RamblinWreck.com article on spring practice

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
https://ramblinwreck.com/tgw-springing-into-action/

Some highlights
- Jalen Huff went from 185x2 bench to 225x7
- Collins feels “a million percent” confident that the Jackets will get more done sooner than they did last spring
- Collins anticipates Tech utilizing more run-pass-option situations than it did last season.
- this spring will also begin a transition toward greater responsibility for players to make more calls on the field in games, rather than always taking straight orders
- About the spring game - We’re going to give (fans) access, moreso than they’ve ever had on the field, in the huddles – well, we don’t huddle, but in the middle of the action. It’s going to be tremendous.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year the coaches spent a lot of time teaching fundamentals because of the coaching change. There was not as much installation of the offense as you would have normally had. This spring should be much more productive since the foundation is already laid. I expect a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last year the coaches spent a lot of time teaching fundamentals because of the coaching change. There was not as much installation of the offense as you would have normally had. This spring should be much more productive since the foundation is already laid. I expect a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball.

last spring they were teaching them how they wanted them to practice and how to do their drills and chaos practice let alone one x and o. It literally was first part of practice, practicing on how to practice.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There is that much of a difference in how we practice? Like we didn’t practice before. I don’t get what can be sooooo different.

I’m pretty sure our guys tried really hard before as well. You can’t make Jimmy small X into Joe super O no matter how hard you practice.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Definitely from the sounds of things the coaches were looking down the line and not trying to empower the players to take the reigns on RPOs, line checks, etc. Although we certainly have preached how reading what the other team is doing is integral to our systems. Obviously recognizing coverage, for example, is important even if you don't have the authority to change the play. Looks like they are going to give the players more responsibilities on the field, now. I'm all for that. If it goes well, the simple idea that you are in charge of making things happen instead of trying to meet someone else's expectations can be powerful.

Deleted member 2897

I hope we just know the plays. It seemed like so many games we had no idea what the plays were. Our entire platoon of QBs averaged 45% completion percentage. We averaged 13 points per game on offense against FBS competition in regulation - less than 2 scores in an entire game...across the entire season.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is that much of a difference in how we practice? Like we didn’t practice before. I don’t get what can be sooooo different.

I’m pretty sure our guys tried really hard before as well. You can’t make Jimmy small X into Joe super O no matter how hard you practice.

listen to todays collins presser after practice. He literally verbatim said what i said....it is that different

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
listen to todays collins presser after practice. He literally verbatim said what i said....it is that different

That is almost shameful. And I know I will piss off the GCG faithful. But that is a pretty lame excuse for performance.

The idea for getting all the reps you can out of practice is great. Having all the players engaged is great. But to blame teaching P5 players how to practice takes a year does not make sense to me. Having practiced and played football, the way you practice did not take a great deal of time to change.

Flame suit on...

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
On Tuesdays we do drill X, Y, Z
On Thursdays drill A, B, C

Here's this chant we're gonna do to keep our energy up

Here's the rooms where the X position group will meet and at these times

Here's what those meetings will look like. Here's what the agenda is for the season

In case you've never done drill X before, here's how it's done (times n drills times n players)

Here's the part of practice we'll do indoors, here's how it's different from outdoors

Etc
Etc
Etc

I can go on and on. I'm sure it took a while for them to explain the whole new system of practice to all 100ish players and make sure they understand it. I'm sure they wasted time teaching, disciplining, etc players who didn't get it the first time.

Now they only have to teach it to the 8 newbies and later on to the 15-20 newbies. That's not as hard as all 100ish especially since the older players will take some initiative in helping them teach the newbies.

Not to mention the fact that they have to learn the new system of playing, the new terminology, get acquainted with their new coaches, etc.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That is almost shameful. And I know I will piss off the GCG faithful. But that is a pretty lame excuse for performance.

The idea for getting all the reps you can out of practice is great. Having all the players engaged is great. But to blame teaching P5 players how to practice takes a year does not make sense to me. Having practiced and played football, the way you practice did not take a great deal of time to change.

Flame suit on...
Not sure why you’re surprised. The staff is learning as well. They only had 2 months to get organized and had to close recruiting leading into spring practice. Yeah some of the embellishments probably can be taken in a bad light, but that’s just the way the new culture is.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
On Tuesdays we do drill X, Y, Z
On Thursdays drill A, B, C

Here's this chant we're gonna do to keep our energy up

Here's the rooms where the X position group will meet and at these times

Here's what those meetings will look like. Here's what the agenda is for the season

In case you've never done drill X before, here's how it's done (times n drills times n players)

Here's the part of practice we'll do indoors, here's how it's different from outdoors

Etc
Etc
Etc

I can go on and on. I'm sure it took a while for them to explain the whole new system of practice to all 100ish players and make sure they understand it. I'm sure they wasted time teaching, disciplining, etc players who didn't get it the first time.

Now they only have to teach it to the 8 newbies and later on to the 15-20 newbies. That's not as hard as all 100ish especially since the older players will take some initiative in helping them teach the newbies.

Not to mention the fact that they have to learn the new system of playing, the new terminology, get acquainted with their new coaches, etc.

I’d bet you’re right about the new guys. CGC mentioned a “big brother” system. So those 8 & 15 new players are definitely being paired with what I would assume is ‘veteran’ players from the same position group who know the flow of things and have a responsibility of making sure the newbies are where they need to be.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It is night and day different
I’ve also heard that the new way is “funner” and there is music piped in.

Is that the difference? Just a better time while working out? It makes sense that players/recruits would want to have a good time. I’m sure there are a lot of old “whitebread” stodgy programs. Is rap music while working out the game changer or just our staff in general the difference?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’ve also heard that the new way is “funner” and there is music piped in.

Is that the difference? Just a better time while working out? It makes sense that players/recruits would want to have a good time. I’m sure there are a lot of old “whitebread” stodgy programs. Is rap music while working out the game changer or just our staff in general the difference?

we had music during the Gailey yrs and few times during CPJ. What’s different is down time. During FG most of the team would be on the sideline watching. There is no such thing as down time any more. Every second of the 5 min periods, EVERY player is working something. It’s an organized Chinese fire drill. In past, your backups may not live reps of 7on7 and team all practice now they getting that and more. These are the more efficient practices I’ve ever witnessed

stech81

Helluva Engineer
we had music during the Gailey yrs and few times during CPJ. What’s different is down time. During FG most of the team would be on the sideline watching. There is no such thing as down time any more. Every second of the 5 min periods, EVERY player is working something. It’s an organized Chinese fire drill. In past, your backups may not live reps of 7on7 and team all practice now they getting that and more. These are the more efficient practices I’ve ever witnessed
Doesn't seem like we would have enough coaches . Oh my daughter talked to Anthony Barnes wife said he is doing fine. He is a math teacher at Cartersville and helps coaching there also.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Flame suit on...

eh. Eh. Blah blah. Its not an excuse for performance at all. Its just fact thats what happened last spring and this one should be alot more productive

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Ah. Interesting. Thanks for the info!!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't seem like we would have enough coaches . Oh my daughter talked to Anthony Barnes wife said he is doing fine. He is a math teacher at Cartersville and helps coaching there also.

practices are run by WAY more than defined coaches!!