Radford U - Opening Weekend

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of the 1st inning with Busse, team expectations were met and some areas exceeded expectations.

The good:
Offense.
Every starter got on base multiple times.
7 home runs- Drew Burress with 2 hr's. Kid is just flat special. Vaughn Lackey first ab HR
21 runs- Boys hit the ball hard
Transfers are as advertised so far (Beccheti, Green, Matthew Ellis, Zmarzlak & Yunger)

Pitching:
Solid effort by the pen to overcome the 6 runs given up in the 1st. 2 runs over 8 innings.
Tate McKee- Welcome to the flats young man.
Ben King-wasn't as dominant as usual but solid three innings to settle the team down

Defense:
Overall i thought was solid outside of the early errors

The Bad
9 walks - Uggh - This has to stop !!!

The Ugly:
Busse. Okay lets discuss. 6 runs given up with 3 hits. 3 walks. 1 hit batter. The hits given up are no big deal but can't give up the free passes and hit batters as a starter.
I believe Busse gets the next Friday night start but if he's shaky again, he may be moved back to the bullpen as weekend series #3 is uga.

Overall I really love the depth, defense, and offensive potential of this team. Love the bullpen coming in to only give up 2 runs over 8.

Still contend this team is playoff tournament worthy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some tidbits:
- Sabathia was a little 'under the weather' per CDH
- Cam Jones may be on mound today (at some point)
- Players seem to be on a 1st name basis with "Matt" Taylor (just interesting to me)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The Ugly:
Busse. Okay lets discuss. 6 runs given up with 3 hits. 3 walks. 1 hit batter. The hits given up are no big deal but can't give up the free passes and hit batters as a starter.
I believe Busse gets the next Friday night start but if he's shaky again, he may be moved back to the bullpen as weekend series #3 is uga.

Overall I really love the depth, defense, and offensive potential of this team. Love the bullpen coming in to only give up 2 runs over 8.

Still contend this team is playoff tournament worthy.

Good overview. Thanks.

Listening to Hall interview he said that Busse had a tough start and would bounce back and be fine since he's such a hard worker. I think he said Busse will start Friday but it was hard to hear the video audio (who would believe? football and basketball interviews have got the audio together but not baseball).

My recollection is that Busse's three starts last year didn't go well. (If anyone has his starting game stats without going to StatBroadcast that would be great.) He had a good summer (but only 3.2 IP as reliever) in Cape Cod. Busse is #57 starting pitcher pre-season by D1.

We'll see next Friday. Maybe he is a better reliever. But we really need starters.

1708174876549.png

1708175301691.png

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Good overview. Thanks.

Listening to Hall interview he said that Busse had a tough start and would bounce back and be fine since he's such a hard worker. I think he said Busse will start Friday but it was hard to hear the video audio (who would believe? football and basketball interviews have got the audio together but not baseball).

My recollection is that Busse's three starts last year didn't go well. (If anyone has his starting game stats without going to StatBroadcast that would be great.) He had a good summer (but only 3.2 IP as reliever) in Cape Cod. Busse is #57 starting pitcher pre-season by D1.

We'll see next Friday. Maybe he is a better reliever. But we really need starters.

View attachment 15747
View attachment 15748
I agree.

Busse is transitioning to being a starter. That's tough and especially moving to the Friday night role.

I think it came across not how intended. I REALLY think Busse is an excellent ACC caliber pitcher. I believe yesterday was an aberration.

He's working to go deeper in games so stamina and pitch selection is far different than a closer role. In addition, he's developing a 4 seam fastball to add to his pitch selection. He may have been trying to work on that pitch vs his strength.

Either way, he's going to be fine no matter what role he takes on but ultimately I was VERY pleased with yesterday if anyone thinks differently.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I made a singular attempt to access radio audio yesterday at start of game via GT GameDay app. Certainly possible it was user error, but it didn't appear to be available there despite GT Baseball saying that's how to get it. I ended up using TuneIn app/Wrek radio.

Anybody else have this problem?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I made a singular attempt to access radio audio yesterday at start of game via GT GameDay app. Certainly possible it was user error, but it didn't appear to be available there despite GT Baseball saying that's how to get it. I ended up using TuneIn app/Wrek radio.

I had problem getting on WREK to start just using TuneIn. After second inning watching and listening on Sling, TuneIn audio was fine for me. I figured operator error.

Good news is we have Wiley /Wren on ACCNX today and tomorrow (Dusty).

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Good overview. Thanks.

View attachment 15747
View attachment 15748
He started @VPISU, @Miami, and vs Gardner Webb. We won 2 of the 3, but the Miami game was a shorted one.

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/GT042923.pdf - Gardner Webb
https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/gt0423-2.pdf - Miami
https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/gt041623.pdf - VPISU

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He started @VPISU, @Miami, and vs Gardner Webb. We won 2 of the 3, but the Miami game was a shorted one.

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/GT042923.pdf - Gardner Webb
https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/gt0423-2.pdf - Miami
https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/gt041623.pdf - VPISU

Thanks. How did you know which games he started in? I use the RamblinWreck stats for individual players to see individual game stats but that is only good for current season.

Anyway, about a 11.2 ERA in in each of his 3 starts. He was consistent and gave up 4 ER in each game. And made it 3.1, 3.1 and 3.0 IP ( 56, 79, 72 pitches) in each game.

Given Cape Cod had him as a reliever and he hasn't done well in any of 4 starts, maybe he should be a reliever / closer again? Hopefully he goes out and has a great start against Cornell next Friday. IIWII.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

GT app worked fine for me. I occasionally had troubles with it last season, but yesterday it was flawless.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
GT app worked fine for me. I occasionally had troubles with it last season, but yesterday it was flawless.
I used that also and it worked well. Only time it didn’t work for me was when I was out of cell/wifi range.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks. How did you know which games he started in? I use the RamblinWreck stats for individual players to see individual game stats but that is only good for current season.

Anyway, about a 11.2 ERA in in each of his 3 starts. He was consistent and gave up 4 ER in each game. And made it 3.1, 3.1 and 3.0 IP ( 56, 79, 72 pitches) in each game.

Given Cape Cod had him as a reliever and he hasn't done well in any of 4 starts, maybe he should be a reliever / closer again? Hopefully he goes out and has a great start against Cornell next Friday. IIWII.
He had a star next to the games he started, iirc

There is an archive tab that has previous seasons stats

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice 7-3 win.

Still ecstatic that Diamant was pulled when he came in and walked two batters. 4 strikes in 12 pitchers. Cam Jones called to pitch and was superb; 18 strikes in 26 pitches. Other than Busse, pitching has been ok first two days. It's only Radford but we could have gotten worse results.

Finateri was great. 6.0 IP and only 1 run. 85 pitches and 8 SO. Hope Patel is as sharp tomorrow.

Hitting ok for a cold day with wind blowing in I think. We left 11 on and had some baserunning errors. But a win is a win.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's talk game 2
Love what Aeden was able to accomplish. Great outing today. He battles, is in the zone consistently, and has an attitude on the mound. Love his fight. 6 innings pitched giving up one run is fantastic. Would love to get 5-6 innings consistently from our starters.

Really interested in seeing what Mason Patel from GSU is able to do tomorrow as the Sunday starter. Was thinking he would be a bullpen arm making for a deep pen but if he turns out to be a weekend rotation guy, then i think that's outstanding with Cam Hill and Logan Maguire out there.

I agree with other posters that Hill starts on Tuesday.

Offense continued to barrel up the ball however it was flat out cold, and the wind was blowing in, so it was a positive overall day for the offense. 6 of our nine players in the lineup are transfers and they all are contributing. Trey Yunger is just truly a baseball player with outstanding baseball IQ. Beccheti- I'm a fan.

Impressed with Cam Jones in relief and at the plate. Demitri is a key bullpen piece, but he was struggling today and PC Matt Taylor had a quick hook and brought Cam Jones in. I thought this was outstanding. Danny Borrell waited until our pitchers were in real trouble expecting them to be like professional ball players. These are college kids. They need encouragement and pulling them early helps their confidence imo so I think the early returns on Matt Taylor are positive.

Managing a professional pitching staff is much different than managing a college staff.

I will admit that I was just flat out wrong about the potential of Carson Kerce starting. Payton Green is an absolute stud. I know it's only game 2 but the kid is hitting .857 and he hit an opposite field hr that shows just how strong the kid is. Thank you NC State.

Another big school transfer is Brett Thomas from South Carolina. Looked good today. Gave up a run but it was unearned.

I felt these two kids from big time programs had very high upsides. So far. So good.

This team seems to have great chemistry. Just seems different than last year. John Giesler alluded to that in the fall exhibition games but I think I see it now.

The team celebrated the first ab hr for Lackey yesterday.

This team just seems different.

I really like the makeup, depth, and overall talent mix between the freshmen and experience of the transfers.

Again, I know it's game 2 against Radford but go get the sweep tomorrow boys and head to the Boro with a lot of MO.

My son starts his 14u season on Tuesday otherwise I'd head to the Boro myself to cheer on the boys!

Go Joltin J's!!!

Just a FYI- Take out the 6 run 1st in yesterday's game and our team ERA is 2.18.
Add in the 6 run 1st (5 earned)- it's 4.50

I'll take it!

I also will add that I'm a huge fan of Giesler. During the autograph session post game, he had an extended conversation with my son not only to thank him for his support but he asked him if he plays baseball and when his season starts all the while playing a three hour game and it was in the low 40's. My smile had a grin ear to ear and is stoked to wear his Giesler signed baseball cap to his 14 u practice on Tuesday!
Thanks John from a grateful dad and tech baseball fan!!!

Last edited: