Question about the New Defense

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You mean instead of the awkward slow dance our “tacklers” try to implement with an unwilling opponent?

I don't know about the rest of the team but the only "dancing" was done by a defensive back after he stonewalled a back out of the backfield just as he caught a pass.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Last night, I was watching a full game replay of Tech vs. Vanderbilt from 2002. You will recall it was Chan's first year. What struck me was how crisp, for lack of a better word, the tackling was especially by linebackers and defensive backs. Vanderbilt was under a new coach as well named Bobby Johnson who had installed a quick pass offense that emphasized ball control along with some option and power running. It was very conservative but they absolutely could not move the ball because although the Vanderbilt quarterbacks would throw quickly the receivers would be stopped in their tracks and I mean there was no yards after contact, no falling forward, no nothing. It was like they had hit a brick wall. Imagine that now.
I am stopping short of prayer, but I am hopeful. In other news, Chan Gailey fans will be happy to know that come April he will be inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. Others will be Dabo Swinney, Tim Hudson -- a terrific major leaguer for 17 years, and ... Terrell Owens. Still not inducted into the HOF is Vinegar Bend Mizell, and what kind of hall is that?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Keep us posted on your insights...I am very excited by the potential of a decent defense to support our innovative offense!

My insights are pure speculation no better than anyone else here.

Keep on the lookout for posts from @vamosjackets @Ibeeballin @steebu and @stylee

I know I’m leaving some other good ones out as I shoot from the hip but those are some of our most insightful guys imo and I’m always on the lookout for their posts.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
No. I’m saying a new scheme with new terminology typically brings a learning curve to get past. That alone should be a bit of a hurdle for our D to overcome this year.
And I think that's a perfectly fair point.

I expect the guys to improve as the year goes on, but I also expect they'll be better in years 2 & 3 then they will in year one.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s good to know because all the mutts I know claim it as Erk’s divine inspiration. I like the GA Southern Erk a lot better than the uga one :)
I remember asking my Dad what "GATA" meant. IIRC I was reading the AJC account of the 1962 Alabama- Ga. Tech game and Rufus Guthrie had a towel hanging out of the back of his pants with "GATA" printed on it.