they then put 2 logos on the field to give twice the opportunity to slip.
Yeah I heard the same story but had the same question. Especially since a lot of returns go down the side of the field…?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
... Of course we all know that yellow jackets don't have honeycomb 😉
Not "honeycomb", but in that pattern:
1675964219753.png

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan
Didn't someone trip on the logo on a kickoff return and Gailey got mad and made them move it? Could be wrong, but something like that sticks out in my mind.
Yep, there was a breakaway run right down the middle of the field. GT player hit about the 50yd line and busted to the ground untouched. Next game, the center logo was gone.

My recollection is that it was Jonathan Dwyer on a run from scrimmage, but I could be wrong on the details.