Random question… what made Bill Lewis so bad?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I’m younger than most tech fans and while Collins is likely the worst coach we’ve had, people still refer to Bill Lewis as B*** L****. When I google his career at tech I only see that he was fired for simply losing a lot. He seemed like a decent coach, at least at Georgia as an assistant and as head man at ECU. Is it just he just couldn’t win or was he like Collins and had some extra antics or personality issues? I’m not trying to back him up I just wanna know why he was bad out of curiosity.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m younger than most tech fans and while Collins is likely the worst coach we’ve had, people still refer to Bill Lewis as B*** L****. When I google his career at tech I only see that he was fired for simply losing a lot. He seemed like a decent coach, at least at Georgia as an assistant and as head man at ECU. Is it just he just couldn’t win or was he like Collins and had some extra antics or personality issues? I’m not trying to back him up I just wanna know why he was bad out of curiosity.
I thought it was interesting luginbill was the sideline reporter yesterday. Good story about his tenure under BL

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game in the stands, what was his story?
The coach you asked about brought Luginbill in as the QB for 1994 to replace a QB that the players rallied around.

As to your question about B*** L***** There was a lot of dissention among the players. The QB situation involving Luginbill was part of that. I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that a large group of players went to the GT president's house and basically told him they were not going to play football for B*** L**** anymore the weekend that he resigned. The team was losing. The players didn't trust him. The fans hated him. That is why he "resigned" and why nobody wants to talk about him.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
He took a program high off a national championship and ran it into the ground in a very short period of time.

This^

This was no ordinary new coaching gig. Though the team under Bobby Ross did decline a bit after the NC season, there was still a winning atmosphere, improved recruiting and plenty of talent still on the roster. Bill Lewis came in, and nothing he did worked. Everything got worse and it was borderline CGC worse. There is no doubt those two coaches have been horrible.

Like most of you, I still don't get the rush to extend an unproven coach so quickly (CGC I am talking about). You'd think after Paul Hewitt contract catastrophe, GT ADs and Presidents would be more cautious. Wait till the play and record improve from the prior coach. NEVER extend a new coach even if he just maintains prior coaches record. How many times do we see a coach come in, repeat the prior season record, only to get steadily worse over the next 3 years? VERY often. That means the new coach isn't very good, but took over a team already prepared in his first year, so that even poor coaching couldn't bring them down.

Ugh.

It's not like if we extend we get to keep a coach. They'll still bolt for an SEC school if they're wildly successful, even with a painful buyout required from the coach. The SEC school will pony up to cover that anyway. STOP extending coaches until proven. Don't give out new deals longer than 3 years, add a 4th year mutual option for a sizable raise if you want, but that's it.

slugboy

Staff member
Most of the championship staff left with Ross to go to San Diego.

Bill Lewis brought in his own coaching staff but left the OC from East Carolina to be the new HC at East Carolina. The OC was the reason that Lewis was successful at East Carolina (and he would have been a much better hire than Lewis).

He was sneaky, and his own players didn't trust him (verbatim from one of his players). He took a team just over a year after a national title, with top talent, and he couldn't even make a bowl game. He made lots of coaching errors. He wasn't good with the press or with fans. He actually did play favorites, and brought in Luginbill to replace a very good QB, and lost the locker room (not just for Luginbill, but for lots of reasons).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
BL lost the locker room. It was a pretty ugly period.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary was hired during the off season just in case. It worked. We don’t have an O’Leary.
Just a note: I had a good friend that had some inside info from when B***L*** was at Georgia. He warned me what would happen. I thought it was sour grapes.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
O’Leary was hired during the off season just in case. It worked. We don’t have an O’Leary.
Just a note: I had a good friend that had some inside info from when B***L*** was at Georgia. He warned me what would happen. I thought it was sour grapes.
Maybe Long is our OLeary attempt.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude, come on. You cant just write those words, women and children read this forum!

I'd add that you also need to understand a key context of GT identity related to student-staff relationships. Tech mythology centers the value of getting a square deal and good education for athletes. The etiological myth of Tech being in the ACC (and God's Truth to some [like me]) for example, tells of Bobby Dodd standing up for scholarship athletes against oathbreakers and schemers, and how he was stabbed in the back by the deceiver and coward Bear Bryant.

The way B*** L**** treated the locker room violates this pillar of identity, and thus creates him not just a bad coach and kind of a weasel, but a personification of dualistic evil and an Anti-Tech, if you like.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
The coach you asked about brought Luginbill in as the QB for 1994 to replace a QB that the players rallied around.

As to your question about B*** L***** There was a lot of dissention among the players. The QB situation involving Luginbill was part of that. I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that a large group of players went to the GT president's house and basically told him they were not going to play football for B*** L**** anymore the weekend that he resigned. The team was losing. The players didn't trust him. The fans hated him. That is why he "resigned" and why nobody wants to talk about him.
Resigned in lieu of termination?

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
BL, and many of his staff, did not have the trust of the players. that became evident well before the 94 season. it just took a couple seasons to unravel. players quickly figured out most of the staff didn’t have the Xs and Os knowledge that the Ross staff had. At least some of his assistants were coaching HS before they landed at ECU. Just lack of legit college FB coaching experience. If you looked back at many of the losses, GT was in it thru 2 quarters but would inevitably be out-coached at halftime and qtrs 3 and 4.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought it was interesting luginbill was the sideline reporter yesterday. Good story about his tenure under BL
Luginbill’s dad, Al, is my favorite person. He cast the deciding UPI vote in 1990. Always wonder if there was a connection to recruiting his son.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The best thing about luginbill, he seems to almost always be the sideline reporter for Tech games :ROFLMAO:

Luginbill has always had high praise for GT, and his time at GT. He was just a player caught between a rock and a hard place. He said multiple times on TV that the team he was on was ultra talented, it was off the field problems that it didn't work. GT fans understand what "off the fied problems" meant.

The player Luginbill started over, Donnie Davis, was recruited to play under Ralph Friedgen and Bobby Ross...he was the DeShaun Watson of that era. #1 Dual Threat QB for his class, and an outstanding talent. Bobby Ross commented many times that Davis was more talented than Shawn Jones. Unfortunately for Davis, Ross went to the NFL and took Friedgen with him. Bill Lewis had no clue how to use Davis, and moved him to WR. Davis got to play one season under Friedgen when O'Leary fully took over, and we got a glimpse of what Davis could have been. Davis went on to have an outstanding Arena Football League career.

Honestly, had GT been smart enough to promote O'Leary or Friedgen when Ross left, GT history could have been dramatically different.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? Let me try and s
eak youngin. It's more acceptable to say or write Valdemort at Hogwarts than B*** L***** at Tech.

😇😎