Question

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I seem to remember there was some sort of outcry (maybe from politicians or sports writers) to make Tech use the east sidelines after disorderly students had caused an issue during a game. Seems to me it was either during Pepper Rodgers or Bill Curry's time at GT. The incident may have occurred against Notre Dame.

I seem to remember there was some sort of outcry (maybe from politicians or sports writers) to make Tech use the east sidelines after disorderly students had caused an issue during a game. Seems to me it was either during Pepper Rodgers or Bill Curry's time at GT. The incident may have occurred against Notre Dame.
Yes, after the infamous Dan Devine ND game, when the students (then on the sideline) threw bottles at Devine and the ND team, there was a LOUD outcry about it, as there should have been. But it never change, nor should it have.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Yes, after the infamous Dan Devine ND game, when the students (then on the sideline) threw bottles at Devine and the ND team, there was a LOUD outcry about it, as there should have been. But it never change, nor should it have.

So when did they throw fish at ND? Was it the next time they came, after the outcry about the bottles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in the band sitting in lower east at ND game where the stuff was being thrown - 78 I think. ND players wisely never took their helmets off on sideline the whole game. The frozen fish sticks were funny at the time and wouldn't have hurt anyone. The bottles from the upper deck at the end of the game should have had someone arrested. They weren't airline bottles, they were big glass ones and went right over my head. When the bottles hit the ground, the ND team rightly left the sideline and went to center of the field. I was concerned Tech students were going to get hit in the stands. Way out of line.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I know I have been going to the game since 1981 but has Tech ever used the East sidelines while at home ?

Not in the TV era. You want the visitors to be in the hot Atlanta sun.

You'll see some shots, especially in some of the "Uniform Threads," of the team on the East Sideline - obvious by the location of the old North Stands & Heisman Gym, of a dark jersey GT using the East Sidelines, but not since.

Animal02

Banned
I was in the band sitting in lower east at ND game where the stuff was being thrown - 78 I think. ND players wisely never took their helmets off on sideline the whole game. The frozen fish sticks were funny at the time and wouldn't have hurt anyone. The bottles from the upper deck at the end of the game should have had someone arrested. They weren't airline bottles, they were big glass ones and went right over my head. When the bottles hit the ground, the ND team rightly left the sideline and went to center of the field. I was concerned Tech students were going to get hit in the stands. Way out of line.
IIRC, our fraternity house dining steward (who posts here) took order for frozen fish the week before the game. ;)