Question on Player Smarts?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One comment here:

Jaybo had run an offense like ours for 3 years in high school. His dad switched over to a shotgun spread in his senior year because he didn't have anyone to play BB and has stuck with it since. It isn't a coinky-dink that Shaw turned out to be the best QB for our O we've ever had in terms of sheer technique. Too bad he didn't pair that with the necessary physical talent.
Yep if he would have been as big as Conner we would have had something....Jaybo did well at GSU but he was kind of brittle at times.He did know how to read the option and we have not been doing that in a while.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
@foggy flawed argument. How many Tech students or the fans can tell you what is Cov 3? What is a stunt? What is the difference between a slant or an angle? (BTW I think a Football 101 would be good for the off season mods)

Also, coaching is a 2-way street. Yeah I've seen shotty techniques being taught, but I also seen bad habits not being broken either by the players on things I know that are being taught everyday (Vad throwing off his back foot, DBs constantly keeping their eyes in the backfield, LBs not reading their keys and letting pocket QBs run the ball like they are Manziel)
I coached the cover 2 but back then we called it two deep yet you read the qb and rotated on the wheel.One thing always was the inside backers reading the back in the backfied and go with him if it was on his side of the field.I see the guy now looking for a reciver and the back getting loose.How many times did Ga on long passed throw to Gurley........he was open so much that the announcer was calling the play.............makes me wonder at times but of course old folks get that way.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Most of the time, all problems are due to lack of good coaching. The teams which keep all mistakes down to a small percentage, the results are most always due to the coaching and the mindset of certain members of the team. Fundamental tackling, blocking, etal, is also due to good coaching. Regardless of those who think these things don't happen, they do happen. Many times when a team is unhappy with certain segments of the process, linemen will sometimes let tacklers through on purpose, backs will run lackluster, receivers will miss easy passes, etal. A fan can bury his head in the sand, but these things do happen every season at some schools. I have seen it happen many times over the years, and I have no doubt that it happened at USC this past year until Kiffin was fired. I have seen teams make all these little mistakes and purposeful omissions to get a coach fired. The next year, a new coach comes in and miraculously all of these items disappear and everyone is doing well again. Regardless of the naysayers on this issue, it absolutely does happen every year at some schools.

Will these problems disappear next year, when the team is not divided on the choice of quarterbacks, remains to be seen. I am sure there will less division over this issue next year, but if the team is unhappy in other areas, the same type of problems may exist. For instance, if there is no free substitution and few players get all the playing time in the games, I can assure you there will not be blissfulness on the team (unless the team is winning most of the games), because the less players that get in a game, the less each feels part of the team, and this creates more disharmony. Although, I detest the idea of players not giving their best because they do not like the choices or coach, the fans can see the same things of which the players are aware. It was no secret to the fans that Vad Lee was not the answer as an option QB. It was indisputable about the reasoning that the other QB's should have been given playing time to provide an alternative and ready the other QB's for game service. If the QB was performing at high efficiency, there would have been no division among the players regarding this issue, nor would the fans have been unhappy with the choices made.

Personally, I think the ineptness of the team this past year was a shared role of both the coaches and the players. I think the players became upset at some of the poor choices and game plans by the coaches, and I believe some of the players did not try to do their best.
Hey Randy...remember the story of Charley Trippi came back from the Army and came back to georgie.He was supposed to be and was so good that the young guys would look at him when ball was snapped to see how good he was..........We are not like that yet...but something is going on in Techtown.Last night on Augusta news Vad hit the news and also Tech denied that PJ was unhappy at tech which may mean he ....is unhappy.What a drama story this has been.........

Mack

Helluva Engineer
:wideyed: Rodney's post ^ makes good sense and would explain a lot. Recall when Bobby Ross was very close to hanging it up at Tech and move on. The players called a private meeting and aired out their laundry. Next thing you know, we don't lose anymore games that season and finish as national champs the next year. Call it team chemistry or whatever, you don't win consistently without it (e.g., compare Bobby Cremins vs. B*** L****), regardless of the quality of the players.
One thing Ross did was not play any redshirts his first year ....he took the lumps and yes he wondered if he was in the right place.He was of course yet his last year remember the team wanted to reinstate Bell and he said..........no and I think the team did not play up to capacity even though they had great stars left in the ranks.Of course having the Fridge and GOL was pretty good staff to whiter the storm with him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I will say this, we are undisciplined. This is seems to be especially true in big games. I'm not sure why but most times that is a function of coaching and leadership.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I will say this, we are undisciplined. This is seems to be especially true in big games. I'm not sure why but most times that is a function of coaching and leadership.
Well we seem to become unraveld at the wrong time no matter what the causes.Maybe folks can understand that .