Questions on offensive scheme makeup.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
Since there isn't an "Offensive Scheme Q&A Thread" here like in the football forum I wanted to ask someone who's watched the team closely a couple of questions.

1) Do we intend to go into the low post a lot? I've only watched the Uga game and saw Cox and Mitchell post up low and they didn't get the ball as often when posting, specially in the first half.

2) Do we intent to run a lot of pick and rolls? I saw many high screens in the Uga game but don't remember the screener rolling out and getting the ball for a score. The ball handler always kept it and drived/dished I believe.

Once again I just watched the Uga game and was not attentively looking at the X's and O's so maybe I missed these, can someone let me know.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Mitchell rcvd the ball on a pick and pop play in the first half for a jumpshot and score. Missed one in the second half IIRC.

We ran a few different sets but mostly high screen to get TJ into the lane and dish accordingly.
When we ran the flex offense (or variations of the flex offense) the ball was worked into the post frequently.

The second half against UGA we were a little out of sync, Q's threes werent the result of any real set plays from what I could tell, we weren't running him off screens or anything, he just did a good job at finding some space and whether it be an offensive rebound or dribble drive he got some good looks and knocked em down.

It does look like it is CBGs intent to utilize his frontcourt in the offense more this year than years past.
You may know more tomorrow, I expect us to pound it to the block with regularity tomorrow and really open up the wings for Q and Tadric.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You may know more tomorrow, I expect us to pound it to the block with regularity tomorrow and really open up the wings for Q and Tadric.

Jackson is 0-11 for 3 point attempts. He is shooting 18% for the year. He was not an outside shooter in HS. What do you do with a 6-2 guy who can't shoot?

I am impressed with Gregory's ability to recruit big guys, but he has yet to recruit a 2 who can shoot. Three point shooting is critical in modern basketball.

I expect see lots of zone this year. This team can't shoot FT. Foul when the ball comes inside and put them at the line.

The only hope is that Jorgenson will get healthy, and be able to get a push off of his knee to permit a consistent jump shot. Then, you will have the two shooters you need to bust the zone.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Jackson is 0-11 for 3 point attempts. He is shooting 18% for the year. He was not an outside shooter in HS. What do you do with a 6-2 guy who can't shoot?

I am impressed with Gregory's ability to recruit big guys, but he has yet to recruit a 2 who can shoot. Three point shooting is critical in modern basketball.

I expect see lots of zone this year. This team can't shoot FT. Foul when the ball comes inside and put them at the line.

The only hope is that Jorgenson will get healthy, and be able to get a push off of his knee to permit a consistent jump shot. Then, you will have the two shooters you need to bust the zone.

yep, Jackson is a scorer not a pure shooter
it is obvious after 3 games, he has a transition to big boy bball to make--lots of shots but few buckets--he has skills but it may be a while before he makes a difference