Question for you X and O guys

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
I admit I don't understand our OL blocking scheme. Still, I wonder why the B back is stuffed so often at the line of scrimmage. Is it a bad read by the QB or do the guards simply whiff on the block? I realize we often leave defenders unblocked but that guard/center gap seems to be left open too often. Back in the Dark Ages I was taught to always protect the inside gap especially when running between the tackles. So how about helping me understand this and it may be I am seeing a problem where none exists.

bowdon rambler

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know a whole lot about it, but Johnson did say they Vander was determined to stop the dive which allowed for the outside to be open all day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The answer is sometimes all of the above. Sometimes we run the dive and the D blitzes causing no gain. In some cases it is a bad read when we run the triple.

In the case of yesterday I think CPJ indicated the 4i player was causing Mills to not let JT pull it. That is just an experience thing.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's a combination of getting beat up front and bad reads by the QB. We're fortunate to have an experienced kid like JT as the reads are getting harder and harder. Good DC's are now teaching their ends and tackles to immediately show commit or crash but actually play the keep or pitch. It's really difficult vs a smart front.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Would need to look at the tape, but...

In the midline, we don't block the first dude to the right of the center (the give read) so he could blow up the mesh if he reads it or guesses right.
midline.png

In the triple option, we don't block the end. The Sam and Strong side End could blow up the mesh if they jumped it.

triple option.png

In his radio show, CPJ mentioned that Vandy showed some "eagling" of their 3-4 front, which is stacking the TNT tightly onto the GCG. This can push the CGC, allow the backside T to get involved and generally muck up the a-b gaps where BBacks typically mesh with the QB.
eagling.png

BC did some of this, and some stunting and twisting to throw off the pre-snap reads. I do remember a couple of these plays, and gasping when dedrick was wrapped up and it looked like justin had to rip the ball out to fight another day.