Question about our OL

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would like to know something about cut blocking.

1) Is it up to each individual OL to cut block or power block on a play.
Or
2) Are there only certain plays that we cut block all time.
Or
3) Is it used only if a defensive player lines up a certain way.

just want to know

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would like to know something about cut blocking.

1) Is it up to each individual OL to cut block or power block on a play.
Or
2) Are there only certain plays that we cut block all time.
Or
3) Is it used only if a defensive player lines up a certain way.

just want to know

I'm pretty sure that at the line of scrimmage, there are certain plays where the backside OT and OG are expected to scoop (cut). I think that our OL have an option at the second level how they get their blocks but are commended for getting them to the ground. Now, it was my impression that when DL who are supposed to be cut are lined up too far from the LOS to be effectively cut, then they can be drive-blocked.

Similarly, our A-Backs have an option how they get their blocks on the perimeter, but they typically arc/cut.

I'm not an expert, but that's been my impression.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that at the line of scrimmage, there are certain plays where the backside OT and OG are expected to scoop (cut). I think that our OL have an option at the second level how they get their blocks but are commended for getting them to the ground. Now, it was my impression that when DL who are supposed to be cut are lined up too far from the LOS to be effectively cut, then they can be drive-blocked.

Similarly, our A-Backs have an option how they get their blocks on the perimeter, but they typically arc/cut.

I'm not an expert, but that's been my impression.
Thanks